Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dwarf Fortress now on Steam with a graphical overhaul

Perkel

Arcane
Seriously GTFO guys with stockholm syndrome for keyboard only controls. Try to fucking build anything in vanilla without mods and especially if something has more than one level. It works for digging holes but if you want to actually design something and build in 3D it is fucking pain in ass.

I frequently build over ground fortresses and without mods it is practically impossible as any structure with 3-4 levels and some complexity takes 20-30 minutes even for small house so doing anything bigger is day or more work. DF keyboard scheme is playable yes but it is clear to anyone that 5 year old could do better keyboard scheme. Just that you have 3 different directional key sets for different parts of UI is enough to bang wall with head for how stupid it is.

RimWorld is completely playable without keyboard and joy to play. DF does have more complexity but that complexity is in system not in player accessibility.

Casual Hero

Augur
Seriously GTFO guys with stockholm syndrome for keyboard only controls. Try to fucking build anything in vanilla without mods and especially if something has more than one level. It works for digging holes but if you want to actually design something and build in 3D it is fucking pain in ass.

I frequently build over ground fortresses and without mods it is practically impossible as any structure with 3-4 levels and some complexity takes 20-30 minutes even for small house so doing anything bigger is day or more work. DF keyboard scheme is playable yes but it is clear to anyone that 5 year old could do better keyboard scheme. Just that you have 3 different directional key sets for different parts of UI is enough to bang wall with head for how stupid it is.

RimWorld is completely playable without keyboard and joy to play. DF does have more complexity but that complexity is in system not in player accessibility.
Yeah, I did say I was "almost sad", but this is obviously for the best. Creating structures is my least part of current Dwarf Fortress, so the first thing I want to try when we get a proper UI is to build an above ground fortress.

I hope DF will still be fully playable using keyboard only. I really like to play on keyboard without a mouse. Completed Gothics this way even. Mice suck.

I too enjoy having an actual vim-like keyboard for the game. It's much nicer for playing on a laptop. I do worry that they'll run into the problem of trying to support two modes of a complex interface and just making a mess of both.
While it would be nice to keep the same keyboard controls as an option, that is not going to happen. Toady already said that the Classic version will get all the same updates as the Steam version. That being said, keyboard controls aren't out of the question; they would just be different from what we are used to, if anything. Like he said, the UI will be organized into 6 categories- maybe there will be a key to open each of these. Whatever happens, it's going to be different from what it is now, and there is going to be no going back.

Perkel

Arcane
Is Toad is a member or lurking rpgcodex?

Doubt it, dude is full autist who spend all days working on DF doing nothing else than that. Up until he put patreon he lived in effectively some flat that looked like hovel and barely got by with bills. The only reason you hear about him more now is that someone from family has health issues and he needs good chunk of money.

To understand his autism level you need to understand that he finished MIT and he received research fellowship on MIT for a year until he quit on his own (MIT wanted to continue) to make his previous game DF1 which was 3D.

If he would be then he would be in secret gronard lodge with few posts but been here since forever.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Keyboard controls definitely needed an improvement (and a proper tree structure), but the idea was definitely fine. You don't need a mouse to play games like this, in fact they are often a hindrance. Keyboard is both faster and more convenient if properly implemented.

Perkel

Arcane
For some things keyboard is better, for some things mouse is better. For most things, using just one of them is suboptimal.

And yet RimWorld plays ideally without any keyboard involvement. Literally same type of game. Only things you really need from keyboard is pause button which could be remaped to mouse either way.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
If Toady leaves the option to continue using keyboard shortcuts, I don't see why it matters too much either way.

Must admit, with the changes to DF every major version it is frustrating having to learn new keyboard shortcuts.

Johannes

Arcane
For some things keyboard is better, for some things mouse is better. For most things, using just one of them is suboptimal.

And yet RimWorld plays ideally without any keyboard involvement. Literally same type of game. Only things you really need from keyboard is pause button which could be remaped to mouse either way.
There's a lot of essential keybinds in Rimworld, but the game would benefit from having more of them, so you wouldn't need to use mouse for navigating menus.

Perkel

Arcane
If Toady leaves the option to continue using keyboard shortcuts, I don't see why it matters too much either way.

Must admit, with the changes to DF every major version it is frustrating having to learn new keyboard shortcuts.

I don't remember him changing any shortcuts to any new version. Adding new keybinds sure but not changing old ones.

Perkel

Arcane
look at it motherfuckers. DF goes into 2000 era !

MOUSE DRIVEN MENU !

13f662e9694091cf4b49053b2bc2b52b39d88f2a.png

Farewell into the night

Nice colours. They remind me of something, but I can't remember.

Perkel

Arcane
Another 10 and maybe there will be graphene CPUs that will allow us to play DF with more than small embark and more than 200 dwarves without FPS death.

Perkel

Arcane
Is this the point where someone finally asks if we really need to have 40 different leather types for backpacks on embark? No?

O.K.

We reallly need it. It is one of the features i like about DF. Nothing feels better than make equipment out of dragon. Dragon socks, Dragon loincloth etc. I wish though that materials used would severely impact equipment protection endurance etc.

There is some correlation but it is small for things outside of common metals.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom