Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

Sentinel

Arcane
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamworks/announcements/detail/2246679902968741150
Introducing the Steamworks Tag Wizard, now available in Beta
Tag your titles today!

Tags provide valuable information
Steam users want to quickly learn about your game when browsing the store, and tags are a great tool to help them do so. Tagging your title gives Steam vital information in determining where your game is displayed to customers. We recently began requiring at least 5 tags be applied to a title before its launch on Steam.

Aside from displaying useful information on the game pages themselves, tags provide valuable information when paired with powerful search and browse tools that make them accessible.

More robust tags help Steam serve better results when users:
  • Browse genres & categories
  • Search with tags
  • Explore tag-driven recommendations
  • Utilize tag-driven Dynamic Collections in the Library and more

In our recent Search experiment, we have expressed and begun to leverage relationships between tags and related metadata. So now is a great time to revisit the tags associated with your titles.

Introducing the Tag Wizard
The new Steamworks Tag Wizard, now in Beta for all Steamworks users, is designed to further improve the coverage and quality of tag information as applied across the catalog, thus making Steam’s discovery and recommendation systems more robust.

An initial analysis of the tags currently applied across the catalog shows a common failure to apply genre and sub-genre tags to titles – a level of specificity customers seek when shopping. In the new wizard, we’ve introduced a proposed hierarchy of genres and other tag classifications.

The Tag Wizard steps a Steamworks user through a series of screens designed to quickly capture a breadth of tags relevant to their title, across a set of increasingly specific categories: Top-Level Genres, Genres, Sub-Genres, Visuals & View Points, Themes & Moods, Features, Players and more. The wizard leverages the information entered thus far, comparing it to similarly tagged titles in our catalog, and highlights those which are most likely relevant in each subsequent step.

The Tag Wizard also suggests any tags discovered in your title’s store page description - another common omission we discovered upon analysis of the catalog. Additionally, any tags your users have applied in the Store are also suggested for your consideration. Lastly, the wizard enables ranking of the relative importance of a game’s tags for the purposes of weighting them, which is information that Steam leverages in various places like Search and More Like This recommendations.

If a title already has tags applied, the user of the Tag Wizard may discover which types of tags may be missing from their title’s tag profile, verify and rank existing tags, and step through a series of screens to improve it.

f8ffe49112430793ca172c538f92ec090333791b.png

Tag your titles today!
We've updated the Tag Wizard based on feedback from an initial set of Beta testers.

So tag your titles today and give customers valuable information, that they may connect with your games on Steam and become fast fans. You’ll discover the Tag Wizard in Steamworks. Look for it in the Store Presence / Edit Store Page / Basic Info section, under Tags, and please share your feedback once you've given it a whirl.

For a list of titles most in need of attention, visit your Steamworks Recommended Actions page, where you’ll find links to the Tag Wizard per title you manage.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
How about improving the ignore system so I don't have to look at ENDLESS WEEABOO TRASH?

I'd improve the ignore system by adding a prompt asking WHY you've chosen to ignore that specific game. That way you could filter out tags you don't want to see, etc.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I wonder if people will pay ~$3 for the privilege of leaving these on reviews and screenshots they like.

It's not like you directly buy the points, they come as bonus to your game purchases. If somehow these ratings feed the Steam algorithm in prioritizing user content, it gives more power to people actually paying. (Well, looking at the reviews receiving a lot of those ratings, I don't have a high hope.)

(Also looks like this is crashing the anime background market! https://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/753/386480-Meteor Shower)

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
It's a fairly straight loyalty point system. The more you buy the more you get. At this point the points are only for virtually useless customization, because it's harmless and gets general audience hooked already like CS skins and shit like that. The only question here, is will they step up their game to actually grant money discounts for those points.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How about improving the ignore system so I don't have to look at ENDLESS WEEABOO TRASH?

I'd improve the ignore system by adding a prompt asking WHY you've chosen to ignore that specific game. That way you could filter out tags you don't want to see, etc.
If I understand you correctly, that's already a thing on your Store Preferences, but you can only choose 10.

8WMSoIWIIzG-sTbbuviV-NhIT0PpX_eNIPsRkp4sDWM.png

Last edited:
I wonder if people will pay ~$3 for the privilege of leaving these on reviews and screenshots they like.
I'm more surprised that they cost $3 in points but give the person given the award $1 in points. Admittedly "Points" have zero monetary value since you can't even sell shit bought with them in the marketplace so it's entirely funny money generated by just buying games normally on the store... But still. Skimming two thirds off the top is surprising to me. I didn't even realize they cost 300 since I only really learned about them on the receiving end when I got an email. Gaben should give me more points damn it. :argh:

hXkPoGU.jpg

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I'm more surprised that they cost $3 in points but give the person given the award $1 in points. Admittedly "Points" have zero monetary value since you can't even sell shit bought with them in the marketplace so it's entirely funny money generated by just buying games normally on the store... But still. Skimming two thirds off the top is surprising to me. I didn't even realize they cost 300 since I only really learned about them on the receiving end when I got an email. Gaben should give me more points damn it. :argh:

hXkPoGU.jpg

Literally
rating_ccp.png
rating_ccp.png
rating_ccp.png
rating_ccp.png
rating_ccp.png

Villagkouras

Arcane
If I understand you correctly, that's already a thing on your Store Preferences, but you can only choose 10.

It's shit. Hiding anime hides games like Nier Automata which isn't exactly like a hendai nude game. Also early access hidden means you don't see after official release. It's shit.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

It's shit. Hiding anime hides games like Nier Automata which isn't exactly like a hendai nude game. Also early access hidden means you don't see after official release. It's shit.

It also doesn't help when Steamtards tag shit like Wolfenstein Young Blood as RPG.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamLabs/announcements/detail/2505639402187492539

Steam Labs Experiment 009: News Hub Updates Out Now
Clearer Navigation, Featured News, & Game-Specific News

Steam Labs Experiment 009: News Hub is expanding as it prepares for full launch. To that end, we've shipped a number of updates designed to simplify the navigation and provide easier access to different preset views.

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/

270ae5678bae59c635a829bb9d19e4c5e41680b2.jpg

Updated Navigation
Some of the biggest changes in this update address how the News Hub is organized and how you navigate around. The menu on the left (which was previously a long list of checkboxes) now focuses on switching between major preset views and gives us space to add more preset views in the future. The filters for excluding certain types of events or certain sources has moved into a secondary menu. The left bar still includes a game search field for quickly finding news about a specific game.
6267924332ecbc92134b1981806a311b6d474951.jpg

Upcoming Events Get A Dedicated Section

To make it easier to find and follow upcoming events, these events now have their own separate view, which you may access through a streamlined menu on the left. Your default view still includes a few upcoming items at the top to keep you informed of events for your favorite games.
010e3361c0bd1fa4a3493bda50f42a1b3011f691.jpg

New: Featured Events

We're also working on expanding the ways of discovering popular events happening across the entire Steam catalog. We've started with the addition of a "Featured" section, which currently includes posts from the top 100 selling games on Steam. But we plan to keep fine-tuning this section to include popular events from a broader variety of games as well as hand-picked events that our curation team here at Valve selects to highlight.
f314c591274666240ca3c65bbba7d05fe11cb798.jpg

Updated Game News Hub

The layout of individual game news hubs has also been updated to make it easier to identify the game area, and provide quick access links to the game’s store page, community, and more. This also cleans up the individual news items in this view so you don't have to see the game name listed again on every single post.
178a99e34c0d2481ad9e8199f7aaf93671d75ff1.jpg

Mobile Friendly

Work on the mobile format of the Steam News Hub continues, as we know many of you are likely to explore this content while away from your desk. This means a new navigation mode for switching between sections of the news hub, quick access to the game search, and better mobile formatting for legibility.

Check out the Steam News Hub here: https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/

This Experiment is growing into a great set of features thanks to your help and suggestions. Please keep your feedback coming and let us know what you think about these changes.

Sincerely,
-The Steam Team

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/2496632202949531094

Steam Labs Celebrates One Year of Experimentation
Community Recommendations launches out of Labs to Steam

This July marks the one year anniversary of Steam Labs, which launched with three experiments and big ambitions to improve Steam through public experimentation and iteration. Today we’re celebrating with the official release of Community Recommendations, introduced to Steam via Labs.

Steam Labs is a space to explore the potential for new and improved versions of Steam through inquiry, exploration, and conversation with you. The most pivotal part of our design process is the moment where you come in, and with Labs we’re able to include you much earlier. To assess what works and what doesn’t, we’ve been listening to your feedback, gathering evidence to learn how people use our experiments, and conducting A/B tests to measure relative success among potential designs.

Below is some background on what we have learned in the Labs during the past year, and how it led us to ship four experiments, shelve two, and continue to design and refine others on the way. Each has reinforced the value we derive from a participatory design process. So thanks, and cheers, to another great year of experimentation together!

Shipped Experiments

With your help, the following experiments graduated from the Labs to Steam, where they’re helping people discover and find a wider range of games.

Community Recommendations

Today’s launch out of Steam Labs, Community Recommendations showcases your reviews by featuring them right on our home page for everyone to see. The result brings community energy to the store, enabling users to keep abreast of the titles players are currently enjoying, and why. This new feature also allows us to get out of the way as platform holders, connecting and empowering players so they can recommend games to one another directly.

Interactive Recommendations

The Interactive Recommender began as an experiment to determine whether machine learning could be used to generate compelling personalized recommendations for players. The result is a system that trains itself to recognize gameplay patterns among the millions of players on Steam.

During experimentation, we learned that players wanted to be able to exclude games that they considered outliers or mistakes in their play history, so we added this. Additional feedback led us to include the ability to eliminate a played game from influencing recommendation results, and to ignore recommendations that you already own on another platform. We also added the ability to save your preferences and view your recommendations directly on the home page of the Steam Store.

Play Next Suggestions

After gaining confidence in machine learning through Labs experimentation, we decided to build Play Next, which leverages the same tech as the Interactive Recommender to suggest games you already own but have yet to play. After testing this version of the recommender with players in Labs, the feature moved to its current home directly in the Steam Library. There, users can add a Play Next shelf to their collection and use it to view Steam’s suggestions from their own library. These suggestions are based upon their gameplay history as it compares to millions of other players.

Powerful Search Tools

Steam Labs became the perfect place to try out some often-suggested (and much-needed) upgrades to Steam search, without altering the store during this exploratory process. A number of new tools requested by players were added, such as ways to filter results by price, view only items that are on sale, and exclude items already owned, wished-for, or ignored.

During experimentation, we tried replacing the typical paging mechanism with a format that continuously loads results as you scroll, but we learned that many players preferred the old way, and so that was turned into an option. We also learned players wanted a way to exclude results associated with tags, so variations were built and tested to make that happen. Using Search, it’s now possible to bookmark powerful, specific searches like this one, which offers direct access to the community’s top-rated non-violent side-scrolling platformers with support Remote Play Together with up to four friends.

Shelved Experiments

Steam Labs is a great place to quickly try new ideas, providing us with insight about player preferences and usage. Inevitably, not every experiment we choose to pursue will resonate with you, and so today we've shelved a couple of them to make way for new experimentation.

The Automated Show

The Automated Show was an ambitious project, with the goal of creating an entertaining production about games, built in a fully automated fashion. Formats ranged from 2 to 30 minutes and experimented with features such as typographic and motion design effects, announcer voice-overs, theme-driven automated curation, and simultaneous streams to deliver maximum information in minimal time.

User reaction quickly revealed that the longer format just wasn’t working, as viewers typically bailed within the first few minutes of those shows. We also found that each time we wanted to feature a specific selection of games, such as in the Steam Awards, we ultimately chose to hand craft it, rather than automate its creation, to achieve our communication goals.

While we remain optimistic that an automated show could one day make for a compelling way to learn about games, today is not that day. And so with film editing job security intact for the near term, we say TTFN to the Automated Show.

Deep Dive

This experiment offered a way to browse the Steam store using a favorite game as an entry point for discovering similar titles. While it was fun to discover how many degrees of separation could be found between Battle Brothers and Strikey Sisters, or to discover little known but well-loved Gems somewhat similar to a favorite popular game, we found similarity-based browsing to be a tough sell as a destination.

Perhaps the most valuable takeaway from our Deep Dive experimentation has been the idea behind its Similar Tags matching algorithm. This allows us to organize the hundreds of Steam tags into a handful of meaningful categories that can be leveraged to help gauge similarity along interesting axes like genre and mechanics.

This tag categorization work led us to identify relationships between tags, features, and other kinds of metadata associated with Steam games, resulting in our Query Expansion experiment and the Tag Wizard, a tool we built to help devs associate their games with a broad range of tags for improved discovery. It also inspired the creation of internal tools we use to identify and organize games associated with big events, and has led us to consider new navigational systems we’re excited to experiment with in Labs.

Experiments in Progress

Meanwhile, here’s a look at some promising experiments currently underway in Steam Labs. Each of these are progressing and expected to graduate to full release on Steam in the coming months.

News & Events Hub

The Steam News Hub experiment allows players to explore a personalized feed of news, events, live-streams, and updates from games they play, follow, or wishlist. This feed can be customized to include or exclude certain types of events or sources of news. Most importantly, the experiment includes a look at what’s ahead with a reminder system that helps players keep tabs on in-game events, live-streams, and other scheduled activities.

Query Expansion

We’ve begun some important yet fairly behind-the-scenes work in this Steam Search experiment, where we’re leveraging a custom thesaurus to define relationships between tags and related metadata for more accurate, consistent results. We’re using Steam Labs to help us gauge whether our thesaurus is working as you’d expect. You can opt into the experiment now via Labs, which then updates Search with the new logic used to derive tag-based search results.

Before calling this experiment complete, our goal is to bring this logic to more views throughout Steam, such that a search for both Real-Time and Strategy, for example, will always produce the same results as when searching for RTS. Many of our store’s browse views stand to benefit from this work.

Micro Trailers

Micro Trailers offer video snapshots of games, in just a few quick seconds. People only take a short amount of time to make judgements about what’s interesting while scrolling content, so micro trailers aim to help viewers learn enough about a game in as little time as possible. In Steam Labs, we’ve experimented with different formats, lengths, and strategies for deriving automatically-generated micro trailers from the standard game trailers our partners provide. We’ve also explored various ways of auto-assembling and aggregating these short videos, some of which admittedly made our eyes spin.

Today, Micro Trailers can be found on the Steam store, where they are featured when hovering on items on the home page, in our sales events, and in the Interactive Recommender. We’re still tinkering with their optimal format, duration, and presentation, and look forward to bringing them to more places throughout Steam.

The Future

We continue to find that our work only improves with iteration based on your feedback. Steam Labs has opened the possibility of sharing more nascent ideas, receiving earlier feedback, and improving Steam with help from millions of people, like you.

News Hub Update

In a coming update, we’ll soon be adding the ability to include news from Steam Curators you follow, enabling posts from some of your favorite press outlets to appear right in your personalized view of Steam News.

New Ways to Browse

To date, we’ve invested quite a bit of energy into recommendations and search. Browsing is of course another key way people discover content on Steam, and we’re excited to explore this space. New points of entry, more compelling ways to browse, and more tools to filter while browsing are all among our list of future pursuits for Steam Labs.

Your Ideas

We of course also have our eyes on the Steam Labs Discussions, and hope you’ll continue to share your ideas for potential experiments you’d like to see from us.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://www.pcgamer.com/gabe-newell-has-been-a-covid-refugee-in-new-zealand-since-march/

Gabe Newell has been a 'COVID refugee' in New Zealand since March
And he's putting on a concert to thank the country.

mXQLpFx9WnGUdMQt4BL5E9-320-80.jpg

Gabe Newell has been stuck in New Zealand since March and he seems to be loving it. So much so, that he appeared on New Zealand morning television today to announce a free concert to thank the country for its hospitality.

While New Zealand is increasingly famous as a billionaire prepper refuge, that's not why Newell's there, though the COVID-19 pandemic is why he remains. After shipping Half-Life: Alyx he took a ten day break in the country with his friends, the Spanish racecar driver Alex Riberas, and the latter's partner Teagan Klein. According to Klein speaking this morning, the break was meant to last ten days, but "then the pandemic broke out globally [and] we had 48 hours to decide before New Zealand closed their border, and we decided to stay."

In the TV spot, which you can watch here, Newell said that "the hardest part [of being in New Zealand] by far is being worried about friends and family who aren't in New Zealand."

Compared to the situation in the United States "it's very different," Newell said. "When I talk to people back in Seattle it's a very strange time, it's very challenging. They're very isolated, they aren't able to go out and take advantage of the environment that New Zealand has created itself and visitors like us."

Newell, along with Riberas, Klein and others, have announced a free concert to take place in Auckland on August 15. It'll be a full blown affair with live music, VR stands, and food trucks. It'll be all ages by day, and 18+ at night.

Asked why he loved New Zealand, Newell said: "For me it's very much about the community spirit, the sense that everyone can come together and solve this super-challenging problem and be welcoming to us as, essentially, COVID refugees. There's the natural beauty, the fun stuff you can do, but it's the people that has really made our lives different."

Since the beginning of the pandemic, New Zealand has recorded 22 deaths and 1,555 confirmed cases.

God Newell.

Last edited by a moderator:

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Valve continuing to dump money into Linux gaming: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2020/...linux-graphics-drivers-starting-with-amd-radv

Thanks to Valve, I have a large Steam library that I can play on Linux with little to no fuss. I gave up dual booting with Windows years ago thanks to them. I love all this, but I don't understand why. Linux gamers make up about 1% of Steam users and Linux in general makes up 2-4% of the desktop market share (still primarily seen as a server OS with ~96% of server market share). GOG provides the bare minimum support and Epic doesn't give a fuck. Is this still them being afraid of Microsoft creating a walled garden? From my understanding, the Windows app store is a colossal failure. Does Microsoft have more on the horizon?

Codex Year of the Donut
Valve continuing to dump money into Linux gaming: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2020/...linux-graphics-drivers-starting-with-amd-radv

Thanks to Valve, I have a large Steam library that I can play on Linux with little to no fuss. I gave up dual booting with Windows years ago thanks to them. I love all this, but I don't understand why. Linux gamers make up about 1% of Steam users and Linux in general makes up 2-4% of the desktop market share (still primarily seen as a server OS with ~96% of server market share). GOG provides the bare minimum support and Epic doesn't give a fuck. Is this still them being afraid of Microsoft creating a walled garden? From my understanding, the Windows app store is a colossal failure. Does Microsoft have more on the horizon?
Microsoft has a very long history of attempting to extinguish competition. They've tried to do it to Valve multiple times but failed every time, doesn't mean they'll stop. It's good business to have a backup plan.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Microsoft has a very long history of attempting to extinguish competition. They've tried to do it to Valve multiple times but failed every time, doesn't mean they'll stop. It's good business to have a backup plan.

With Windows 10 up to like 90% at this point, I think it shows PC gamers will take it up the ass from Microsoft quite a lot before they ever think of switching. All you hear on gaming and tech forums is "Windows 10 is the plague!" and yet... 90% adoption, and rising. Not saying Valve aren't smart to have a backup, but I doubt it means much unless MS literally ban Steam from Windows or something, which they would never do. Hell, they release their games on it now.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

With Windows 10 up to like 90% at this point, I think it shows PC gamers will take it up the ass from Microsoft quite a lot before they ever think of switching. All you hear on gaming and tech forums is "Windows 10 is the plague!" and yet... 90% adoption, and rising. Not saying Valve aren't smart to have a backup, but I doubt it means much unless MS literally ban Steam from Windows or something, which they would never do. Hell, they release their games on it now.

If Microsoft didn't retract the plan of pushing UWP and dumping Win32, I think Valve's Linux push would have been more successful, like, 5 or even 10%.

If anything, from a former Valve developer looking back 2013 when Microsoft's sinister plan of Windows 8/UWP loomed slowly and Valve started their Linux initiative: https://richg42.blogspot.com/2017/01/the-faster-zombies-blog-post.html

A few weeks after this post went out, some very senior developers from Microsoft came by for a discreet visit. They loved our post, because it lit a fire underneath Microsoft's executives to get their act together and keep supporting Direct3D development. (Remember, at this point it was years since the last DirectX SDK release. The DirectX team was on life support.) Linux is obviously extremely influential.

It's perhaps hard to believe, but the Steam Linux effort made a significant impact inside of multiple corporations. It was a surprisingly influential project. Valve being deeply involved with Linux also gives the company a "worse case scenario" hedge vs. Microsoft. It's like a club held over MS's heads. They just need to keep spending the resources to keep their in-house Linux expertise in a healthy state.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
With Windows 10 up to like 90% at this point, I think it shows PC gamers will take it up the ass from Microsoft quite a lot before they ever think of switching. All you hear on gaming and tech forums is "Windows 10 is the plague!" and yet... 90% adoption, and rising.

Windows 10 market share has actually dropped significantly over the last few months! But... that's largely thought to be due to all the Windows workstations sitting around dormant due to Covid 19 and more and more people opting for phones/tablets at home.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom