Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legend of Grimrock 2

V_K

Arcane
I did, but I might have used a guide, I don't remember exactly.

Nyast

Cipher
I remember being blocked at the pyramid because I thought there was an item to place in the alcove. Thanks to my old Dungeon Master days. Hint: there is not.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Ludo Lense I'm going to tell you how to find the most obscure secret in LoG2, also known as The Relic.

Step 1: Go to the Barren Desert map.

Step 2: Follow this map:
BEED914F3A7741B3F9CE8260AF588C924B4B4DFB

Step 3: Dig 3 times with the shovel.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah, the "enter the pyramid" puzzle was one of the most infurating. I had to use the guide or lose my mind, no other choice (no longer remember tho what made it so hard to figure out).

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
SO basically, people can no longer actually read in game text, AND hints... but have to use a guide?

If so, I congratulate you, LoG2 Developers for educating retards in 2016. :salute:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
SO basically, people can no longer actually read in game text, AND hints... but have to use a guide?

If so, I congratulate you, LoG2 Developers for educating retards in 2016. :salute:

We're talking about one puzzle among dozens that had people stumped and forced to resort to walkthroughs.

In situations like that it's not about retardation of the playerbase, but of the puzzle itself...and possibly its designer.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

You're being an idiot, there's no ingame text hinting at the pyramid door solution. I suspect most people that got stuck at the stupid puzzle did the following - got the staff, thought it can maybe open the pyramid door, placed it in the alcove by the door and....nothing happened. Hm, maybe if I touch the door with it? Nope. 'K, moving on and keep looking for the real key. Never in a million years would I think of equipping it and shooting the door with its special attack.

I really hate puzzles like that, they feel like cheap gotcha tricks. It's like if you find a golden door and a golden key but sticking the key in the lock is a no go, YOU HAVE TO EAT THE KEY AND SPIT AT THE DOOR - didn't expect that, did you, stupid gamer, mwhahaha!!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I gave it another chance and I have to apologize. I did think the beach was boring but the game really picks up and ends up far superior to the first one, which I also liked. And the new classes and character system are a big improvement.

I am now hoping for LoG 3. Thanks, Codex.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
We're talking about one puzzle among dozens that had people stumped and forced to resort to walkthroughs.

In situations like that it's not about retardation of the playerbase, but of the puzzle itself...and possibly its designer.
You're forgetting it's optional, optional obtuse puzzles are legit.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Ludo Lense I'm going to tell you how to find the most obscure secret in LoG2, also known as The Relic.

Step 1: Go to the Barren Desert map.

Step 2: Follow this map:
BEED914F3A7741B3F9CE8260AF588C924B4B4DFB

Step 3: Dig 3 times with the shovel.

Meh.

I get it that it links the two games together. Still don't know if it is a sequel or prequel. Just because there are blueprints of the mountain doesn't mean it hasn't been made yet. Also finding one of the cubes didn't make me care since we barely know anything about them. The game barely has any narrative context, which is fine in the end since the other parts are fine and that is no way the focus.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the game overall. There was just some stupid design decisions like the falling down pits secrets and the absolutely infuriating air elementals on the critical path which deserves some award for bad design given that they go against everything the game has taught you at that point.

---

Arcane
Another connection between the previous game and this one is the Sword of Nex, one of the post powerful weapons in Grimrock 1, whose name is of course related to the island's one.
But yes, in general the two games are pretty indipendent, and the lore is not very much developed.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
LoG3 or something else to be announced close to New Year.

Petri is working on a new game using his Shinobi engine; I doubt it's Grimrock 3.

-Ironman Mode and Single Use Crystals sound like an obvious no go for a first playthrough. Did choose Hard though.
I did it for my first play though; [Took me a few months to beat the game; I recall clearing the Cemetery four or five times, only to die horribly in that pit of undead at the bottom].

*Most intense game I've played in years; the most fun too.

Last edited:

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
I was thinking about going for third playthrough of this gem but I always go for boring min/maxed party so I'm open for interesting party compositions.
Never played it, but all magic/no magic is usually insanely different in party based RPGs

---

Arcane
Try with four farmers. You won't have easy times (since the food is limited), but it'll be surely "interesting".

---

Arcane
Alternatively, 4 minotaur barbarians with heavy weapons (there are enough good heavy weapons for all) + easy difficulty, if you don't care about combat.
In this way you will be able to enjoy exploration and puzzles, the main appeals of the game.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Still waiting for the Linux version of Grimrock 2 since I'm now either using a PS4 or a Linux machine for gaming. Played Grimrock 1 on Linux right to the end (I really didn't like the final battle). Have they decided they are not doing a Linux port for G2?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i am honestly enjoying this less than grimrock 1.

grimrock 1 is linear, simple, yet it works. now i am playing grimrock 2 and met the dreaded pyramid puzzle and i can't find the damn key because the game told nothing of that particular item being the key.

it does a lot of stuff right like more classes, special attacks, generally better system than grimrock 1. the environment are more varied, etc but some of the design decisions are just plain awful. underwater section? get out of here. puzzle are hit and miss. there are some great puzzles, but a lot still depend too much on pixel hunting secret switches. i love puzzles that comes from notes that are basically riddles. i like some of the environmental puzzles, but especially some of the story section still forces you to pixel-hunt tiny button on a big, hi resolution screen it's painful.

and the pyramid "puzzle" this almost killed my will to play the game.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's true that some of the puzzles are way more retarded than in LoG1 and the pyramid one is probably in the Top 3 of those. Everything else is better tho.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
I agree that most of grimrock 2 is better, but the frustrating part are also doubled lol. I do like the non linearity and the format that's semi metroidvania/LoZ like adventure. The retarded design hurt the good elements lol.

Any good level module on steamworks?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
So your "will to play the game" was shattered by not finding a way to access an optional section that isn't even required to finish the game?

Opening the pyramid is bullshit, but it sounds to me like you're full of shit too. I bet you're playing the game with a walkthrough running in the background at all times and check it immediately when you can't figure something out within a minute.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
So your "will to play the game" was shattered by not finding a way to access an optional section that isn't even required to finish the game?

Opening the pyramid is bullshit, but it sounds to me like you're full of shit too. I bet you're playing the game with a walkthrough running in the background at all times and check it immediately when you can't figure something out within a minute.
psychiatrist-doll.jpg

It's okay love, tell me where in this doll my post touched you.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
'zumg i'm dumb and game sux'

'no, you're actually just dumb'

'U FUKKIN WOT M8 WOW U SO BUTTHURT'

Had you been playing this game legit, you probably wouldn't have even realised that there's an obscure puzzle to solve to access the pyramid before finishing the game. Sounds to me like you should go back to a more casual experience like disco elysium.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom