Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Though I've tried 3 times in the past to play Morrowind and gave up for various reasons, I'm going to give it another go but as close to the vanilla experience without too many rage-quitting lack of QoL features as possible. I'm going to use the GOG GOTY version along with the latest OpenMW. Already noticing some nice perks like Dolby 5.1 surround sound, widescreen high resolution and controller support (yes, I'm a total couchtard these days when it comes to my gaming). So, unless any of you want to talk me out of this and holler something like, "NOOOOO! DON'T USE THE OPENMW VERSION! IT'S NOT THE WAY IT'S DONE, INFIDEL DOG!" I shall commence enjoyment of this classic that I always wanted to play but never did.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Though I've tried 3 times in the past to play Morrowind and gave up for various reasons, I'm going to give it another go but as close to the vanilla experience without too many rage-quitting lack of QoL features as possible. I'm going to use the GOG GOTY version along with the latest OpenMW. Already noticing some nice perks like Dolby 5.1 surround sound, widescreen high resolution and controller support (yes, I'm a total couchtard these days when it comes to my gaming). So, unless any of you want to talk me out of this and holler something like, "NOOOOO! DON'T USE THE OPENMW VERSION! IT'S NOT THE WAY IT'S DONE, INFIDEL DOG!" I shall commence enjoyment of this classic that I always wanted to play but never did.
What're you rolling?

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
What're you rolling?

Homegrown. Grew it on my own deck.

By the way, I did at first install one of those huge overhauls that made everything 1000 times prettier - too fucking pretty - and I realized I just couldn't bring myself to play it for more than a few minutes. The black guard that greats me below deck at the start, for example, looked like a lavender Snoop Doggy Dog that just returned from the beauty parlor and nail salon. I could practically smell his parfume before he even came below deck. I guess I'm just an old fashioned, vanilla kind of guy so OpenMW it is then, even if the walking animations of the guards still look like they're trying to hide the fact that they just did a dookie in their armor.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What're you rolling?

By the way, I did at first install one of those huge overhauls that made everything 1000 times prettier - too fucking pretty - and I realized I just couldn't bring myself to play it for more than a few minutes. The black guard that greats me below deck at the start, for example, looked like a lavender Snoop Doggy Dog that just returned from the beauty parlor and nail salon. I could practically smell his parfume before he even came below deck. I guess I'm just an old fashioned, vanilla kind of guy so OpenMW it is then, even if the walking animations of the guards still look like they're trying to hide the fact that they just did a dookie in their armor.
I meant what character. But okay, homegrown is a good choice.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
What're you rolling?

I meant what character. But okay, homegrown is a good choice.

I picked the (default?) Dark Elf but only to test things out with OpenMW. I'll probably select something with a little more thought put into it later. I have a question: does the GOTY edition from GOG already have those 8 small official add-ons from Bethesda or do I have to install them separately with OpenMW (which I already did with the GOG version before installing OpenMW... will they automatically transfer over?)? How many hours of additional content do they add?

Funposter

Arcane
Adamantium Armor is good if you have a mod to rebalance the economy/Mercantile so that there's a readily available but genuinely expensive set of medium armor for the player to use and enjoy. LeFemm is pointless because you need mods to fix/expand it. Area Effect Arrows is most useful for having someone other than Creeper to dump your millions of Daedric and Ebony weapons onto.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
OpenMW is a much better experience than the original game at this point unless you absolutely need some MWSE mod (which you don't). Don't install any of the official add-ons, they're all shit.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Only "good" add-on is Bitter Coast Sounds, and even that needs a patch to fix some issues. The other add-ons are either filler, poorly implemented, unnecessary additions, or broken.

prengle

Savant
contrarians like me arent going to shit on you for simply playing the game with openmw - it has redeeming qualities and its been improving recently - i just think that the vanilla engine with extensions is still objectively better for any modding whatsoever, even if its janky and unintuitive. i cant even emphasize just how much of a fucking godsend lua is, just look at all of the shit on lucevar's list. this is why i still get flustered whenever some dipshit on reddit suggests openmw for a heavily modded morrowind install, i havent even tried any of the newer mods on that github page. youre missing out on almost all of this shit with openmw (except for a few mods which had support for them specifically implemented into the engine, which tbqh reminds me of zsnes and other ancient emulators that used compatibility hacks to get games working)

also opencs isnt great, i still get graphical glitches and low fps with my amd card and i might just prefer the original engine because i have severe 'tism and ive used it for years so im used to it. i might be incredibly biased. maybe when im desperate and sleepdrunk and i give a shit about morrowind again ill try another nightly release

and yes, avoid the free bethesda plugins, they range from being harmless but mediocre (firemoth, master index, etc) to confusingly bad (lefemm) and there are so many fixed versions of them and compatibility esps that i almost never bother with them until i get antsy after noticing that firemoth is missing from the world map. combined with tribunal and bloodmoon they feel like theyre foretelling the sheer horror that bethesda unleashed with oblivion a few years later. i really really dont want to think about oblivion at 2 am... or ever, really

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
i think its the bump maps and real time shadows making most of the difference but some of that texture work isnt bad either.

Robber Baron

Savant
Shit son, now we're talking

WRQeWaI.jpg

Do these features work with TES3MP? Because I can't wait for some Tamriel Rebuilt coop now

Santander02

Arcane
^Was going to rate retarded but then I remembered it's been like more than a decade since an rpg non indie games in general had a good PC ui so maybe I've been so used to suffering trough shitty console focused UI's that make the Morrowind UI look like heaven by comparission so dunno.

Last edited:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hm, the art assets look good but IMO the lighting is off, and especially indoor areas need more ambient lighting (they're too dark). Outdoors also look too bright and clean (kinda closer to Oblivion's environments)... Morrowind isn't that clean and bright looking.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
is it blasphemy that i think that UI is better? Guys, morrowind's UI was garbage
The two pioneering CRPG interfaces are found in Dungeon Master and Morrowind.

Dungeon Master in 1987 created the "paper doll" inventory screen and for its main interface ringed the central first-person view with controls and info relating to each party member, the party members in relation to each other (and individual party member facing!), the magic system for spellcasting, weapons/items held by each character for immediate use, and directional movement --- all contained on one screen!

VehXEyN.jpg
YYLI2T4.png

Morrowind in 2002 presented basic information at the bottom of its first-person (or optionally behind-the-shoulder) view but pressing the right mouse button would instantly pause the game and bring up four windowed menu screens, which could be resized and moved around as desired. The image below is from Mobygames, and the windows have been moved and resized from their defaults, but it demonstrates the separate menus for inventory, magic, the map, and character statistics.

26818-the-elder-scrolls-iii-morrowind-windows-screenshot-inventory.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom