Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your recommended CRPGs from the last decade?

overly excitable young man

There is only one Deus Ex

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
I've noticed the only person (I think) to mention Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is a shitposter. Did felipepepe or JarlFrank play it? What I heard about it in comparison to DX:HR around release made me cautiously optimistic that it was an improvement on the previous iteration.
I was under the impression that it was quite short and that it ended on somewhat of a cliffhanger?

Depends on what you define as "quite short". Fallout, beloved by many, by RPG standards is very short.

Vatnik Wumao
I've noticed the only person (I think) to mention Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is a shitposter. Did felipepepe or JarlFrank play it? What I heard about it in comparison to DX:HR around release made me cautiously optimistic that it was an improvement on the previous iteration.
I was under the impression that it was quite short and that it ended on somewhat of a cliffhanger?

Depends on what you define as "quite short".
As opposed to HR.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

I am not a shitposter just because i have better taste than most of you. I do not pretend to like archaic obsolete gameplay norms for brownie points here, this does not make me a "shitposter", this actually makes me more prestigious than any of you. Video games are meant to become better with technology, not stick to what worked in the 90s just because you grew up and you can't be kids again.

"Dude like Fallout is completely obsolete now. Just play Mass Effect. It's almost the same. Totally rad!"

What are you doing on a Fallout fansite than you retard? Fuck off already and suck some aids ridden dick!
I has aged like fine wine, cum stain!

Gregz

Arcane
Mount & Blade: Warband
Knights of the Chalice
Shadowrun: Dragonfall
Fallout: New Vegas
Fallout 76
Wasteland 2
Dragon Age: Origins
Lords of Xulima
The Witcher 3
Underrail
Alpha Protocol

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
What are you doing on a Fallout fansite than you retard? Fuck off already and suck some aids ridden dick!
I has aged like fine wine, cum stain!

So did it age like fine wine, or a cum stain? I'm sorry, but your frothing seething makes you incoherent.

Last edited:

Like fine wine, you fucking cum stain!
Listen! What's even a fucking auraculum? Who cares, you loser!

The Jester

Cipher
Fallout 76

145-1451193_image-not-found-or-type-unknown-mickey-with.png

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Since you mentioned Deus Ex I'll say the last two modern ones are pretty good if you haven't played them, especially Human Revolution. Dishonored series and Prey are also good, if you consider them RPGs.

For open world 3D stuff I guess the standard answer is Witcher 3, though I found its marker-to-marker gameplay kind of tedious. The last two Assassin's Creed games are similar. Horizon Zero Dawn is coming to PC soon and also similar. For first-person in that genre, there's been very little since Fallout 4, which was roughly the same quality as Bethesda's other post-Morrowind stuff. Outer Worlds is alright but pretty limited in scope, and its RPG aspects are weak.

For isometric stuff, my favorites of the "incline era" are the Shadowrun games. Just great mood and atmosphere, great writing and solid (if nothing revolutionary) turn-based combat. Dragonfall especially is pretty good. I also enjoyed Kingmaker, which is more like a D&D game, though it has quirks that are annoying.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Like fine wine, you fucking cum stain!
Listen! What's even a fucking auraculum? Who cares, you loser!

You can always check a dictionary, as soon as the narcotics wear off, that is. Have a good day, little furry.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Mount & Blade: Warband
Knights of the Chalice
Shadowrun: Dragonfall
Fallout: New Vegas
Fallout 76
Dragon Age: Origins
Lords of Xulima
The Witcher 3
Underrail
Alpha Protocol

Cyanide should do the trick.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Just wanted to recommand Dungeon Rats if you appreciate AoD combat system. A prison crawler featuring only combat and death. Be aware you can play a party of up to 4 members while AoD is a lone wolf system.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
A small collection of games from the past that top my list include the Goldbox games, Ultima V, Wasteland, Ultima Underworld, Dungeon Master, Fallout 1 and 2 (New Vegas wasn't bad either), Arcanum. The Baldurs Gate games, Planescape, etc weren't bad. Deus Ex 1 was a good run and gun RPG. Jagged Alliance 2, Silent Storm and Temple of Elemental Evil were quite good tactical RPGs. Gothic 1 and 2, and Risen were decent action CRPGs.
Legend of Grimrock (2012) was an homage to Dungeon Master, and the only weakness of the game is that it was too similar to its illustrious predecessor. The sequel, Legend of Grimrock II (2014), innovated on the Dungeon Master formula, in particular with character customization/progression.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (the Codex's top RPG of 2012 2013 2016) focused on action-based combat with a party of 4, where combat is satisfyingly tactile and synergistic. Dark Souls (2011) was the sequel to the console-only Demon's Souls (2009), which both have a single-character party and action-based combat that is even more dependent on the player's physical skill rather than character stats, so they are are only borderline RPGs but could be considered top action RPGs alongside Dragon's Dogma. Salt & Sanctuary (2016) was an attempt at converting Demon's/Dark Souls to a 2D format.

Age of Decadence (2015) showcased both the strengths and limitations of a focus on "choice & consequences", taking inspiration from Fallout and Arcanum but with an excessive reliance on scripting over game mechanics.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance (2018) offered a historically-accurate Open World to play around in, with a number of well-developed systems of game mechanics but an unfortunate focus on a pre-generated player-character and narrative cutscenes.

Kenshi (2018) allowed the player the options of recruiting large squads and engaging in base-building but could also be played as an exploration-focused RPG in the best alien environment since Morrowind. Mount & Blade: Warband (2010) lacks exploration and therefore is not an RPG, but it did present an entertaining medieval battle simulator with some RPG elements.

Outward (2019) was a promising exploration-focused RPG from a new developer.

Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar (2017) should need no further promotion on the Codex.

kA3m1cp.png

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
"Dude like Fallout is completely obsolete now. Just play Mass Effect. It's almost the same. Totally rad!"

Any Mass Effect game, even Andromeda, is VASTLY, infinitely better than Fallout 1/2. They have better gameplay, better stories, better characters. And they are far more immersive. Time on Earth is limited, any youngling is far better served playing the Mass Effect Trilogy to have fun, than to waste his valuable life on playing obsolete overrated games like Fallout 1 and 2.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Mankind Divided has some cool moments and I really like the main city hub, but the story and the areas outside the main hub are so shitty... It's hard to put my finger on it, but it's much more uneven that Human Revolution, and the highs aren't good enough to justify the lows.

Is it worth playing? Yeah, it's still a fun game, and looks really good. But it's clearly inferior than HR.

Casual Hero

Augur

Any Mass Effect game, even Andromeda, is VASTLY, infinitely better than Fallout 1/2. They have better gameplay, better stories, better characters. And they are far more immersive. Time on Earth is limited, any youngling is far better served playing the Mass Effect Trilogy to have fun, than to waste his valuable life on playing obsolete overrated games like Fallout 1 and 2.
Are you even a real person?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Best ones:

Grimoire
Shadowrun Dragonfall
Divinity: Original Sin
Underrail

Really good:

Age of Decadence
Lords of Xulima
Pillars of Eternity II
Tyranny
Wasteland 2
Pathfinder Kingmaker
Disco Communism
Might & Magic X

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Are you even a real person?

Did i hurt your feelings? Seems the vast majority of the gaming community actually agrees with me and not you or the "codex consensus". Just look at sales figures, it is not even a contest, Mass Effect series has sold vastly better than Fallout 1/2 and the games came out far later... Why people don't play Fallout 1 and 2 today in large numbers? Because the games are obsolete, that's why.

I am sorry to tell you the truth, i really am. It is not an easy thing bursting people's illusions that somehow Fallout 1/2 are still unsurpassed to this day and they are the best games ever. They are not, not even close. If released today, those games would be considered mediocre garbage.

It is for the same reason that more people prefer Fallout 4 to Mass Effect games. Fallout 4 is better, so more people like it and play it. No rocket science here, it is entertainment, people always flock to fun games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom