Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yep; Controller support for a game like Kingmaker would be a nightmare...

Anyway, games who are made to PC then ported to consoles are OK, but consoles lack any good CRPG.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
First - judging by Paizo stream they implemented controller support quite well. Second - judging by streams of the beta on PC without the controller the interface looks like good old Kingmaker. As the result I have no gripes with the patch so far.

And consoles have JRPG which are probably not worse that CRPG, especially for the console audience.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Controller support? Fuck yeah, I wish more CRPGs did this. Playing with a controller from the couch is fucking king! I just hope they don't only make it for the Steam controller and do a setup for XBOX controllers.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Every RPG franchise that console gamers touch, become more and more action and less and less rpg with far more ludonarrative dissonance.

Controller support? Fuck yeah, I wish more CRPGs did this. Playing with a controller from the couch is fucking king! I just hope they don't only make it for the Steam controller and do a setup for XBOX controllers.

Cool. How do you plan to cast spells with a controller? Navigating dozens of sub menus?

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Every RPG franchise that console gamers touch, become more and more action and less and less rpg with far more ludonarrative dissonance.

Cool. How do you plan to cast spells with a controller? Navigating dozens of sub menus?
I'm not the one designing it. I don't mind scrolling with the triggers, though. JRPGs have been doing turnbased controller games for ages, but for some reason CRPG users are like "How wILL we IMPlement it, reeeeeee!?" Controller support needs to start being standard with CRPGs. Playing on the cough with a controller is fucking king.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
NJClaw it is disgisting, though. A turn-based mode without complete rework of the A.I. is a cheat that decreases the difficulty by one level.
You know what else decreases the difficulty by one level? Difficulty settings, and they are in the game since day 1. A lot of people enjoy TB a lot more, adding it officially as a supported mode is a good thing despite its possible flaws.
Catering to consoletards I see. Yet more reason not to give them my money for their next game.
Yeah, adding a turn based mode in a D&D CRPG. Fucking disgusting, absolutely inexcusable.

I wasn't talking about the TB mode. I was talking about the controller support.
Catering to consoletards I see. Yet more reason not to give them my money for their next game.
I know, but catering to a particular group of people isn't inherently wrong. It's wrong only if it goes to the detriment of the general enjoyment of the game for everyone else. If "catering to consoletards" means getting an official TB mode for a Pathfinder game, then Owlcat can keep catering to whomever they want.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
JRPGs have been doing turnbased controller games for ages, but for some reason CRPG users are like "How wILL we IMPlement it, reeeeeee!?

Name one JRPG with over 300 spells(Baldur's Gate 2 has it) and with the same depth.
I've not played a JRPG in years. The last one I remember with a lot of different attacks was Saga Frontier, IIRC. Pretty sure if you play as Blue, a mage, you get an enormous spellbook by the end of the game on top of martial attacks since you master every magic or something, IIRC. On top of that, I'm pretty fucking sure Baldur's Gate has already been ported to consoles. I heard it's quite successfully implemented on the Nintendo Switch. Maybe look it up and see how it's done.

By the way, the only reason I'm posting the video was for the controller layout at 0:55. I didn't watch the entire video.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
JRPGs have been doing turnbased controller games for ages, but for some reason CRPG users are like "How wILL we IMPlement it, reeeeeee!?

Name one JRPG with over 300 spells(Baldur's Gate 2 has it) and with the same depth.
I've not played a JRPG in years. The last one I remember with a lot of different attacks was Saga Frontier, IIRC. Pretty sure if you play as Blue, a mage, you get an enormous spellbook by the end of the game on top of martial attacks since you master every magic or something, IIRC. On top of that, I'm pretty fucking sure Baldur's Gate has already been ported to consoles. I heard it's quite successfully implemented on the Nintendo Switch. Maybe look it up and see how it's done.

By the way, the only reason I'm posting the video was for the controller layout at 0:55. I didn't watch the entire video.

You should watch the entire video. Show how a console gamer sees a in depth RPG. :P

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

You should watch the entire video. Show how a console gamer sees a in depth RPG. :P

Doesn't bother me much. Just Googled Baldur's Gate Nintendo Switch, and it was the first one to pop up with an exact layout of the controls. Read a review that it might be the best way to play BG at the moment.

The truly fascinating part of Beamdog’s implementation is that it actually makes the game much faster to play. After just a few hours I’m sailing along on my adventure, much further along than I’ve been in past iterations of the game without putting in more hours. This is the best revamped control scheme for an entire genre since Firaxis released XCOM: Enemy Unknown in 2012.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/10/16/20917126/baldurs-gate-nintendo-switch-impressions

Again, I really don't give two fucks whether it's the best way to play it or not. All I know is that gaming from my couch with a controller has always been the best way to game. I just wish CRPGs started to develop this alongside the mouse and keyboard. I always hated having to sit in front of my computer or using these shitty wireless mouse and keyboard in order to play from my couch (or having to use an extension and stretch the USB far out).

Erikkolai

Learned
Still planning my 2nd run. Could use some advice about tank builds.

I'm determined to go with Hard difficulty. The 1st run was on Challenging, and I could steamroll most encounters except at Irovetti's Palace and the final dungeon. Want to force myself to play more tactically on 2nd run.

I used a typical Fighter TSS-tank on my 1st run. It'd be interesting to go with something else this time. I've also heard that a typical TSS-tank won't cut it on hard, because you need some additional source of AC to tank well.

When I search for advice on tank builds, I tend to only find hyper-minmaxed powergaming builds with 3-4 multiclasses ("always play lawful, dip into monk, and dip into vivi, and dip into pally" etc.). Those make my RP-eyes bleed.

My challenge is that I prefer builds that feel consistent for my character, so I don't want to go all over the place for extra stats, and I don't want to pick 1 level of something if it doesn't suit the rest (thematically).

Can you recommend some viable tank builds for Hard that's limited to 2 classes (+ possibly a PrC) and doesn't dip just 1 level into Monk/Vivi?

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Dex Sword Saint?
Str Sword Saint/Duelist?

Or you could just, you know, Str 19 SS/1 Monk :P

axedice

Cipher
3 levels of TSS on Jaethal is enough to make her tank the entire game. While she can't dodge the deadly touch attacks of various mobs , she is immune to all of them (stat drains, level drains, fears etc). You can keep leveling her in inquisitor for the rest of the game for defensive judgements, teamwork feats and inflict spells for self heal.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Still planning my 2nd run. Could use some advice about tank builds.

I'm determined to go with Hard difficulty. The 1st run was on Challenging, and I could steamroll most encounters except at Irovetti's Palace and the final dungeon. Want to force myself to play more tactically on 2nd run.

I used a typical Fighter TSS-tank on my 1st run. It'd be interesting to go with something else this time. I've also heard that a typical TSS-tank won't cut it on hard, because you need some additional source of AC to tank well.

When I search for advice on tank builds, I tend to only find hyper-minmaxed powergaming builds with 3-4 multiclasses ("always play lawful, dip into monk, and dip into vivi, and dip into pally" etc.). Those make my RP-eyes bleed.

My challenge is that I prefer builds that feel consistent for my character, so I don't want to go all over the place for extra stats, and I don't want to pick 1 level of something if it doesn't suit the rest (thematically).

Can you recommend some viable tanks build for Hard that don't require Lawful alignment and that's limited to 2 classes (+ possibly a PrC)?
Every character can be a viable "tank" if you stack enough defensive buffs, even an animal companion (since it has a fairly high AC by default). A Druid, Sylvan Sorcerer or Cleric with the Animal domain can cover your "tank" role with one of their class features, while still giving you a full caster. You just need to stack as many buffs as you can: Mage Armor, Shield, Barkskin, Shield of Faith, Cat's Grace, Magic Vestment, Animal Growth, Legendary Proportions, Blur, Displacement, Inspire Heroics and, really, whatever you have at your disposal.

Thonius

Arcane
With call of the wild mod you and if you find 2 items - Perfection long sword and Ravena Queen Spiked Shield(heavy) you can make Jaethal into unstoppable tanking/dmg dealing monster with shield bash. Some feats and those two items give giga synergy. I had like +47 attack bonus on first shield attack. Basically her offhand attack was better then main. I updated mods for third play-through so you gotta believe me, since due to mods update I cannot load my safe file. Classes - I think 7-8 inc, slayer 10 and some fighter levels.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/640820/view/2734199622711846537

Update 2.1.0d for Pathfinder: Kingmaker Beta Test.
Pathfinders,

We've prepared another batch of fixes for the Beta Patch.

Please be aware of plot spoilers in the description below!

• During the second fight at Oleg’s Trading Post, Oleg didn’t throw Alchemist's Fire at all or threw it after the fight. Resolution: fixed.
  • Enemies couldn’t shoot and sometimes attack at all. Resolution: fixed.
  • A character couldn’t perform any action, even end the turn if they tried to move while under the effect that prevented their movement (Web, Entangle, and so on). Resolution: fixed.
  • The party could not take any action while the kineticist was drawing energy. Resolution: fixed.
  • If you select several characters and then click an enemy, your main character will no longer rush to attack the enemy in the surprise round (if only one character is selected, they will attack automatically as it was before).
  • It was impossible to enter Empty Skull Rock. Resolution: fixed.
  • Fixed the issues with the characters’ movement in the Cave from Luna's Map.
  • In the Stag Lord’s Fort, minions wouldn’t run to ring the bell in turn-based mode. Resolution: fixed.
  • Some items in the belt couldn’t be used in turn-based mode. Resolution: fixed.
  • Some invisible objects failed to trigger Perception checks. Resolution: fixed.
  • The ability score damage wasn’t always correctly displayed among the character’s effects or failed to disappear after the damage was healed. Resolution: fixed.
  • An incorrect text was displayed for the characters and it was impossible to click the characters’ portraits. Resolution: fixed.
  • Fixed the issue when it was impossible to select an ability in the character’s sheet.
  • In the Metamagic window, the UI elements could sometimes overlap. Resolution: fixed.
  • Fixed the issue with the display of two-handed weapons in the Shared Stash window, context menu for items, and Equip and Take off hints for the items to which these actions cannot be applied.
  • Fixed the issue when the option to evade enemies was activated immediately when the corresponding window appeared.
  • Fixed the overlap of the sequence of turns and the additional action bar.
  • Fixed the animation of the turn toolbar appearance.
  • The accelerated animation in turn-based combat worked incorrectly. Resolution: fixed.
  • Overtips were not displayed above some objects. Resolution: fixed.
  • Added localizations of some new texts.

A friendly reminder: while we deeply admire the contribution that mod authors make to our game, we would like you to remember that running custom modifications can lead to unexpected bugs and crashes. Unfortunately, if you encounter any issues while playing with mods, our team will not be able to help you. If this happens, please report these issues to the mod's original creator. Also, remember that after each game update, there is a high probability of previously installed mods not functioning properly. If you wish to play with mods anyway, disabling auto-updates might prevent your save files from becoming corrupted.

Delterius

Arcane

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Yeah, adding a turn based mode in a D&D CRPG. Fucking disgusting, absolutely inexcusable.

I wasn't talking about the TB mode. I was talking about the controller support.
TB is being added because of controller support.

Ignoring this fact is a sad, sad cope.
I didn't know that, and I fucking hate TB over RTwP. I guess I need to start hoping for more TB if it leads to more controller support. Quite a funny compromise.

So nobody is trying the beta version?
I did, for few hours (Chapter 1).
Somehow they managed to make an official turn-based mode that is less intuitive and snappy to control than the amateurish mod, and a bit more convoluted in terms of UI.

Still, I dropped it as some point since they hinted that we are going to lose our saves at release.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom