Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Owlcat hiring to develop a turn-based sci-fi RPG

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Turn-based science fiction RPG made by Owlcat?

:shredder:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
https://investor.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/2019-20-Press-statement-1.pdf

Page 7

Licensing
Our goal is AAA video games. We have signed multiple licences and we continue to negotiate many more, we will update you once they are announced. At the time of writing, we have 73 licences and are signing new ones every 2-3 months.

They're announcing 300M € by May 2020.
I wonder how they managed to do that.

But if you read further, here is the answer...

Rachel Tongue, Group Finance Director

Gyor

Savant
looks like they are developing a Starfinder CRPG.

Isn't star-finder a mess or has it gotten better/more clarified?

Though I suppose if true it'll be the closest thing to a new Spelljammer game I'm ever going to get.
It was a mess last time I checked. (I wanted to say hot garbage, but that's probably too harsh). It's been a while since I did check though. I don't know if they've since patched it with a Starfinder 1.5 version, I never bothered with it again. And its problems make it uniquely unsuited to a videogame adaptation ala Kingmaker. Pathfinder proper is mechanically sound but has a crappy worldbuilding and story writing. Owlcat was able to improve on those issues while adapting the mechanics largely faithfully. But Starfinder has issues with its mechanics too. I hope to god it's not Starfinder they're developing, or that they got the ok to make a not-faithful adaptation if it is.

As I understand they are fixing Pathfinders mythic rules to something epic and cool, so I don't see why they couldn't fix Starfinders mechanics.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
You all lack imagination Owlcat should make isometric tactical turn based S.T.A.L.K.E.R
Never.

GSC Game World is a Ukrainian video game developer based in Kiev. Founded in 1995 by Sergiy Grygorovych, it is best known for the Cossacks and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series of games.

Olwcat Games is a family of more than 40 people, with offices located in Cyprus and Russia.

It's like an American writing a manga in 1942. (I would not risk a ban by giving you a German example).

Last edited:

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Can't Russia just claim Stalker as something they annexed along with Crimea?

I know... Kiev's not part of Crimea, but....
:edgy:

Last edited:

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Can't Russia just claim Stalker as something they annexed along with Crimea?
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. as the story of a Russian separatist group infiltrating behind the line and blowing up Ukrainian towns and villages would be pretty based. With an internal tactical mini-game Desperados style.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I really don't want it to be starfinder game. Please it be Warhammer.
9dvc548.png

deuxhero

Arcane
please anything but Warhammer 40k. THere dozens games in it and SPECE MAHREENES are boring as fuck

I'll take Starfinder thank you

A proper RPG in 40K would prob be Rogue Trader, far away from any Space Marine, since they're the only ones with any kind of freedom on the level needed for a PC (can talk to Xenos without being splattered by Commisar/Inquisitor). Starfinder is the derp of 40k, but without the insanity that makes it remotely interesting.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
please anything but Warhammer 40k. THere dozens games in it and SPECE MAHREENES are boring as fuck

I'll take Starfinder thank you

A proper RPG in 40K would prob be Rogue Trader, far away from any Space Marine, since they're the only ones with any kind of freedom on the level needed for a PC (can talk to Xenos without being splattered by Commisar/Inquisitor). Starfinder is the derp of 40k, but without the insanity that makes it remotely interesting.
Dark Heresy is also a possibility. The PC as an Inquisitor would work nicely for an RPG

Cat Dude

Savant
Probably Warhammer 1838388228838K. Pretty sure everyone missed bald space marines.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Quality Warhammer games are a license to print money.
Does Owlcat hate money? I guess we'll find out!

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Quality Warhammer games are a license to print money.
Does Owlcat hate money? I guess we'll find out!
They already have a goldmine without competition with the Pathfinder license. They basically can keep reselling the same game over and over for years from now on, they just need to add something new with each iteration, always building on what they already did for the previous game.

WotC finally gave the D&D license to someone mildly competent, but the 5th edition definitely doesn't scratch the same itch that 3.x does.

In the end, they have two choices:
- to stick to a game for which they already have a working engine;
- to dive into something new, building a new engine from scratch.

Having seen how they handled the release of Kingmaker, I'm fairly sure of which one is the correct choice for them.

cb.spike

Educated
They already have a goldmine without competition with the Pathfinder license. They basically can keep reselling the same game over and over for years from now on, they just need to add something new with each iteration, always building on what they already did for the previous game.

WotC finally gave the D&D license to someone mildly competent, but the 5th edition definitely doesn't scratch the same itch that 3.x does.

In the end, they have two choices:
- to stick to a game for which they already have a working engine;
- to dive into something new, building a new engine from scratch.

Having seen how they handled the release of Kingmaker, I'm fairly sure of which one is the correct choice for them.

Owlcat can do the same thing as Larian with Baldur´s Gate 3/ Original Sin 3. Use fundation from Paathfinder and build W40K RPG on it.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron

Yeah, Starfinder is such an obvious choice I'm surprised how there could be even a shadow of a doubt.

1. Paizo wants more exposure to their less popular setting.
2. Owlcats Everyone wants more money for less work.

Adapting already implemented and tested out set of pathfinder core rules to the "same shit but in space" would take incomparingly less work then building everything from sratch.
So even though I relate to the people wanting a good wh40k tb rpg, this is not it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom