Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
wehatn avbdbn spelighnfh yu gyus ? ? sois othis gamien isn igutyh or what nmg?
It's fine, some level of sobriety might be required, however.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter

I love V and GZ, this video makes me love it even more.

I am confused about the merit of the video. It seems Metal Gear did some things a lot of games from the past already did, I assumed something that changes the way I engage with the game from his initial few statements. But that seems to not be the case. The way he spoke made me expect more insight than what was ultimately shared..

I gotta say that the guy in the video likes to suck Kojima's dick bit too much and also sees into things. I think that point he is trying to make is that Ground Zeroes puts all of its features, missions, easter eggs, meta-stuff, symbolism, characters, details etc. into cohesive whole and as such feels immersive, persistent and well done. Sort of like Deus Ex respects your intelligence, Ground Zeroes (maybe more than TPP) respects your time spend with it - by exploring mechanics and little details. Whatever that is, it is subtle, nothing revolutionary.

Good games anyways. Does not matter if Kojima was the man responsible or the studio, final product is excellent. I also bought them dirty cheap - 4 USD for Definitive Experience.

I see absolutely nothing immersive about infiltrating the same base 20 times over lol. There's no possible rationale for how that could happen other than wanting to reuse your assets.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
After all this time, the hidden ending of the game has been achieved. It was connected to the multiplayer part of the game. The community managed to achieve that every nuke had been deactivated, which triggered the secret ending. Kojima is really a mad genius. He designed an ending even though it was possible that nobody will see it ever. But after all these years, the players did it. (Small caveat that the video had been leaked earlier from the game, so it is not completely new, but this is the first time when the players achieved this ending state in the game.)

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I made a nuke and some bastard stole it from me within a couple of hours
rating_rage.gif
(on PC)

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
After all this time, the hidden ending of the game has been achieved. It was connected to the multiplayer part of the game. The community managed to achieve that every nuke had been deactivated, which triggered the secret ending. Kojima is really a mad genius. He designed an ending even though it was possible that nobody will see it ever. But after all these years, the players did it. (Small caveat that the video had been leaked earlier from the game, so it is not completely new, but this is the first time when the players achieved this ending state in the game.)

Did this happen recently? I logged in to the game randomly in 2019 and had this ending trigger on PS4.

Egosphere

Arcane
went on a mgs binge, despite hating the series, recently. ran through mgs3 on emulator, cut mgs4 short because it wouldn't run well, and tried mgsv and peace walker. mgsv is easily the worst of the lot. yes, the gameplay is solid, but it becomes very repetitive, very quickly. no motivation to complete it at all.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
yes, the gameplay is solid, but it becomes very repetitive, very quickly. no motivation to complete it at all.

1) You don't have to play all missions the same
2) you can do objectives in any order most of the time
3) you can use equipment other than non-lethal
4) you don't need to fulton everybody you find in the field. In fact, you don't need to fulton anybody other than the required targets
5) doing things differently might result in things playing out differently in terms of objectives
6) you shouldn't try to complete all side-ops as soon as they appear
7) you have 3340976034976 code names depending on playstyle, so go figure
8) pushing for an S-rank shouldn't be your main objective, it's all in your head

IMO, people who say MGS V is very repetitive often lack imagination. They usually abuse the tranq gun + fulton combo and get sick of it; oftentimes, the most "optimal" way to play is simply the worst. There are many valid criticisms that can be applied to the game (level design, rushed end-game, chapter 2, story, etc) but the claim of it being "repetitive" gets on my nerves.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
yes, the gameplay is solid, but it becomes very repetitive, very quickly. no motivation to complete it at all.
IMO, people who say MGS V is very repetitive often lack imagination.

A shitty excuse that should be considered a fallacy at this point. Developers are responsible for creating a symbiosis of gameplay mechanics and level design that forces you to use disposable resources in imaginative ways to overcome the obstacles in front of you.
If I'm using the same tactics over and over without any need for adaptation something is terribly wrong with the game itself.

Egosphere

Arcane

2) you can do objectives in any order most of the time
3) you can use equipment other than non-lethal
4) you don't need to fulton everybody you find in the field. In fact, you don't need to fulton anybody other than the required targets
5) doing things differently might result in things playing out differently in terms of objectives
6) you shouldn't try to complete all side-ops as soon as they appear
7) you have 3340976034976 code names depending on playstyle, so go figure
8) pushing for an S-rank shouldn't be your main objective, it's all in your head

IMO, people who say MGS V is very repetitive often lack imagination. They usually abuse the tranq gun + fulton combo and get sick of it; oftentimes, the most "optimal" way to play is simply the worst. There are many valid criticisms that can be applied to the game (level design, rushed end-game, chapter 2, story, etc) but the claim of it being "repetitive" gets on my nerves.

Not sure about that. I got a couple of s ranks just by rushing in and extracting the target, without using any tools/weapons at all. Couple of times I shot up the place. Toyed around with the box, shutting off power, tranq gun etc. I tried to play it different each time, but it feels quite lifeless compared to mgs3

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is this game good? I never finished MGS 1 after being too dumb to figure the trick of a giant robot that shot city-destroying missiles into my face, and then lost interest in the series. But I liked some other things about it.

Since every trailer for 5 is nothing but cutscenes, I tried clicking around in a 2 hour gameplay video. 8 of my 10 clicks landed on cutscenes, which is not a good sign. The other two looked like some kind of third-person action game.

CyberModuled

Savant
Is this game good? I never finished MGS 1 after being too dumb to figure the trick of a giant robot that shot city-destroying missiles into my face, and then lost interest in the series. But I liked some other things about it.

Since every trailer for 5 is nothing but cutscenes, I tried clicking around in a 2 hour gameplay video. 8 of my 10 clicks landed on cutscenes, which is not a good sign. The other two looked like some kind of third-person action game.
It depends what you want out of it. If you're there purely for gameplay mechanics then it's one of the more enjoyable stealth games in recent memory and easily the best playing of the series. However, it's worth keeping in mind how much tolerance you have in regards to repetition as the mission objectives themselves evoke the same sort of loop (go to an area, sneak around, recon, fulton troopers for you base (optional but ideal especially in early game), and do the main objective which is usually capturing/killing a target or specific asset on the field).

Also story is wank but given how much of a bad rap it's gotten long term, shouldn't be that surprising. If anything aside from a low amount of cutscenes compared to the other games in the series, it's the only one in the series I can think of where going in blind and skipping cutscenes won't hinder your gameplay and what you need to do. Only time it actively hinders progress is the intro mission since it's mixed in with a tutorial for the game itself but you can skip a majority of the cutscenes in it and be done with it really fast.

Video wise, this is probably the best one:

Skip the first seven minutes if you don't want the introduction and set up before the actual mission itself. It's also obviously slow given it's a presentation of mechanics and such but it seems more ideal than what you landed on. At the end of the day, it's dirt fucking cheap on sales/openly piratable and the game never got very significant updates anyway so no big worries there.

I tried playing the prequel, Ground Zero or whatever, was the most ridiculous shooting ever, I could run around and take out 50-60 enemies on hardest difficulty without using any tactics. If the main game is like that... why even use stealth...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom