Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dangers of Over-Hyping

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
As the title suggest, I recently began thinking of a phenomenon in gaming whereas one who has never played a given title, especially an older one, is bombarded with hype and praise to such a degree that, when he indeed sits down and plays the darn thing, he is doomed to be disappointed and grow to dislike the title, having been promised sheer rapture and glory, and instead receiving something far different.

The title which most often springs to my mind in this regard is Planescape: Torment. Many a times I've read accounts of people, especially young one, who boot up the game expecting something much different than what they receive, and abandon it after an hour.

Have you on the Codex experienced such a thing by yourselves?

Oh, and my personal example is the first Fallout title. After being suffused with unending praise of the game, of how rich and full of choice and intricate it is, and how interesting the quests are, and how unique the characters, I've finished the games in about a dozen hours and said literally out loud "Wait... that's the whole game?"

pomenitul

Arbiter
This is how I feel about most titles that routinely get touted as GOATs on the Codex. If anything, this place has greatly diminished my enjoyment of CRPGs – when 'everything is shit' is your collective mantra, it starts to… rub off on you, which is perhaps what I wanted all along, that I may ultimately redirect my free time towards more meaningful activities.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
I still remember vividly entering the Codex for the first time, which was sometimes after I've finished Pillars of Eternity, which I've personally liked very much... and then just seeing how everyone is shitting on it, very often without much in the way of concrete examples, just "adjective, adjective, adjective". I can easily imagine someone who spends a lot of times on such forums growing an acidic distaste for basically any game.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Red Dead Redemption 2 (although not an old one or a RPG). I couldn't wait for that fucking thing to end. People still wank themselves silly over that game, and I just don't get it. Nice map/environment I suppose.

In terms of older ones, people seem to love Chrono Trigger... played it recently and, again, don't really get it. That said I don't like JRPGs in general.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Red Dead Redemption 2 (although not an old one or a RPG). I couldn't wait for that fucking thing to end. People still wank themselves silly over that game, and I just don't get it. Nice map/environment I suppose.

In terms of older ones, people seem to love Chrono Trigger... played it recently and, again, don't really get it. That said I don't like JRPGs in general.

I hear you. Tried playing Final Fantasy VII back in the day, seeing how legendary that game is, and I was astonished at just how bad it was in reality. I remember actually asking on forums whether this is a MGS situation, and there is a different version of the game.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Oh, and my personal example is the first Fallout title. After being suffused with unending praise of the game, of how rich and full of choice and intricate it is, and how interesting the quests are, and how unique the characters, I've finished the games in about a dozen hours and said literally out loud "Wait... that's the whole game?"

Had the same experience 1to1. Fallout 1 is overrated, the series picks up with Fallout 2.

The title which most often springs to my mind in this regard is Planescape: Torment. Many a times I've read accounts of people, especially young one, who boot up the game expecting something much different than what they receive, and abandon it after an hour.

Idk I am a young people, and I picked up PST due to its legendary reputation, and it became one of my all time favourite games. The mortuary is pretty dry, as it doesnt really do a good job of showing what the rest of the game is like. As soon as I dove into Sigil I was mesmerised.

Final Fantasy VII

For context this was the first Final Fantasy that was made specifically with the American market in mind. The Japanese also thought at that time that all Americans are brainless monkeys, which is obvious when you look at the atrocious America only Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. A game that could be completed by a toddler.
This leads to FFVII having some of the core FF strengths, like interesting characters and an engaging world. But also having very shallow progression mechanics and a difficulty level that makes wiping on a boss more difficult than beating it. The Americans however ate it up and took the feeding hand aswell, leading to FFVII being the first FF that sold more overseas than in Japan, and thus causing the later decline of Final Fantasy.

Apart from that I am also pretty happy with codexian recommendations. I couldnt get into Ultima 1-4 since the user interface was about a magnitude worse than western games from a little later, or Japanese games from the same time. But from what I have heard here I am only missing out on Ultima 4, 1-3 is obsolete. But apart from that I have been happy with all lauded classics here.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Tried playing Final Fantasy VII back in the day, seeing how legendary that game is, and I was astonished at just how bad it was in reality.
I was dissapointed by FF6. Not by the mechanics, but the story. I tried playing FF7 for a bit and dropped it, without hard feelings though. I don't think those games are bad, just not for me, at that time at least.

I think I've played enough games to never truly buy into the hype. Most great games have flaws, and it's a matter of luck and state of mind if you happen to ignore those flaws or focus on them to the point of frustration.
Hearing praise of something, especially a niche title or an oldschool crpg, and expecting the ride to be smooth is asking for disappointment.

Think about a true classic, like Sanctuary Sanitarium (damn). It's amazing. It has plenty to offer. It's also pretty shit at times. Doesn't mean it's not worth the praise for things it can deliever.

I think I'm rambling, but the main point is hyped classics are consistently hyped because, despite any shortcoming they might have, people were impressed by something in an important way. Pillars of Eternity has not impressed anyone in any way ever and it never will.

Last edited:

overly excitable young man

Yeah this happens from time to time.
Just like with me and Wizardry 1.

When this happens i feel the need to announce that said game is actually complete shit and that everyone who likes it should die in a car accident.
You had the chance to do the same with Fallout 1 but you pussied out.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
The series picks up ehh?

I can tolerate Fallout 1. I like Fallout 2. I like New Vegas a lot. Fallout 3 deserves all the hate it gets.
I hated Fallout 4 on release, but survival modes are my guilty pleasure and F4s one is actually well balanced.
Only saving in sleeping bags and beds and constantly dying from hunger, thirst, radiation and various forms of aids from dirty heroin needles makes Bethesda Fallout more fun!
Still not a good game but an enjoyable one.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I already met and listened to enough charlatans to get my expectations too high on anything. Or that's what I would like to believe.

overly excitable young man

Just open the "Fallout sux" thread already.
What are you afraid of?

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
"not a good game but enjoyable"

What does that even mean?

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom