Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Retardo? Toilet Designs in an RPG

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I've been sipping coffee and thinking about ways to deal with worldbuilding, character building, and narrative design.

Eventually, I came to a conclusion: instead of wasting millions of dollars on voice acting and hiring 10 monkeys to produce walls of text, the money should be spent on a more important aspect that can tell you a lot about the world and each particular character.

That's right -- the money should be spent on designing unique toilets that contain the 'personal touch' of its owner(s) (or users if the toilet happens to be in a public place).

Imagine romancing a nice girl only to find out that she never bothers to flush after doing a number two, which makes her house smell like shit, which gives your character a stat debuff -- and imagine being able to find out about that BEFORE you get a chance to romance her. I bet it make you think carefully about your choices.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
kz0vyen8ynf31.jpg

Krice

Arcane
Developer
One of the room types in Kaduria is a toilet, but it's just a hole with a stone ring to sit on. I think it would be good if it had some kind of water.. fountain in it to flush everything down the pipe for sure. And then you could drink from that fountain in case of emergency. If you didn't have water fountain it would smell bad in the dungeon, I know this because I have visited an old school toilet where everything just lands on a pile. The smell is something you want to forget.

Codex Year of the Donut
You lack vision, why not use the toilets to inform the player about the values of the very world they've found themselves in?
LEZ1Bon.png
Sitting on the toilet for long periods of time is extremely unhealthy, this should be the standard.
Probably one of those things that should get some public health warnings with the rise of smartphones.

mondblut

Arcane
You lack vision, why not use the toilets to inform the player about the values of the very world they've found themselves in?
LEZ1Bon.png
Sitting on the toilet for long periods of time is extremely unhealthy, this should be the standard.
Probably one of those things that should get some public health warnings with the rise of smartphones.

Before smartphones there was those obscure things called "books" and "newspapers", you know.

They could serve double purpose, too.

vlzvl

Arcane
Developer
dungeons-dragons-dungeon-tiles-huge-1-52f470a406cfa0958373146b60286110.jpg

Are you telling me those holes are not some spooky entrances to fantastic caves, full of wonders & exploration?

Last edited:

samsam

Educated
Probably one of those things that should get some public health warnings with the rise of smartphones
Squatting is even healthier than sitting. Helps with the bowel movement or something and beneficial in the long run.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Proverbs 26:11 As a dog returns to his vomit, so a German's attention returns to the topic of toilets.

The Red Knight

Erudite
I have to say I'm disappointed by how few toilets there are in Albion. Seems like all the design time was spent on furry ones:
yvqa8SD.png

wVaCkFg.png

kseQRJ8.png

sANTnZc.png

qSUwQf0.png

But even that only applies to German naturist catpeople. The ones living on the bigger continent with more cultural exchange with Celts forego toiletting.

zrxLVBj.png

Hard to say if it's a bath-filling bucket or the toilet one.

t5P2xnY.png

Druids might be using those to collect excrements to later dump into the unused dungeon. Would explain why the creatures living there are so angry.

sN9GaQU.png

qNuPGho.png

Only desert people seem to be technologically-advanced enough to be interested in poop management.

w0ARtmV.png

Even the enlightened peoples' luxury house has no proper bathroom. They possibly bathe in and poop into the giant lake-fountain they keep indoors, judging by water's color.

LLTgFYu.png

You can find their stools scattered outside, though.

AfLOaOt.png

I don't think the cabinet above the space toilet gets an explanation.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
South parks had mini-games associated with theirs. The only way you could improve on that would be to put in a dice roll mechanic for varying levels of bowel activities.
Whoops rolled a 2 looks like I'm gonna be a while.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Organic toilets have been done (in fiction), they could do do the same with magic & science in RPGs.

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
Eberron canonicly does have bathrooms with a magical cleaning device to clean your hands and everything else when you're done. Presumably it does clean the toilets themselves as well. Sadly both Eberron video games are set far away from civilization and didn't care much for the lore in the first place so this isn't exactly shown.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Eberron canonicly does have bathrooms with a magical cleaning device to clean your hands and everything else when you're done. Presumably it does clean the toilets themselves as well. Sadly both Eberron video games are set far away from civilization and didn't care much for the lore in the first place so this isn't exactly shown.

They made Eberron video games?

Silly Germans

They made Eberron video games?
There is a strategy game but it doesn't really make use of the setting. It plays a bit like a poor mans version of WC3 with simplified base building. It was ok back then but it hasn't aged gracefully in my opinion. It's not terrible nor good, so not worth a recommendation.
https://af.gog.com/game/dungeons_dragons_dragonshard?as=1649904300

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom