Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GRAVEN - dark fantasy first person action puzzler from 3D Realms

Nito

Educated
Patron
What would be the legalese of 3D Realms releasing a Doom engine game, considering Doom is now open source ?

Dunno, has there been any recent commercial doom engine (or sourceport) games?

I would assume the licensing is still non-commercial, so they'd probably have to come to some agreement with Bethesda if someone wanted to use the engine commercially.

There's this one.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1072150/Hedon/

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
What would be the legalese of 3D Realms releasing a Doom engine game, considering Doom is now open source ?

Dunno, has there been any recent commercial doom engine (or sourceport) games?

I would assume the licensing is still non-commercial, so they'd probably have to come to some agreement with Bethesda if someone wanted to use the engine commercially.

There's this one.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1072150/Hedon/

I'd forgotten about that one.

After doing a bit of research the later versions of GZDoom (post 3.2.0 when they changed the license and removed certain dependencies) can be used for commercial projects. It just has the usual GPL stipulations of having to provide any source code modifications to the engine.

I doubt most devs would need to make changes to the GZDoom engine itself as the majority of functionality can be achieved by ACS scripting in GZDoom/ZDoom games.

geno

Savant
Stephan Weyte (the voice of Caleb) is a VA in the unannounced FPS 2.
On a side note, some musician is teasing a 3D Realms RTS

At first I thought it was a FPS since he's actively doing stuff for Quake.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Stephan Weyte (the voice of Caleb) is a VA in the unannounced FPS 2.

Interesting that he also seems to have a role in Gloomwood. They've moved on from hitting those nostalgia nerves to stomping them hard :-P

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Looks like "unannounced fps 2" is going to be announced soon. Frederik posted this image on the channel.

Because its title is G????N, some people thought about Gunman Chronicles, but it looks more of a fantasy-themed FPS.

Ash

Arcane
Hexen is much better than Heretic, but could use some dress-up and sense of direction with it's "puzzles", instead of them just being switch hunts.

Agreed, the level design is unnecessarily obtuse but I do like the hub-based design.
Level design is better than Heretic and conveys fantasy themes pretty well.
What is obtuse is the whole find switch->pull switch->run around entire hub to find what changed->repeat cycle.
Even going Hexen II style faux adventure would have worked better.

Heretic is better because less obtuse level design that is still somewhat complex and engaging, over double the size of arsenal to juggle (and on top of that hexen's fourth weapon uses ammo of the second and third weapons and is usually shit, making it really only three weapons), no tome of power, Heretic's music is better.
Hexen is an early symbol of decline. Sure the hubs are cool, except when they're not because the stupid switch hunting with minimal signposting.

My experience may be different to others though. I played as mage. I enjoyed it enough to complete it but it was pretty damn boring at times. The level design saved it (the non-obtuse elements: enemy placement, trap design, layout, interconnectivity, visual variety, resulting atmosphere etc etc).

Last edited:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Because its title is G????N, some people thought about Gunman Chronicles, but it looks more of a fantasy-themed FPS.
Hmm...Activision should own the rights to that. I don't think they'd sell the rights to someone like 3D Realms, no matter how little they care about it today.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Retro FPS companies unite again:

https://www.realmsdeep.game/

poster_web.png

That looks like 3D Realms and New Blood are co-developing something.

Also John Romero vs. Tim Willits Quake match to settle on this matter or bust.

geno

Savant
Why is The adventures of Square here? Last time I watch, it was a free Doom mod
Is it bad I don't recognize half the games at the bottom?
Also, APOGEE? What are they planning?
Apogee has the rights of Kingpin, which is being remastered by 3D Realms. Maybe they'll announce a release date.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Apogee has the rights of Kingpin, which is being remastered by 3D Realms. Maybe they'll announce a release date.
So they're different companies now? Or are they just having them as different labels for some unfathomable reason? What's next, someone buys the name GT Interactive and start putting out random shit?
Also, I'm pretty sure a couple of those are free Doom mods. They might very well be heading the commericial route.

Jezal_k23

Hexen is an early symbol of decline.

If you define decline as the ascension of dumb linear cover shooters, then Hexen by definition cannot be a symbol of decline, since it featured convoluted non-linear level design as a core element of the game.

Grim Monk

Arcane
Also, APOGEE? What are they planning?

Pretty sure those are still held by Hervé Caen squatting over the moldering ruins of Interplay.

So they're different companies now?

Seems like it...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_Realms

On March 2, 2014, it was announced that SDN Invest, the part-owner of Interceptor Entertainment, had acquired 3D Realms for an undisclosed sum. Mike Nielsen, the founder and chairman of SDN Invest, became the new chief executive officer of 3D Realms. That December, 3D Realms relocated its headquarters to Aalborg, Denmark.

In 2008, Terry Nagy, a college friend of Miller, acquired the rights to the "Apogee Software" name and logo, as well as the rights to several games developed under that name, and established a new company to publish further titles using the moniker.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Graven. They say this is an "immersive sim": http://graven.game/

ss_4f1f86b25d78719ed48e74a5bcb8e27ee778a5ef.1920x1080.jpg

ss_5147d16fafc557784ad49d05f28cc7cb6dceb41f.1920x1080.jpg

ss_dd0705bb157388263841d792393e8c0e6a83addc.1920x1080.jpg

AboutGraven.png

A faithful priest of the Orthogonal order, exiled unto death for a crime in defense of another, you live again in a small boat, adrift in a swamp. A stranger ferries you to solid ground and bestows upon you vague instructions, along with a mysterious staff and book. Go forth, pious priest, alleviate suffering, uncover deceptions, and smash the eldritch perversions encroaching upon reality itself.

GR_Gif_1.gif

A marriage between modern development tools and techniques with a stark late 90s aesthetic bring the action first person puzzler GRAVEN to life, featuring character designs by Chuck Jones (Duke Nukem 3d, Half-Life) and the voice talent of Stephan Weyte (Blood, Fire Emblem, Dusk) in a dark yet distinct medieval fantasy experience.

GR_Gif_4.gif

Highlights.png

• Solve puzzles and scour lore to uncover the motives of the foul heretical sects behind the plagues and seasons undermining the land.
  • Alter your environment with all that surrounds you, wielding spells and crystals to adjust as you see fit in your pursuit.
  • Discover new weapons and upgrade them at blacksmiths and alchemists to customize your capability.
  • Expand your horizons by returning to old stomping grounds with new abilities and seeing how far down the chasms go.
  • Slay over thirty distinct enemies in an ever broadening world across numerous biomes.
  • Walk the parallel path, lest you stumble into the recesses of the world, where the fog knows no light, and creatures beyond time roam free.
  • Earn your peace.
GR_Gif_3.gif

sser

Arcane
Developer
Not gonna watch anymore gameplay outside the trailer. Already hooked. Love the setting, style, all of it. Can't wait.

Jezal_k23

Don't wanna spoil myself either. Is it hub based like Hexen? What games are their main inspiration?

Ash

Arcane
This looks badass. Just posting to bump the thread and show my support. Very promising.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom