Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your recommended CRPGs from the last decade?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I forgot to mention Piranha Bytes' games. Risen 2 and 3 are rightly called out for some serious flaws, but that old PB wit and their settings make them worth a playthrough IMO. Risen 2 especially has this pretty unique pirate/native/colonizers atmosphere that most games don't treat the same way. It's a shame the islands can be pretty corridor heavy and linear, but the bigger islands are more open iirc. Elex is supposedly even better, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Dramart

Learned
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (the Codex's top RPG of 2012 2013 2016) focused on action-based combat with a party of 4, where combat is satisfyingly tactile and synergistic
You can also use all classes in one playthrough if you want, also the character creation is one of the best, you can customize height, wieght, muscles, arms, legs. And at night you can use lanterns is very cool. The movement of the characters looks cools, the weapons and clothes and armors of different classes are spectacular too. Also the combat is great and satisfying to hit enemies. The only downside are some secondary quests I believe they are random and get repetitive. But anyways mostly the main quest and exploring everything you have like 60-70 hours of good game and not filler content.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Everyone gave you all you need to keep yourself busy for years. And I agree with pretty much everyone except Templar. I would recommend, however, you play stuff like Grimoire or Dark Souls last.
If you play the best right out of the gate, you're going to experience the best first and so I just recommend keeping those at the back of the log to have something to look forward to.

And anyone that recommends Fallout 3, 4 or 76 is a troll.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I forgot to mention Piranha Bytes' games. Risen 2 and 3 are rightly called out for some serious flaws, but that old PB wit and their settings make them worth a playthrough IMO. Risen 2 especially has this pretty unique pirate/native/colonizers atmosphere that most games don't treat the same way. It's a shame the islands can be pretty corridor heavy and linear, but the bigger islands are more open iirc. Elex is supposedly even better, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Ghost of a Tale has a certain Gothic vibe.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
There are only 3 proper CRPGs that will be remembered as classics from the 10s.
  1. Underrail
  2. Pathfinder Kingmaker
  3. Age of Decadence
Everything else is either subpar compared to those titles, or not an actual CRPG.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am not a shitposter just because i have better taste than most of you. I do not pretend to like archaic obsolete gameplay norms for brownie points here, this does not make me a "shitposter", this actually makes me more prestigious than any of you. Video games are meant to become better with technology, not stick to what worked in the 90s just because you grew up and you can't be kids again.
upload_2020-7-29_9-33-31.jpeg

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
While looking around the net at various reviews and opinions about the games, I came across this; https://store.steampowered.com/app/613390/DUNGEONS_OF_CHAOS/

Looks like a possibility too. Anyone here played it?

I tried a pirated version a few years ago, it's been sitting on my Steam wishlist ever since but I haven't bought it yet. Not my biggest priority on the wishlist either, since it was merely mediocre.

Don't remember too much other than fighters not being able to attack diagonally, which makes melees often devolve into your row of fighters clashing with the enemy row followed by slow 1v1 hit exchanges, and a lot of the early encounter being against rats and other boring shit.

Play Helherron instead. It's free.
http://www.helherron.com/

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I've noticed the only person (I think) to mention Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is a shitposter. Did felipepepe or JarlFrank play it? What I heard about it in comparison to DX:HR around release made me cautiously optimistic that it was an improvement on the previous iteration.

Mankind Divided has some improvements and some regressions, but overall if you didn't like Human Revolution I can't imagine you liking Mankind Divided, and if you did like Human Revolution I can't imagine you not liking Mankind Divided.

Avarize

Magister
I've noticed the only person (I think) to mention Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is a shitposter. Did felipepepe or JarlFrank play it? What I heard about it in comparison to DX:HR around release made me cautiously optimistic that it was an improvement on the previous iteration.
Mankind Divided has some cool moments and I really like the main city hub, but the story and the areas outside the main hub are so shitty... It's hard to put my finger on it, but it's much more uneven that Human Revolution, and the highs aren't good enough to justify the lows.

Is it worth playing? Yeah, it's still a fun game, and looks really good. But it's clearly inferior than HR.
The atmosphere of Prague was really dull. It had some really nice level design but it just felt and looked boring.

Phinx

Augur
I am not a shitposter just because i have better taste than most of you. I do not pretend to like archaic obsolete gameplay norms for brownie points here, this does not make me a "shitposter", this actually makes me more prestigious than any of you. Video games are meant to become better with technology, not stick to what worked in the 90s just because you grew up and you can't be kids again.

I play a lot of fighting games at a high level including modern entries. The only thing modern technology has brought to one of the most complex, difficult genre of games to play is dumbing it down for casuals because it is too hard for most people. RTS same deal.

They try to market it as easy to play, hard to master. But most of the time it comes at the price of depth.

Most of the ones on your list is catered towards casuals. Which is a huge part of sales. Casual games will always outsell more than games catered to the hardcore crowd. The loot, leveling system, the skill, the conversations, the gameplay, and the role playing are all streamlined in the games you mentioned. So players can hop in and have fun almost straight away without requiring huge amounts of effort.

Had Bethesda made Fallout 3 onwards with C&C, conversation choices/trees, character creation, writing on par with the old Fallout with gameplay to rival a decent single player FPS people on here wouldn't be going nuts over it?

You want hardcore exhilarating gameplay, hop online and play RTS/FPS/fighting games. You want a hardcore RPG experience, this is what the codex is for.

Last edited:

turkishronin

Arcane
Any Mass Effect game, even Andromeda, is VASTLY, infinitely better than Fallout 1/2. They have better gameplay, better stories, better characters

Since when we praise Fallout for good story, characters, or gameplay?
Fallout is epic because it utilizes stats so there's a different way(s) of doing things in each situation. A true Role-Playing Game game.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Disco Elysium for a refreshing idea for a game.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker for an absolute playground for munchkins.

Kingdom Come Deliverence for a taste of medieval life.

Age of Decadence for a taste of perfection.

Witcher 3 for tits.

Once you burn through those - both Pillars of eternity games are actually ok. Original Sin 2 is better than Larian's previous offerings.

I might be missing other stuff I liked, but whatever.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Elex has also entered my shortlist now. Just reading about it on various sites, and it seems to have the same ups and down as Gothic, Risen, etc. Perfect...

Best PB game since Gothic 2, and the setting is fresh. Post-apoc sci-fi with a faction of high tech techpriests, a faction of Mad Max raiders, and a faction of sword-wielding barbarians (where 90% of the women are barefoot, yum!), with some magic added to the mix to keep the fantasy aspect... yeah, this is some good shit. The environmental variety is greater than Gothic 3's even. And if you go with guns, the ranged combat isn't even that terrible.

Also, you have a jetpack for vertical exploration!

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
- Wasteland 2
- Shadowrun Dragonfall & Hong Kong
- DoS 1 & 2
- Elex (seemed fun, but it stopped working on such regularity that I couldn't finish it)
- Might and Magic X: Legacy
- Grimoire
- Underrail

That's about it as far as I'm concerned.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom