Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best way to play Baldur's Gate

What is the best way to play Baldur's Gate for the first time?

• Play the original without any mods

• Big World Project

• BG: Enhanced Edition

• Something else (see post)

Results are only viewable after voting.

harhar!

Augur
See title. I want to play it for the first time. What's the best option?

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Play BGEE (and BGEE2) with the "Disabled Enhanced Edition NPC's" mod, and skip the Siege of Dragonspear module, respectively import your character directly into BG2 after you're done with BG1.

EE is the fast and easy solution to start BG without almost no mods to install.

BWP is more complex and you really have to know what you're going to install, otherwise, the game can become a huge mess.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
The authoritative* version of course - the Enhanced Edition.

*From Miriam's Dictionary - having, marked by, or proceeding from authority.

Hey Lilura, guess who is the ultimate authority - the IP holder. That would be Wizards of the Coast/Ed Greenwood. Guess which version they use as the basis of canon - the Enhanced Edition. You wanna know how I know that? One - I asked. Two - Neera is referenced in official WotC work. So she's canon. So are the EE. So they're authoritative.

Have a wonderful day.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Now a more serious answer - the EE version. They work straight out of the gate, the UI is adjusted to widescreen/high resolutions, you can skip the EE companions (JUST LIKE ANY OTHER, FOR GOD'S SAKE) if you don't like them. No need to mod them out. If you don't like the look of the UI, it can easily be modded.

Siege of Dragonspear is a good bridge between the two games, and also features an excellent dungeon in the form of Dragonspear itself. Probably the best in the series, maybe next to Durlag's Tower.

valky667

Novice
BG:EE straight out of the box.
Faster loading times (or save/reload for that matter), better distinct party control with the colored circles, that can be changed by the user (=main clothing color), no widescreen-mod needed, no other mod needed.

it just works....

Durlag's Tower for more OP stuff and then switch over and import into BG2:EE :P
You can get to 21 WIS in BG1 (!) - that is hell of OP, with a dualed fighter -> cleric

The only thing, I found a little bit disturbing is the pixel smoothing; while I only played BG2 and not BG1 with the widescreen mod, it looks crispier and kinda sharper and not necessary worse than the EE, but the performance impact is huge. (edit: of course I played both of them in EE - but only 2 with the mentioned mod..*weird*)
Can probably be enhanced by using ReShade....but then again, you can just zoom out ^^

Last edited:

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Use BGT, and mods to modify ruleset to the original. That way you have OG ruleset and no bonus classes and stuff from BG2 engine.

Only reason is for good pathfinding, original pathfinding is AWFUL.

Tigranes

Arcane
Just play the original, it's a pretty-looking game with a well-designed UI that is easy to pick up and play. You're not going to sit there squinting or wondering which keyboard hotkeys to go forward or crashing from massive bugs.

If you like, download the Widescreen Mod.

There's no reason to bother with ruleset changes or BG2 engine stuff until your second playthrough, at which point you can pick up SCS.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I say this with no ill will DalekFlay, but you are one of the few posters I would definitely not mind watching in a tornado.

JDR13

Arcane
Pretty sure the EE is 99% fixed now and removes the annoyance of installing a bunch of mods, but I wouldn't expect many people here to say that.

I like the EE for the most part, but it uses the inferior character sprites from BGII. It would be damn near perfect if not for that.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Since it's the first time, any contact with the retarded beamdog NPCs and the embarrassing Siege of the Dragonspear can really spoil your game. As a veteran, when I recently tried the EE trilogy, I was pretty disgusted with the new NPCs (I unfortunately tried using a few of them) but I knew which of them where the new ones and from then on I simply slaughtered them all, which gave me some satisfaction at least. On the other hand SoD (which is a really, really bad fanfic mod) can only be semi-avoided through the developer's menu, but you still have to suffer through the prologue and epilogue and that was rather annoying.

If you just want to play BG1 and/or BG2 separately, either use original games with the widescreen mod (for higher resolutions convenience), or use the EE editions with the Convenient Enhanced Edition NPCs mod that can disable all the beamdog NPCs.

If you want to play the whole trilogy as one (Bg1, Bg2 and ToB) you would need to use a mod to combine all games; BWP for the originals and EET for the EE versions. I'd just go with BWP + Widescreen mod, it's not harder to setup than EET and you completely avoid SoD, while EET needs SoD to be installed.

Since it's your first time I would suggest to just play Bg1 and Bg2+ToB separately without any other mods than the ones mentioned above.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I like the EE for the most part, but it uses the inferior character sprites from BGII. It would be damn near perfect if not for that.

arundel.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom