Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Frostpunk - ice age city builder from This War Of Mine devs

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Why play frostspunk when you could play an RTS or TBS?!

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Board game Kickstarter coming September 8 with a goal of €100,000.

Based on the video game by the creators of This War Of Mine – Frostpunk is a highly successful strategy-survival-city-builder that now comes to your table in the form of a board game!

In Frostpunk: The Board Game, players will work together as the rulers of the last city on Earth. It is your duty to manage both its citizens and its infrastructure.

https://frostpunk.glasscannonunplugged.com/

Link to KS page:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/glasscannonunplugged/1418298299?ref=7t8qpn&token=504bd676

J1M

Arcane
Wait, will we actually get combat mechanics?
Because logically, in a post apocalyptic scenario where resources are short, you'd think there'd be some conflict.
No, you just tell people they will get frostbite and they accept their station in life because you are the broiler king.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Wait, will we actually get combat mechanics?
Because logically, in a post apocalyptic scenario where resources are short, you'd think there'd be some conflict.
No, you just tell people they will get frostbite and they accept their station in life because you are the broiler king.

Oh, so basically the Heat Nazi.
"You don't like Children being sent to the Coal Mines? NO HEAT FOR YOU!"

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
More news yesterday:

• Choose your truce - Can you trust other communities? Should you respect their ways of survival or bend them to your will?
  • Establish an economical union with other outposts using the Transport Depot.
  • Help develop other Settlements by fulfilling their requests.
  • Construct Safe Routes on the Frostland and exchange surplus resources for those you lack.
  • Discover 16 brand new areas of the Frostland and revisit some of the old sites - learning their fate after the Great Storm.
  • Communicate with other communities thanks to brand new UI in the Administration building.
  • Try to survive without control over the Book of Laws.
  • Enable new mechanics available in the Endless Mode.

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/323190/view/2725193781456405869

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Apparently, streamers already got copies of it. I didn't watch it, so I don't know how the ideas are implemented.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It is really overpriced story dlc lol.

That's the only thing the devs focus on, probably another writer/artist lead indie studio. If they had ideas for new gameplay mechanics to put into a DLC, the base game wouldn't be so shallow in the first place.
Sure,but it is not even some amazing writing,it is 2-3 hour mini story that is nothing new.

Hellraiser

Arcane
I had high hopes for this game before it got released, some nice simultionism and frozen steampunk city building. Even something fairly simple like Surviving Mars in this icy steampunk setting would be ok. Instead I got a glorified CYOA pretending to be a strategy game.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I had high hopes for this game before it got released, some nice simultionism and frozen steampunk city building. Instead I got a glorified CYOA pretending to be a strategy game.
The setting and the world are really interesting,but the gameplay is really meh at best. It is a city builder at best. If you want a claustrophobic frozen hell game,you go and make a nice scenario in rimworld.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I had high hopes for this game before it got released, some nice simultionism and frozen steampunk city building. Even something fairly simple like Surviving Mars in this icy steampunk setting would be ok. Instead I got a glorified CYOA pretending to be a strategy game.

The "its not a proper strategy game" argument has been there since the launch and its baffling. No idea why are people insisting Frostpunk must be a sandbox strategy game. It's not and it was never supposed to be. It's a mission-based strategy survival and it's so much better for that. We have enough great strat sandboxes today, thank god Frostpunk is unique. Personally it's easily in my Top 10 games of the last decade.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Where is the strategy? In figuring out the scripted events changing your two bars at the bottom of the screen and choosing what to research/build first to counter it? That's all there is to this game. You're just along for the ride to place buildings to counter the events from the script, since for all you know the game can suddenly dump more people to house and feed or whatever on your lap and you face a downwards spiral of one of the two bars if you are not ready when this happens. Thus by design it is throwing out the window any notion of long term strategic planning. At least with something like They are Billions where you also have timed scripted events in the missions, the game tells you well in advance what to expect (although it is also a bit bullshit with that at times) and you know upfront how much time you have to prepare and more or less for what.

The logistic side is on browser strategy level, since buildings are a flat +x resource per hour regardless of distance to deposit, travel time or anything. There's no production chain to speak of. It has a nice space/expansion management gimmick with the heat and that is pretty much it. The only thing besides heat that you need to learn is the scenario's scripted events, since everything else is shallow or gameplay-irrelevant fluff and by itself will not cause you to fail due to inefficient use of resources or whatever as there is no nuance to the economic mechanics (need food? build a food building in heat, no other thought required) and there is no combat layer.

This is why I called it a glorified CYOA pretending to be a strategy game, you can't lose for reasons other than the scripted events fucking with you and there is no strategy outside of figuring out how to tackle the scripted sequence of events, with the exception of placing heaters and buildings around them.

Last edited:

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
The board game Kickstarter launched.

eee2efe44b3e70692a422acfa64ead24_original.jpg

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/glasscannonunplugged/frostpunk-the-board-game

oldbonebrown

Arcane
To me these complaints are largely moot because I think the greatness of the game is mostly in the first playthrough. Before I had the chance to fully discover the shallowness of my choices, that pretense of strategy worked well enough together with the pretty presentation that the battle with the scripted events felt constantly engaging.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Coming to mobile. I'm sure everyone here is terribly excited to play it on a fucking telephone. It's free-to-play, with microtransactions.

4078a3be64959a072b8cfa77f6b445cefa9b66d6.png

Hear me, hear me! Citizens of New London and New Manchester, your Captains may now hail not just from PC, Xbox, and Playstation but soon also mobile devices!

It is our great pleasure to announce that we are partnering with NetEase Games, an established mobile developer to introduce the thought-provoking Frostpunk reality to those always on the go.

Paying heritage to the unique signature gameplay mechanics that you lot are already used to, Frostpunk Mobile will let players dive deeper into the post-apocalypse societal survival experience. With new features including Roguelike Adventure, Law and Guild, Rare Animal Rescue Station, and Character Development, Frostpunk Mobile has set its sight on providing an immersive experience for all players worldwide, on both iOS and Android.

What shortcuts and what sacrifices are you willing to take to make sure your Community survives despite the resource shortages and eternal frost? Will your humanity stay intact or will it get bent in order to serve the greater good?

To learn more and get the freshest updates about the approaching title, follow its official social media channels:

With warmest regards,
11 bit studios

UPDATE

Hello Everyone! There have been many questions about our involvement as 11 bit studios within the development and the gameplay nature of the game NetEase Games is making in partnership with us. Their team prepared an FAQ file with answers to questions we have seen being raised here as well, and therefore attaching the file below.

42dbb095b64503dd1e49c6eb8a061534ed02e690.png

NetEase Games is currently planning testing for the game, which you can pre-register for on their official website if interested:

http://www.frostpunkmobile.com/

With warmest regards,
11 bit studios

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom