Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best way to play Baldur's Gate

What is the best way to play Baldur's Gate for the first time?

• Play the original without any mods

• Big World Project

• BG: Enhanced Edition

• Something else (see post)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Unneeded, casual feature.
Yeah, quick loot is casual af. In case of IWD it probably makes playthrough like 10h shorter.
Makes game too easy. 6 Sorcerers.
If you're suffering from from everyone's favorite complete developmental disorder then everything will make the game too easy. If you're not, then it can make game harder or even, god forbid and save us all, more fun. Plus, it's a moot point, creating a full party was always an option.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Yeah, quick loot is casual af. In case of IWD it probably makes playthrough like 10h shorter.

Only if you're the kind of idiot that compulsively needs to pick up everything.

If you're suffering from from everyone's favorite complete developmental disorder then everything will make the game too easy. If you're not, then it can make game harder or even, god forbid and save us all, more fun.

For the vast majority of players, full party creation makes the game easier. BG has long tradition of power-gaming, not the opposite. I don't like built in degenerate features that make the game easier, even if they're optional. These include party arbitration, Max HPs on level up and 100% spell scribing.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum

Only if you're the kind of idiot that compulsively needs to pick up everything.

If you're suffering from from everyone's favorite complete developmental disorder then everything will make the game too easy. If you're not, then it can make game harder or even, god forbid and save us all, more fun.

For the vast majority of players, full party creation makes the game easier. BG has long tradition of power-gaming, not the opposite. I don't like built in degenerate features that make the game easier, even if they're optional. These include party arbitration, Max HPs on level up, 100% spell scribing and Max HPs on level up.

At least I know you're an EE shill and a degenerate now.

So you're in favour of removing the Fighter class as a playable option in BG? Since it's basically Easy Mode as compared to most others? So it's an in-built degenerate feature?

Pretending that the IE games, or any other RPG games at the time, were in any way, shape or form balanced. Give me a break. The intellectual dishonesty on display here is almost pitiable.

Generic-Giant-Spider

You know how you're encouraged to buy games to show support to the developers and want them to make more in the future?

Well Beamdog is very unique because you're paying money to a game development studio that does not actually make games. LOL

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Yeah, what kind of idiot would like to pick up loot in crpgs, especially the casual way:lol:

For the vast majority of players, full party creation makes the game easier. BG has long tradition of power-gaming, not the opposite. I don't like built in degenerate features that make the game easier, even if they're optional. These include party arbitration, Max HPs on level up and 100% spell scribing.

Seems you are an EE shill, too.
BG is a simplistic, accessible crpg with extremely basic char building. Long tradition of powergaming, lol. And what are you even talking about, that stuff was all optional/toggle in the original as well.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Honest, un-ironic question to Codexers here - is Lilura mentally ill? The way he keeps repeating the same points, year after year, over and over, whilst ignoring any arguments to the contrary, seems really odd. It's similar to people suffering from autism - the real one, not the meme.

EDIT: I'm asking not out of malice. If it's true and he is mentally handicapped, I will make an effort to be kinder to him. Being an asshole towards other assholes vs getting into arguments with people who can't control their faculties are two different things.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Fuck's wrong witchu, boah?

Nothing, I hope. I like BG2 and IWD. Think PST is great experience for one "play"through. Found BG1 and IWD2 mostly not all that and skippable in hindsight.

Icewind Dale II suffers from a big case of cut content. It's the only IE game I was actively hoping would get the EE treatment, since maybe then Beamdog would be able to restore it. As far as I remember when talking to Josh, halfway through the game you could completely change sides. Several areas were completely cut, as did a lot of quests and reactivity.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I like BG2 and IWD. Think PST is great experience for one "play"through. Found BG1 and IWD2 mostly not all that and skippable in hindsight.

BG is the greatest D&D-based RPG ever made, and the 4th greatest RPG of all-time. IWD2 is about equal to IWD, though it depends on the rating criteria.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Honest, un-ironic question to Codexers here - is Lilura mentally ill? The way he keeps repeating the same points, year after year, over and over, whilst ignoring any arguments to the contrary, seems really odd. It's similar to people suffering from autism - the real one, not the meme.

EDIT: I'm asking not out of malice. If it's true and he is mentally handicapped, I will make an effort to be kinder to him. Being an asshole towards other assholes vs getting into arguments with people who can't control their faculties are two different things.

Very likely somewhat higher on the Asperger spectrum than the average codexer, and nothing else, wether you consider that mentally handicapped is a political question.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum

Very likely somewhat higher on the Asperger spectrum than the average codexer, and nothing else, wether you consider that mentally handicapped is a political question.

I'm leaning towards autism more, since over the years I've noticed that all his arguments are rote - he repeats the same things, over and over, and those things are barely arguments - just "X is <insert adjective>, if you believe that X is Y, you are <insert adjective>". It's like a broken mind that has memorised some phrases, and holds onto them for dear life as responses to anything and everything.

And if he encounters something that doesn't fit his schematics, he pretends it doesn't exist.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Lilura is a really good poster and has great knowledge on CRPGs from the '90s-mid 2000s as THE BLOG can attest to. Even if I fucking hated Lilura I couldn't deny that the blog is an insanely great read through if you've ever loved the "Renaissance era" of RPGs.

https://lilura1.blogspot.com/2020/07/Is-Neverwinter-Nights-1-or-2-better.html

Lilura also holds the same thought I do about NWN1 vs. NWN2 and that is NWN1 > NWN2 due to the sheer strength of the fan created modules over the years. I said it in another topic, NWN2 would've been great under a different name since it focused much more on delivering a good OC while the creation aspect NWN was heavily promoted on fell by the wayside and NWN2 ultimately suffered due to it.

Thal

Prophet
BG:EE fucks up the experience by using BG2s classes, spells and weapon proficiency system, despite the fact that BG1 was designed and balanced for its own system. This reason alone is enough to favour the original. For the ultimate experience, don't save scum. The game is designed this approach in mind as well, which makes trash mobs, waylays, rest spawns and traps meaningful.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum

Lilura is a really good poster and has great knowledge on CRPGs from the '90s-mid 2000s as THE BLOG can attest to. Even if I fucking hated Lilura I couldn't deny that the blog is an insanely great read through if you've ever loved the "Renaissance era" of RPGs.

https://lilura1.blogspot.com/2020/07/Is-Neverwinter-Nights-1-or-2-better.html

Lilura also holds the same thought I do about NWN1 vs. NWN2 and that is NWN1 > NWN2 due to the sheer strength of the fan created modules over the years. I said it in another topic, NWN2 would've been great under a different name since it focused much more on delivering a good OC while the creation aspect NWN was heavily promoted on fell by the wayside and NWN2 ultimately suffered due to it.

I'm not denying knowledge or lack thereof, but the behaviour I've observed over the years leads me to believe he is mentally unsound. See my observations above. I'm not the nicest person on the planet, but I'd hate to go against someone who clearly can't control themselves.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
BG:EE fucks up the experience by using BG2s classes, spells and weapon proficiency system, despite the fact that BG1 was designed and balanced for its own system. This reason alone is enough to favour the original. For the ultimate experience, don't save scum. The game is designed this approach in mind as well, which makes trash mobs, waylays, rest spawns and traps meaningful.

Sorry, but BG, neither vanilla nor EE, are not balanced in any way, shape or form. As mentioned above, just by picking Fighter you're already playing Easy Mode, whilst playing something like Bard is the exact opposite.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm leaning towards autism more, since over the years I've noticed that all his arguments are rote - he repeats the same things, over and over, and those things are barely arguments - just "X is <insert adjective>, if you believe that X is Y, you are <insert adjective>". It's like a broken mind that has memorised some phrases, and holds onto them for dear life as responses to anything and everything.

And if he encounters something that doesn't fit his schematics, he pretends it doesn't exist.

Dude the asperger spectrum IS autism. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome
It is the "normal" autism where you can still form normal sentences.
From your first posts I considered you to be smarter...

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum

Dude the asperger spectrum IS autism. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome
It is the "normal" autism where you can still form normal sentences.
From your first posts I considered you to be smarter...

I'm just dubious about whether Asperger Syndrome is an actual medical condition, or just "medically naming character traits."

Generic-Giant-Spider

but the behaviour I've observed over the years leads me to believe he is mentally unsound.

We play RPGs from Gold/Silver Box era to current day. We're all deeply disturbed in some way.

LOOK AT ME.

I USED TO BE A MAN, HEDGE.

A MAN.

NOW WHAT THE FUCK AM I.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I said it's too late because the original BG has aged terribly. It was cool awsame back in a day, but nowadays it could be as far from that as possible. Or maybe I'm wrong and I'm tainted by the mods, EE and the seconds game engine. If you don't have any experience with IE games than play vanilla and forget about NPC Project.

If you have played BG2 or IWD 2, or any of the EEs, than just play BGEE with the newest patch. EE changes some things significantly, but for the veterans if offers so many conviniences, many of which are not avaible through the mods, that going back is difficult.

BTW, are there any mods for BG1 that add more weapon types, so the specialization system from the 2nd game doesn't mess with itemization so much? Nothing crazy, just to give some options. I'd recommend installing something like that.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
but the behaviour I've observed over the years leads me to believe he is mentally unsound.

We play RPGs from Gold/Silver Box era to current day. We're all deeply disturbed in some way.

LOOK AT ME.

I USED TO BE A MAN, HEDGE.

A MAN.

NOW WHAT THE FUCK AM I.

You have eight limbs, so you have an advantage in gaming. I'm jealous.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom