Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grounded - shrunken kids first-person co-op survival game from Obsidian

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
Not gonna lie, i will never play this game.

But my nephew will like it very much.

Played for 5 minutes, looked for water, got two shot by a bombardier beetle stab-sponge then stopped playing. These types of games are just fucking boring after you’ve played any of them.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Congratulations, Adam. Obsidian had to make a game that's "nothing like the games they made" to finally make a good game again.

Silly Germans

Looks like a game that some grandma would buy for her grandchildren.
Seems decent i could get it for my little nephew it's hard to find game for kids , for now i introduced him to fps with warhammer vermintide, He quite liked but but he said to me " It's nothing like pokemon" .It's true the warhammer rich lore might be a bit too much of a change compare to pokemon . This game might just do it and be a little more suitable to a 7 year old.
Nothing wrong with that. My comment was not meant judgmental, rather for the people that wonder for whom these games are developed. Nintendo also provides content for that segment and has been quite successful.

Flou

Arbiter
What's up with a Microsoft-backed studio releasing a game in early access?

I would say it's a combination of wanting content for GamePass and marketing the game. They got shitloads of "free" marketing with the early access as streamers are playing it. It's good release window for the game as well as there aren't that many games being released around it.
Not to mention they now have free Q&A working for them and the team is getting more feedback on the game before final release.

Not something you would expect from Microsoft, but I think for a game like Grounded it works as you can kinda just sandbox it without going after the plot.

Mortmal

Arcane
What's up with a Microsoft-backed studio releasing a game in early access?
Obsidian shovelware department are just few refurbished industrial containers in the courtyard, their purpose is to release many titles for very cheap. They dont have the budget for testing, and theres enough tards to do QA for them, they will even defend them on forums "it's early access dude".No that i do any better it hink i did QA for kotc2 too.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Early Access is standard operating procedure for these multiplayer sandbox survival type games. They don't really need any more reason than "PUBG and Fortnite also did it".

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
Early Access is standard operating procedure for these multiplayer sandbox survival type games. They don't really need any more reason than "PUBG and Fortnite also did it".

Standard operating procedure, maximizing profit , minimizing costs. You install the industrial containers , in microsoft HQ courtyard , its free space. You lock in the recently purchased obsidian drones. One hole in the top of the container so every 24H they receive nutritious sludge, one hole on the bottom for well.. you know what. Obsidian shovelware department is now optimized, a well deserved punishement for the disapointment of POE and POE 2. They will produce , again and again some 1$ titles to bloat the xbox game pass ,once they get out of early acces . Oh and with a big disclaimer on every of them JOSH SAWYER DID NOT WORK ON THIS ,that to guarantee the customers dont flee, microsoft is anything but dumb . He's now locked and chained in some closet, no way for him to do any more harm to rpg or rpg games.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Mixed reception on Steam, all the early interest might be all for naught. :lol:

Wunderbar

Arcane
Mixed reception on Steam
Unlike the advertisements and youtube promo-plays, some very important key features are missing or hard to access here. For $30 and no EA discount, there is no steam multiplayer at the moment it must all be done through xbox friend list. Many people were probably looking forward to and expecting steam connect. You NEED an xbox/microsoft account to play which poses as an obstacle for consumers to hop over. Both of these features keep customers from 'the time that they could be playing the product' with friends (aka. additional customers) Hopefully this changes.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Looks like a game that some grandma would buy for her grandchildren.
BfJnhH2p_400x400.jpg

Currently it has over 250k on twitch. It would probably go down in the upcoming days but holy shit that's really unexpected.

how is it unexpected? don't they pay streamers to play their game to get twitch views? this should literally be the opposite of unexpected.
anyway haven't watched any of the game just saw the trailer and
uhh i like base building games so if it turns out to be solid I'm a sucker for this shit :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Duraframe300

Arcane

Not surprising.

Regional pricing issues, Multiplayer connection problems in the beginning (due to overload), XBOX account needed (though technically this also means easy cross-play) and your usual early access problems add up to it.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
We'll see how long it stays on the Top Sellers list. Currently it is No1. A 68% Mixed reception doesn't mean a thing, there are successfull games with that score. Also, skimming through some of the negative ratings, all of them say that the game is pretty good but it has bugs, which can be expected in an EA game.

Flou

Arbiter
Not surprising.

Regional pricing issues, Multiplayer connection problems in the beginning (due to overload), XBOX account needed (though technically this also means easy cross-play) and your usual early access problems add up to it.

It should be expected. Those looking to play for the plot/story will be disappointed as there's very little currently in the game and once you add all those launch problems, yeah. No wonder it's got mixed reviews.

Still, it seems like a bunch of people are into it and there's funny clips on Twitter and Twitch. Streamers are still playing it and not just the well known guys/girls. If anything this gave a huge morale boost for the team at Obsidian to finish their game. There's clearly a market for such survival game, just need to get busy and get more content out sooner than later. They already had Virtuous Sparx doing some outsourced art and animation content and with the success they had at launch, should be an easy decision for MS to use them even further to get more bugs and biomes into the game.

Azdul

Magister
Microsoft ownership will destroy obshitian like it did with rare.
When Nintendo decided to sell Rare to Microsoft, the studio was basically dead, and all talented people left for greener pastures years before.

Besides, Microsoft has very hands-off approach, so don't count on MS senior VP and his stormtroopers crashing the doors of Obsidian and leaving with Feargus head in hand.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
4chan is really hype about this for some reason. Might give it a shot due to the low price.
Do I have to gift my friends a few copies to have fun with this or is it good solo aswell?

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Think its barebones right now from what I saw on stream. Not alot of content.
Cheapest route is 1 dollar/euro gamepass if you want to play with friends.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom