Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Microsoft Flight Simulator

Quilty

Magister
Are there missions, jobs?

There seem to be missions in term of a series of flights you have to do from one place to another, it's more like a series of challenges, but no jobs/career in the vein of ETS2/ATS as far as I can tell. Hopefully, FSEconomy will be made to work with MSFS and maybe even a new version of Air Hauler will come out, but until then we'll have to set missions for ourselves.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
There are videos showing a flight school, but nothing much else.

Some people reported that it can be integrated with FSE via openplane

Of course there is hope that someone makes ETS2 for this, but it will take time.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

PMDG has previewed some details of their 737. release is stated as ca Q1 2021, I guess it takes longer but they put all their stakes on this and it will be completed not too far in the future.

(until then we will have to make do with Microsofts popamole-Airbus)

https://www.thresholdx.net/news/pmdg73

5f230fbb5545ae58a4861d78_Y9Iy0R1ZFSiBdY-Ahn7bC5YNq-w2yNyDBvqhtLt2Oi9iCGytl9DQUrLb0GfKQm-3UzufFYEDP69zgnQtkLPnVVbQIFEkXCfSCz1lNTdk0QAh-yNWhaUHpbHmwUugxtw_jDQWb062.png

5f230fbb8ed8937688cbf502_R-egtD3RabKHUTTrMk_-pANgf4ILcVhkYKovjvNTMgV2E8staMsxLQ38wu3d-W1BI6LxH7BgXsPfb_8Xs9BHNWcrNZJQEh47mZ43E7YFNP7Pi0ycisBLUV_xid_sI8OPMKkvpKxO.png

5f230fbb891e1b2142a4ff50_6Di7sQ9bmiRBkQTDtfx4rc27HAHdrb5aY8CEcUuozLvs-HH7UEwrophAGm178TluMd5ThircpLGUA1N0PomVdDaSD7iWUYWW7DbvGswXVnkU4jKwG8EsNwMmPP1cbkZMuEE6iDHb.png

Burning Bridges

Here's Quill18 giving a nice overview.

someone with a i7 4730K and GTA 1080 running at ca 20-40fps, and the sim still looking good, with some unsurprising problems in the scenery department.

It's not fluid but if those results are realistic people will be able to run it.

If you're really in to this I would still recommend saving for a new computer because sensation of flight at 30fps is not the real deal.

Burning Bridges

One thing that gets me really hyped is bushflying with this Super Cub

I also saw some videos that looked shit though

Quilty

Magister

Here's Quill18 giving a nice overview.

someone with a i7 4730K and GTA 1080 running at ca 20-40fps, and the sim still looking good, with some unsurprising problems in the scenery department.

It's not fluid but if those results are realistic people will be able to run it.

If you're really in to this I would still recommend saving for a new computer because sensation of flight at 30fps is not the real deal.

I think somewhere near the beginning of this video (or the one after it, can't recall), he said he screwed up something in OBS when setting up his recording, so the slowdows and stuttering may not be caused by the sim.

Quilty

Magister
One thing that gets me really hyped is bushflying with this Super Cub

I also saw some videos that looked shit though

Bushflying is my main draw to the sim, love using those smaller planes with VFR.

Not sure what the settings were in some of the videos I saw, but occasionally the ground textures looked really muddy, especially in more remote areas, but even in the heart of London. Hopefully it's down to the user settings...

Burning Bridges

The videos also indicate that it is extremely GPU heavy. Many had GPU at 90+%, CPU at 50%. That's something to consider when upgrading.

But the good thing is that this leaves lots of room for 3rd party planes which usually consume lots of CPU cycles for the simulated systems. Graphics can be adjusted to your specs, simulated systems can not.

Quilty

Magister
The videos also indicate that it is extremely GPU heavy. Many had GPU at 90+%, CPU at 50%. That's something to consider when upgrading.

But the good thing is that this leaves lots of room for 3rd party planes which usually consume lots of CPU cycles for the simulated systems. Graphics can be adjusted to your specs, simulated systems can not.

Man, I still have my 1070Ti, and while it's been serving me really well so far, it may just be time to finally take the plunge and upgrade to a 2080... Will have to wait and see, but Quill18 is using a 1080 and getting some decent visuals and framerate, so who knows, maybe the ol' 1070 still has some life in it.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It will run on the Xbox One S. Of course your hardware will be enough for a decent frame rate.

Burning Bridges

Man, I still have my 1070Ti, and while it's been serving me really well so far, it may just be time to finally take the plunge and upgrade to a 2080... Will have to wait and see, but Quill18 is using a 1080 and getting some decent visuals and framerate, so who knows, maybe the ol' 1070 still has some life in it.

I also have a 1070 and no plans to replace it this year. If you run 4xAA there will always be a 16x setting that makes it unplayable etc. The question for me is only if I can configure the graphics until it matches my card, and how it looks.

Quilty

Magister
Which platform are you bros planning to get this on? I recently saw that it's available on Steam as well as Microsoft's store, but I have no experience with the latter.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I got gamepass ultimate so I will get it from Xbox app firsthand. Wanna see how it runs first. Got 1070ti but also a 7 year old haswell i7.

Watched quills vid with my kid and his settings seem a bit way too optimistic. Doesnt look smooth tbh.
Jerky as fuck and pop in was crazy, it just loads anything in line or behind the airplane, not a millimeter infront.

Also, skip the rtx 20x lineup if you're going to upgrade, new gen from Nvidia and AMD is coming in a month or two.

Last edited:

Quilty

Magister
I got gamepass ultimate so I will get it from Xbox app firsthand. Wanna see how it runs first. Got 2070ti but also a 7 year old haswell i7.

Watched quills vid with my kid and his settings seem a bit way too optimistic. Doesnt look smooth tbh.
Jerky as fuck and pop in was crazy, it just loads anything in line or behind the airplane, not a millimeter infront.

Also, skip the rtx 20x lineup if you're going to upgrade, new gen from Nvidia and AMD is coming in a month or two.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll wait and see how it runs on my 1070 and then maybe wait for the new gen you mention.

Regarding Quill's video, like I said in a previous post, the jerkiness in one of his videos was supposedly caused by his recording settings and didn't happen in-game. Of course, any pop-in can't be blamed on that.

Burning Bridges

What worries me is not the framerates he's getting in the video, because that can be adjusted by myself.

What does worry me are 2 other things, the shimmering and the pop-in. The popping of terrain is something you never - I repeat never- see in X-Plane and it's terribly immersion breaking. And this extreme jaggniess - in some videos I could barely recognize the runway during takeoff because the pixels were wandering all the time - would require me to run 8xAA and I am sure I cannot afford that with MSFS.

I settled for now that I will go for framerates and that it looks like in the Cessna video I posted. This is still above X-plane but only because the scenery overlay is so much better. In X-plane it looks like a satellite image overlayed with 1990 lego buildings.

Burning Bridges

And while everyone is speaking about the graphics let me say that some of the sounds in this sim are setting a new standard too.

This goes in particular for most of the GA aircraft like the Cessna Skyhawk or the Cub, and I am really excited to fly them.

The Airbus by comparison is pretty weak though, and the 747 I don't even bother to look at. Many switches are not modelled, there are no secondary flight plans etc. There will be much better payware alternatives to those popamole airliners within a year. The fact that many people fly and land them from the external view is the cherry on top.

Burning Bridges

Which platform are you bros planning to get this on? I recently saw that it's available on Steam as well as Microsoft's store, but I have no experience with the latter.

Steam and Basic Edition. I don't really see the point of 10 extra popamole aircraft, the aircraft are the weakest part of this game anyway. I'd rather save that money for something else.

If you are not sure one could of course go the game pass option, sort of a free test month (1$)

Burning Bridges

Lots of new videos come up every day, this shows where the photogrammetric approach does not only shine.

Burning Bridges

Game isn't even released but the discussions on Steam are already cracking me up.

People complaining that there are too many Flight Simulator versions, people moaning about the "ridiculous" price which no one can "afford", VR whiners announcing their usual boycott while others call them VR noobs, and of course almost everyone is a real pilot.

If I look at this I almost understand why Microsoft has no respect for gamers and cancels projects all the time.

Here one example. "swisch" a pilot with 20 years flying experience and legasthenia opened a discussion that you cannot fly or land planes without VR ("absolutly nesesary"), and then it goes for 15 pages

As a real Pilot: VR is critical!
I had play Flight Sims 20 years ago. But after ive played with Ocolus Quest and Valve Index, the DCS I can say:

THE FEELING FOR 3 DIMENSIONS IS NESESARY!

Absolutly mission critical.

You cant simulate a plane and fly or landing without VR!!!

Absolutly impossible!

Apparently microsoft has not yet locked threads or deleted dumb comments, that's why it totally went south within the first days.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
The almost total lack of older aircraft is a let down. Only one older model cessna, and even the piper cub is an updated model. No C-47/DC-3, no de Havilland Beaver...

Burning Bridges

The Steam forum is currently a goldmine.

Apparently Microsoft doesn't think it necessary to lock or delete threads. Instead they seem to rely on an automatic content check system. Of course that's easily circumvented and a certain number of trolls create more and more absurd topics like "will it run on Windows XP?" "how much will it cost for the subscription" "what, no Windows 7 support?!" "how does it play on mouse and keyboard" etc and there are of course lots of dumb kids who accept the bait and get into usual arguments.

It only shows where lack of moderation leads :lol: also it's funny that Microsoft apparently does not care about any type of moderation on Steam.

Burning Bridges

The almost total lack of older aircraft is a let down. Only one older model cessna, and even the piper cub is an updated model. No C-47/DC-3, no de Havilland Beaver...

I know what you mean. Half of the included planes use popamole glass cockpits. Which is not a bad thing per se but it looks like Microsoft also saved a lot of time that way, using copy&paste and identical colors almost anywhere. The interiors also look cheap and plasticky like inexpensive vibrators, but again that might be artistically most pleasing to people who prefer shine on everything (riff raff).

I also compared the different editions in than light and to me there is only 2 planes in the 2 upper tiers that get my prestigious attention: the Cessna Skyhawk with steam gauges (not the G1000) and the Shock Ultra.

I discussed this with some people and actually the Robin DR400 in the basic version is at least as good as the Cessna 172. It has a glorious cockpit, perfect visibility, fantastic engine sound and in real life is actually considered the more valuable, more expensive, more sporty option for someone who finds Cessna too mundane. So that would leave only the Zlin Shock Ultra (which is a nice plane to land anywhere you want, and looks a bit like a Fieseler Storch). Not worth 60$ extra imo.

Here someone took the DR 400 to a night flight

The extra airports are not worth much money (there will probably be thousands of freeware airports) and the other planes from what I can say mostly popamole.

That's why I will probably stick with the Basic version because I can use that money for 3rd party addons later on.

I'm already expecting study level versions of the Socata 850 or King Air 350 because those are extremely popular planes. The same with DC-3. There are like 5 or 6 in X-Plane and it's only a question who makes the first one for FS20, and how good it will be. Expect at least half a dozen DC-3s within 3 years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom