Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
At last Obsidian decided to stop servicing a vocal cult of isometric decline shovelware and use Microsoft's resources to make some proper incline CRPGs for the 21st century. I am looking forward to this, Bethesda needs some competition, it is hard being the only proper CRPG developer around, and they got lazy.

Toned-down art-style, realistic equipment and firearms will be gone, because by Sawyer's estimation these killed Deadfire.

So basically all the stuff that made Deadfire interesting (it was still meh because of a shit main story though) is going to be tossed out the window and we'll be left with generic fantasy game #5486713647 which is indistinguishable from all the other generic fantasy games on the market?

Wow super cool I'm so excited already can't wait to play yet another rehash of the same thing I've already played 30 times before.

I don't know about the art style and "realism" (it doesn't seem that radically different to me in the trailer) but assuming the game will have no firearms seems hasty. People might have found it weird to have guns in their fantasy isometric game, but first person shooters are a popular genre. Putting in guns would be another way to set the game apart from The Elder Scrolls.

Yeah, I'm not seeing why anyone would think they'd drop guns, especially when they're moving into making it first person. It'll differentiate it from The Elder Scrolls, and being muzzleloaders it's not like the guns will have a clear advantage over other range options. Could even set it up where if you're using guns, you're just loaded up with guns so you can switch between them and not have to deal with muzzleloading during combat. If you have to do a muzzleloading animation every time you shot most every type of gun, maybe guns will be more a secondary weapon.

From the trailer the combat setup seems to be like like BioShock, in so far as you have a weapon in one hand, and your magic in the other. Maybe guns will be an alternative offhand opinion? Work something like Bloodborne maybe.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Toned-down art-style, realistic equipment and firearms will be gone, because by Sawyer's estimation these killed Deadfire.

So basically all the stuff that made Deadfire interesting (it was still meh because of a shit main story though) is going to be tossed out the window and we'll be left with generic fantasy game #5486713647 which is indistinguishable from all the other generic fantasy games on the market?

Wow super cool I'm so excited already can't wait to play yet another rehash of the same thing I've already played 30 times before.

I don't know about the art style and "realism" (it doesn't seem that radically different to me in the trailer) but assuming the game will have no firearms seems hasty. People might have found it weird to have guns in their fantasy isometric game, but first person shooters are a popular genre. Putting in guns would be another way to set the game apart from The Elder Scrolls.

Yeah, I'm not seeing why anyone would think they'd drop guns, especially when they're moving into making it first person. It'll differentiate it from The Elder Scrolls, and being muzzleloaders it's not like the guns will have a clear advantage over other range options. Could even set it up where if you're using guns, you're just loaded up with guns so you can switch between them and not have to deal with muzzleloading during combat. If you have to do a muzzleloading animation every time you shot most every type of gun, maybe guns will be more a secondary weapon.

From the trailer the combat setup seems to be like like BioShock, in so far as you have a weapon in one hand, and your magic in the other. Maybe guns will be an alternative offhand opinion? Work something like Bloodborne maybe.

I feel like lots of the people have wrong idea about guns in Eora, they seems to think there will be automatic weapon and adding it into the game will turn the game into a COD clone.

The guns in Eora works pretty much the same as a crossbow(or a bow for that matter), you shoot once, reload and shoot again. All it requires is a different reload animation. There is no reason for them to not having it in the game.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Risen 2 used muskets pretty well in a fantasy action RPG sense, other flaws in the game aside. They felt powerful but slow, and you had to really time your shots right (and hit) or else you'd be swarmed and fucked. Greedfall recently also did rifles pretty well, as they hit armor from range before you ran in and hit the underlying health bar with swords. I see no reason muskets and the like can't work in a Skyrim setting, assuming they're used similarly to crossbows as jf8350143 says above. Powerful but very slow, easy to get swarmed, so they're balanced. If Obsidian handles attribute balance better than they did in Outer Worlds, you'd have to really sacrifice melee skill to specialize in muskets, limiting your combat abilities.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
If what's in that leak is true (and I believe it is because all these leaks are nothing more than hype generators that allow for plausible deniability) then Microsoft must be throwing mountains of resources at Obsidian. Could be good. With this and CP2077 and Elden Ring, Bethesda might actually have competition on that front.

Generic-Giant-Spider

The only thing I know about the PoE world is it has a giant god stomping a mudhole all over the place and everyone is gay to some degree.

The sharks are also gay.

zapotec

Liturgist
I dislike the settings with all the fake italians, fake eskimoes, fake maori and so on.
My theory is that in the third title we discover that Eora is actually Earth in the future and Woedica is Margaret Tatcher :retarded:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The only thing I know about the PoE world is it has a giant god stomping a mudhole all over the place and everyone is gay to some degree.

The sharks are also gay.
There are at least 11 different types of spiders.

I dislike the settings with all the fake italians, fake eskimoes, fake maori and so on.
My theory is that in the third title we discover that Eora is actually Earth in the future and Woedica is Margaret Tatcher :retarded:
Just like in BG3 we will discover that Toril is actually Earth and Sarevok is George W. Bush.

Reader

Scholar
use Microsoft's resources
I hear this mantra here and there lately. Why? Why do you think that if Microsoft has resources then Obsidian will make a good game?
EA has resources to make a good game, Ubisoft, Bethesda, many of them. So what?
The fact that Microsoft acquired Obsidian means that Feargus will be getting more stable paycheck. That's it.
Also Microft already bought some decent studios in the past - Rare, Lionhead..Where are they? Where are their gorgeous AAA games?
But not all is lost for Obsidian. The hope lies in Josh's Darkland's inspired game.

Duraframe300

Arcane
use Microsoft's resources
I hear this mantra here and there lately. Why? Why do you think that if Microsoft has resources then Obsidian will make a good game?
EA has resources to make a good game, Ubisoft, Bethesda, many of them. So what?
The fact that Microsoft acquired Obsidian means that Feargus will be getting more stable paycheck. That's it.
Also Microft already bought some decent studios in the past - Rare, Lionhead..Where are they? Where are their gorgeous AAA games?
But not all is lost for Obsidian. The hope lies in Josh's Darkland's inspired game.

The hope of Peak Woke Sawyer bundled with Kate Dollarhyde?

I do have hope that Sawyer’s history autism will win out in the end, but I eould lie if I don’t have major concerns with that thing.

OTOH, I have no idea what to expect from Avowed, so I give it at least the benefit of the doubt.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Never played TES, but lol, did they copy the left-hand-glowing -with magic, right-hand-holding-weapon from there?
So fucking painfully generic. Worst trailer ever. Just looking at that, why didn't they decide to do something unique where you have to wield a staff in two hands, and the magic glow comes from the staff?
Literally anklebiting and copying popamole shit. Fuck normies.

Duraframe300

Arcane
So fucking painfully generic. Worst trailer ever. Just looking at that, why didn't they decide to do something unique where you have to wield a staff in two hands, and the magic glow comes from the staff?.

That is... wow

You just described one of the ways it could have been more generic. I mean 99% already expected a balrog to show up at the end.
You don't have to fully turn it into a LOTR meme.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Peak Woke Sawyer
Isn't he actually centrist now? I read something like that in his thread.
True. For a Californian, he is quite moderate.

Unfortunately ras of recently this does not seem to be the case anymore. Apparently poor Josh, blinded by tears shed due to the supposed failure of his latest titles, has run straight off the cliff and into the warm embrace of his woke friends.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom