Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Most underrated RPGs on the Codex

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
The most underrated RPG on the Codex is Jagged Alliance 2.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Didn't work for me.

Then you did something wrong, because TB combat works just fine. It might have been that the enemies were too far away, in that case RT mode stays on.

And yeah, my first impression of Wizards & Warriors wasn't good either. When it first came out, I dropped it after a few hours in. It was only recently that I gave it another chance and it turned out pretty great in its own way actually.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Arx Fatalis deserves A LOT more love.

Legend of Grimrock II not being on the Top 101 was a crime. The Codex in general doesn't seem to like RT blobbers much I guess, Eye of the Beholder 1 & 2 also didn't make the Top 101.

And roguelikes like Tales of Maj'Eyal, Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup and Star Traders: Frontiers also never got much love.

ManaJunkie

Arbiter
There is a lot that does not get the recognition it deserves.

Dragon Wars, Arx Fatalis. Siege of avalon is barely mentioned. In no way a masterpiece but definitely worth a look
A blind playthrough of the ROA trilogy should be mandatory for everyone. In my opinion the second part is one of the best role-playing games of the dos era

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
To copy my post from another thread:

In my opinion Battlespire is one of the most underrated RPGs ever made. I believe that most people got put off by the fact it wasnt a open world game like other TES games but a pure dungeon crawler, what also didnt help with reviewers and players was lots of bugs. But the game has its share of good points with good level design, interesting characters and great atmosphere and soundtrack.

What made the game unique was the possibility to talk with every single enemy in the game. You could manipulate them into helping you, trick them to let you pass, or just get mocked by creatures that think you are nothing more then a inferior animal with sole purpose to be hunted for sport.

So despite all of its faults, I personally love this game but I understand why many people do not.

Kliwer

Savant
Could be wrong here, but I definitely don't see people talk about Isles of Terra enough, anywhere. It's truly a gem. It is definitely from a well-known series, but most things on the internet talk about how M&M 1-5 are too difficult to get into for a modern gamer, which just is not true. I actually think that M&M3 is more accessible than M&M6 which is where people usually say to start.

MM3 has also much better map design than WoX. Better usage of exploration skills, some minor but cool features (recruitable NPCs, climatic descriptions of the location). I like both titles, but the MM3 seems more polished and smoother to me. I also like the graphics in IoT a bit more.

Kliwer

Savant
In addition, there are many classic games that are hardly discussed. Not all of them are perfect, but they are really worth paying attention to. Among others:

Amberstar and Ambermoon. I have only played the first title, but (despite its flaws) it's one of the best cRPG I've ever played.

Fate: Gates of Dawn. The game is hard to enjoy, but has an amazing scale and tons of unique features.

There are also some less popular games that deserve attention, such as The Quest. I also see a complete disregard for very good free games: Battle for Wesnoth, Hale RPG, Hearkenwold.

mk0

Learned
Having just finished my playthrough of it earlier this week, I'd say that Arx Fatalis isn't underrated, the game just isn't that great, it's a mixed bag at best.
There are games ranked lower on the Top 101 RPGs list that I'd much rather play than Arx.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Could be wrong here, but I definitely don't see people talk about Isles of Terra enough, anywhere. It's truly a gem. It is definitely from a well-known series, but most things on the internet talk about how M&M 1-5 are too difficult to get into for a modern gamer, which just is not true. I actually think that M&M3 is more accessible than M&M6 which is where people usually say to start.

I usually shill for World of Xeen but it's similar enough to Isles of Terra to almost be the same thing :M

It's one of the most accessible, if not THE most accessible DOS RPG. Super smooth interface, everything is intuitive. Great gameplay loop too.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Inquisitor was made by a grim Eastern Europeans for a decade, just like The Age Of Decadence, features a several books worth of text, just like The Age Of Decadence, have even better (though outdated) 2D isometric sprite graphics, yet virtually no one ever heard of it, even on Codex. Probably because there is no COOL TURN-BASED COMBAT, only stupid Diablo-like clicking. Or maybe because it is not that good in the end.

Anyway, it's on eternal sale for a $1 on Steam, lol.

P.S. If I remember correctly Vault Dweller wanted to do the inquisition-themed game after Colony Ship. This is the only existing example of this afaik.

ss_11f0f61c39d4aa23baa392a03d809ffa558b3d36.1920x1080.jpg

ss_cd9734b8bdc7910ce0f5fd38443fa9fab858f8e2.1920x1080.jpg

8762590c8146105494e424204f97b230.jpg

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Inquisitor was made by a grim Eastern Europeans for a decade, just like The Age Of Decadence, features a several books worth of text, just like The Age Of Decadence, have even better (though outdated) 2D isometric sprite graphics, yet virtually no one ever heard of it, even on Codex. Probably because there is no COOL TURN-BASED COMBAT, only stupid Diablo-like clicking.

I played this. I loved the setting and the investigation quests, but the dungeon crawling was a pain. I thought I'd be doing more inquisiting and exorcising demons. Instead I spent hours crawling through orc caves, and the difficulty was way too high so I had to kite every enemy and swallow a shitload of potions. Utterly tedious. Sad.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Inquisitor was made by a grim Eastern Europeans for a decade, just like The Age Of Decadence, features a several books worth of text, just like The Age Of Decadence, have even better (though outdated) 2D isometric sprite graphics, yet virtually no one ever heard of it, even on Codex. Probably because there is no COOL TURN-BASED COMBAT, only stupid Diablo-like clicking.

I played this. I loved the setting and the investigation quests, but the dungeon crawling was a pain. I thought I'd be doing more inquisiting and exorcising demons. Instead I spent hours crawling through orc caves, and the difficulty was way too high so I had to kite every enemy and swallow a shitload of potions. Utterly tedious. Sad.

Agreed. This is so stupid and tragic, creating something for 10 years (1999-2009), spend three more years translating it to English (2009-2012), another year to get it on Steam, and forgot somewhere in the process to make gameplay decent. But the setting and style is extremely good, maybe it is possible to cheat it through stupid combat, I don't know...

Anyway, I thought stupid dungeon crawling is highly regarded on Codex, and games with many text are VISUAL NOVELS, so I don't get it, why Inquisitor is so obscure here (nah, of course I get it, it is fucking broken).

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign

Inquisitor could've been a timeless classic. The game is gorgeous, but unfortunately also the very definition of repetitive gameplay. Hell, even its 3 hubs play out 100% identical
Hear rumours about heresy, investigate heresy, torture suspect, omg plottwist I totally did not see this coming rinse and repeat.
I would recommend the game if you play as a priest and stop when you get to the orc caves. You won't miss anything going beyond this point and you will retain your sanity.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Knights of the Chalice
Temple of Elemental Evil
Pool of Radiance (1988)
Might and Magic: World of Xeen
Wizardry 8
enjoy

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom