Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

Isak

Educated
This stuff is personal of course, but I had the feeling I was actually playing the story every step of the way instead of it being told to me. The statues and every person not having eyesight, the evolution of madness, the map and one city location, the NPC’s journey’s through it all, etc. Everything seemed connected by lore and story instead of just "cool gothic shit". Every boss made sense, none of it was superflous, it was just marvelous clockwork worldbuilding.

This has largely been one of my two biggest issues with the Soulsborne series: they want me to invest 80+ hours in a brutal game with RPG mechanics, but they don’t feel like telling a story worth keeping me there for that length of time. BB came close, but even it was still very very lacking. So I’m glad From improved upon that.
The second thing they need to improve on, and Sekiro still suffers from this, is a janky engine and combat system that demands pixel perfect reflexes and movement but isn’t fine tuned enough to allow for those inputs to always happen the way they should. It just never feels precise.
If From could build a game with a great story and a non-janky gameplay engine, they would truly be incredible games. Still, I’m glad people enjoy Sekiro and I’m always interested to see what From do next.

Silva

Arcane
This stuff is personal of course, but I had the feeling I was actually playing the story every step of the way instead of it being told to me. The statues and every person not having eyesight, the evolution of madness, the map and one city location, the NPC’s journey’s through it all, etc. Everything seemed connected by lore and story instead of just "cool gothic shit". Every boss made sense, none of it was superflous, it was just marvelous clockwork worldbuilding.
What shit you're talking about?

Isak

Educated
That was such a fucking brain fart on my part, that was supposed to be in the BB thread. Apologies.

Silva

Arcane
I agree that BB feels the most "I'm there making the story rather than following it by the nose" of all them. Can't precise the reason exactly. Perhaps because you're indeed doing your story and not anyone else's? I mean, in DS1 you ARE following a plot carefully planned by the Gods and Serpents by the nose, while In BB you're thrown in some crazy place and must survive. The NPCs are more alive in BB too, all them seeking personal goals and you can see their development as time passes.

Also, it only worsens DS1 case that it's a downfall post-Lordvessel.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
[...]

With this update, you will be able to take part in Reflections of Strength; re-matches against any previously defeated boss that can be accessed through any Sculptor’s Idol.

[...]
Is From Software actually introducing a quick way to replay bosses in one of their games? Is Miyazaki drunk? Did he hit his head? :whatho:

My guess is that this is due to some sort of influence from Activision. Publishers doing something right shock me to the core.

Also, if these "gauntlets of strength" are a real thing, we are actually getting new content for Sekiro. What the fuck is going on?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
original.jpg

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Is From Software actually introducing a quick way to replay bosses in one of their games? Is Miyazaki drunk? Did he hit his head?

Yeah, crazy times. Next thing we know NG pluses will be actually interesting and weapons desirability will be proportional to their rarity.

Maybe Miyazaki died of kung flu and there was a coup in FS.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Is From Software actually introducing a quick way to replay bosses in one of their games? Is Miyazaki drunk? Did he hit his head?

Yeah, crazy times. Next thing we know NG pluses will be actually interesting and weapons desirability will be proportional to their rarity.

Maybe Miyazaki died of kung flu and there was a coup in FS.
Next article title: "Elden Ring will have no poison swamp".

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
If Elden Ring contains an area combining a slow-walking poison swamp from DeS with crooked invisible bridges from DS1 and blinding storm from Frigid Outskirts and the boss will be a fanservicy gangbang of 5 Bloody Crows of Cainhurst all at once which will yield the most garbage weapon in the game....then we'll know everything is ok at FromSoft.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
If Elden Ring contains an area combining a slow-walking poison swamp from DeS with crooked invisible bridges from DS1 and blinding storm from Frigid Outskirts and the boss will be a fanservicy gangbang of 5 Bloody Crows of Cainhurst all at once which will yield the most garbage weapon in the game....then we'll know everything is ok at FromSoft.

... + 2 black knights will shoot dragonslayer arrows at you every 3 seconds and bed of chaos will slap you in the face only when she wants it

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
I really would have liked more actual content. This is From's best game to date.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Most futile update I've seen in a long time.
I really would have liked more actual content. This is From's best game to date.
[...] Gauntlets of Strength, single-life challenges that will truly test only the bravest warriors… or the most foolish. [...]
We don't have any information on what these "gauntlets of strength" are supposed to be. At worst, they might be just "clear this level without dying" challenges; at best, they might be entirely new levels with new sets of enemies. Probably, we will get "new" encounters in already explored areas with groups of enemies taken from the base game.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Most futile update I've seen in a long time.
[...] Gauntlets of Strength, single-life challenges that will truly test only the bravest warriors… or the most foolish. [...]
We don't have any information on what these "gauntlets of strength" are supposed to be. At worst, they might be just "clear this level without dying" challenges; at best, they might be entirely new levels with new sets of enemies. Probably, we will get "new" encounters in already explored areas with groups of enemies taken from the base game.
[Additional Features]

Reflection of Strength / Gauntlet of Strength
1.jpg

Rematch previously defeated bosses in single and consecutive battles. Extraordinary foes that once stood in the way of victory can be fought again and again to your heart’s content.

sounds like the gauntlet of strength is the boss rush mode, fight them all back to back with one life. Different from Reflection of Strength, which is fight any one you want.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom