Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
A bit confused with the way melee attack works.

20200728212658_1.jpg

Seems like if I attack normally, there would be an 'exchange' of attack if the ghoul lunges as well. I'd suffer damage.

20200728212805_1.jpg

But suppose I let them come close enough for VATS to trigger (you can't miss with melee in VATS), I suffer 0 damage from the exchange of blows.
Very curious. I will try it with something bigger next time.

20200728213326_1.jpg

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
After hearing it mentioned several times, I looked up the "Kid in a Fridge" quest on Youtube yesterday. If you haven't seen or played it, I recommend watching since the quest is absolutely bonkers:

There is actually a solid framework here. You find a kid, and you can choose to get him to his parents or sell him to some raider. If you give him to his parents, you can choose to fight the raider or convince him to leave.

It's just that the execution is hilariously bad. The quest takes itself seriously even though the events transpiring are completely insane and comical. It looks like it's supposed to be a joke, but it just isn't. You expect a punchline, but when it ends you realize that "Wait, this wasn't a joke?".

I've seen it mentioned that Bethesda's Fallout games would make more sense if they took place just after the apocalypse, and this quest is a great example of this. The kid acts like he was in the fridge for days at most, not two centuries. The parents acts like they've been separated from their kid for a week, not two hundred years. Then there's the insanity of the kid surviving on the fridge's content, no passerby ever hearing him, and the parents still staying at their house.

Try watching from 4:44 with a straight face. The triumphant emotional music, the parents' limited reactions to seeing their son for the first time in 200 years, the goofy contrast of the mother's spotless white dress against the eternally dirty surroundings... When she lets out a hammy "Oh my gooood!" I burst into laughter.

Apparently the quest attempts to excuse part of its madness by having the raider explain that ghouls do not need to eat, but other parts of Fallout 4 contradict this by showing that ghouls do need to eat. So the quest's writer wasn't even consistent with the rest of the game.

How did Todd Howard approve this quest? :lol:

GqXVZAw.jpg

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I finished Horizons Fallout 4.
It wasn't that hard but the Institute synths definitely got buffed. Their laser weapons are no longer a joke. The mod also enforced some much-needed scarcity into the game, forcing me to break down ammunition to craft the ones I needed. But it gets easier as I pass the mid-game. I only died to Sentry Droids and mass lasers. Overall a decent experience. Institute stopped being a joke of a faction in terms of difficulty.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
RPG Codex: Fallout 4 is shit, Bethesda is shit, how is that even an RPG?
251 pages later

Admit it, you also bought and played Skyrim and you loved it (with mods).
Hypocrites.
All of you, hypocrites and posers.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
251 pages later

Hypocrites.
I dunno. I never played it, but recently I'm having a blast watching it on youtube.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
251 pages later

Hypocrites.

Played too many shit rpgs to call Bethesda's games "bad". For me they are utterly mediocre, enjoyable with proper mods. Nothing to rage about (except of not doing better things with the Fallout licence).

Silverfish

Arbiter
It's not hypocrisy. The whole appeal of Bethesda games is how monumentally fucked they all are. It's like the gaming version of Plan 9 or Manos.

Stella Brando

Arcane
Do the supply lines in this game actually work?

I cant put in object in a workshop in one end of the line and then pick up at the other end, which is what I assume is meant to happen.

It's also very difficult to change/delete them.

Last edited:

purupuru

Learned
Do the supply lines in this game actually work?

I cant put in object in a workshop in one end of the line and then pick up at the other end, which is what I assume is meant to happen.

It's also very difficult to change/delete them.
I think it only works for junk items so that you can craft and build in whichever settlement you want without having to carry all the ingredients around, it won't transfer things like guns and armors.
Also I think when a supplier gets attacked and sits on the ground (can't die since he is protected), the supply line will temporarily break.

Darkzone

Arcane
I play Fallout 4 sometimes, but i don't bother to make any quest. For me F04 is the best base building game. I have made 20 bases with walls and towers, established trade between them and all bases have over 30 people. I guess i should make the main quest to get all the Institute equipment and save the world by making synths. Is FO4 an RPG? I don't care since im the true King of the Wasteland with 600 people living under my rule.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
play Fallout 4 sometimes, but i don't bother to make any quest
Probably the only decent way to play it at all. Ignore the mainquest and build your own Vegas, because without you people don't even know how to pick Tatos from a bush. Bonus points if you "aquired" the robot DLC and have rocket launching sentry bots run the provisioner routes. :hahano:
The other day I found Sykrim Speshul Edishun while cleaning up, which I hadn't touched for at least 7 years. It STILL holds up pretty well after all these years. Story, worldbuilding etc, everything feels so much more thought through...
Aside from (slightly) improved graphics, EVERYTHING in FO4 was a massive step in the wrong direction. It's even a yuge step back from FO3. It always feels like a patchwork of random setpieces nobody cared enough about to bother tying them properly together, and devs not talking with each other. Getting triggered thinking about it again. Sad. :argh:

purupuru

Learned
It's a good thing that they didn't focus on the "culture shock" thing, it would make making alternative start mods a huge nightmare.
Making the PC prewar is just retarded to begin with, it's supposed to help the player self-insert but it does not. The game is the fifth installation in the series for god's sake, I'm simply not going to shriek in horror when I see a ghoul running a shop.

Codex Year of the Donut
This sums things up pretty well.
It's wrong though.
It's clear the original story was never intended for Nora. Nate is a decorated war hero who fought in Alaska, most likely using power armor.

Which just brings up another issue: What's the point of having a character with an established background when you just throw it away anyways. How often is Nate's background brought up after you're an hour in? I'd imagine some of this was done to retrofit the story to fit Nora. A lot of this comes from having two competing ideas smashed together ending with the worst of both.

Please No

Educated
It's a good thing that they didn't focus on the "culture shock" thing, it would make making alternative start mods a huge nightmare.
Making the PC prewar is just retarded to begin with, it's supposed to help the player self-insert but it does not. The game is the fifth installation in the series for god's sake, I'm simply not going to shriek in horror when I see a ghoul running a shop.
Yes, it is way too late for a fish out of water story. The first game already did that with the player coming out of the vault anyway. Bethesda should have embraced the blandness of their games, like they did with TES, who you are shouldn't matter, so let the player be a super mutant, a ghoul and whatever other fun stuff you could come up with instead of trying to ground them to a half-baked pre-made character concept. That's something for storyfag games, not sandbox experiences. Kind of like how it makes sense for wannabe filmmakers at Rockstar to have set protags, but you can make whatever you want in Saints Row, since nobody cares about the story, it's just a setup for gameplay and dumb jokes. Bethesda Fallout should have went in that direction, capitalizing on what they actually offer, which is shallow freedom.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
It's clear the original story was never intended for Nora. Nate is a decorated war hero who fought in Alaska, most likely using power armor.
One of the reasons I enjoyed picking Nora so much. Well, "much" by what little I got out of the game. The unintentional hillarious moments when everyone praises your mad skillzzzz. :hahano:

Nate is a new powerful player on the board, a forcemultiplyer every faction wants to get their claws on. Nora? Nora is a housewife/lawyer. What is she going to do, talk enemies to death? #RatDiplomacy
Nope, Danse praises her superior abilities and how he has "no doubt on his mind" she would be a yuge ASSet to the BoS. All she did was staying in the back and let him do all the fighting. Then loot everything clean. And better not ask where she learned to undress people in less than a second.

I guess there is a message by Bethesda here: "A good wymyn stays in the back and lets the man do the real work, then clean up his mess afterwards!"
Todd is a sexist. :argh:

Perkel

Arcane
251 pages later

Hypocrites.

There is something called shitting on vanilla and playing with mods being happy about it.

Skyrim Requiem is quite good.
So is Ubogous Fallout 4 with mod that allows you to kill every npc.
Frost for Fallout 4 is pretty amazing autism driven overhaul that removes every quest there is and replaces everything with cold hard wasteland.

There isn't any better fun game than walking around Fallout 4 world and killing all Betsheda NPCs. Cleaning out wastelands out of retardation.

Codex Year of the Donut
251 pages later

Hypocrites.

There is something called shitting on vanilla and playing with mods being happy about it.

Skyrim Requiem is quite good.
So is Ubogous Fallout 4 with mod that allows you to kill every npc.
Frost for Fallout 4 is pretty amazing autism driven overhaul that removes every quest there is and replaces everything with cold hard wasteland.

There isn't any better fun game than walking around Fallout 4 world and killing all Betsheda NPCs. Cleaning out wastelands out of retardation.
I found FO4 to be a lot more playable than skyrim. Didn't get anywhere close to finishing either though.
Think it might be because there's a ton of generic fantasy RPGs and not that many sci-fi RPGs.

LizardWizard

Cipher
I play Fallout 4 sometimes, but i don't bother to make any quest. For me F04 is the best base building game. I have made 20 bases with walls and towers, established trade between them and all bases have over 30 people. I guess i should make the main quest to get all the Institute equipment and save the world by making synths. Is FO4 an RPG? I don't care since im the true King of the Wasteland with 600 people living under my rule.

Play Kenshi you rube

Darkzone

Arcane
Play Kenshi you rube
I have seen a lot of Kenshi vids (starting just as a torso was my favorite series) several months ago. Some videos were even about building of bases (don't know if this is a mod or vanilla option). And i do like the world of Kenshi with Robots (have currently forgotten the name), artificial limbs, Desert, and hive / drone "people". But somehow it seemed to me like a grinding chore and therefore i have decided against playing it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Wonder if it'll be worth it to buy all the crappy FO4 DLC to play Fallout Miami mod?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom