Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Saravan

Savant
and people have repeatedly tried to intimidate those who don't like where this game is going into stopping to participate.

Please prove that. I have been following it too, and claiming that anyone was intimidating anybody else over an unreleased VIDEO GAME is asinine to the point of ludicrous. Bad troll at this point.

There has absolutely been intimidation. I have received a lot of private messages. Including Krispy who gave me a stern warning. Infinitron (turn based fanatic, constantly shows his bias for it over rtwp) banned me from participating in this thread because I spoke against a turn based game, which we all know he loves. He has also attached tags to my name to try to minimize what I say in the eyes of the people. All this because he's a Larian cultist, and use bias towards anything tb. That's a prime example of intimidating people into silence.

You fanboy fuckers even invaded the BG3-hate thread (which shouldn't exist in the first place) and downvote every "BG3-hater" there.

It's a great and valid thread. Not sure what you mean by this. But they absolutely TRIED to invade it. They can't have people say anything against their precious cult leader and his private studio. Even when it's easily out of their sight.

Why pay money for making a game in certain setting, when they could make game in theirs own setting for free?

Because they realized that it sucked. Passionate people don't spend some 15 years making their own universe only to drop it the second someone offers them a different one. Swen practically begged them for the chance to work on bg3 and Mike mearls was stupid enough to let him. Imagine developing a world for that long and then dropping it. If swen can't even maintain his own world and make it something he's proud and passionate about, why would you trust him with a different one. Imagine dropping something you've been working on for that long. Swen is spineless and has zero passion. He has no faith in his own product, yet his cultists will defend it until the end of time.

What do you expect? You keep spamming the same shit over and over again and then come back crying because the mod got tired of your spamming and banned you, temporarily clearly, since you are back here with the same broken record.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I think we should move the discussion to the Baldur's Gate 3 sex thread, there should be one by now.
That topic was already discussed and the gist was - the gith is surprisingly fuckable for some people, gay vampires lel, Shadowheart is cute (she is), BG2 had weird implications (Aerie is a child, Jaheira is your grieving aunt, Viconia is the only patrician choice).

Vatnik Wumao
I think we should move the discussion to the Baldur's Gate 3 sex thread, there should be one by now.
That topic was already discussed and the gist was - the gith is surprisingly fuckable for some people, gay vampires lel, Shadowheart is cute (she is), BG2 had weird implications (Aerie is a child, Jaheira is your grieving aunt, Viconia is the only patrician choice).
The topic of your aforementioned tabletop-related romantic adventures, you tease. :M

Lilliput McHammersmith

Shit I didn't even think about that concept. I know--unrelated--but a Githyanki that has a Mindflayer tadpole in her brain. That is freaking sweet concept. :bounce:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Shit I didn't even think about that concept. I know--unrelated--but a Githyanki that has a Mindflayer tadpole in her brain. That is freaking sweet concept. :bounce:
She is literally green. Green is not a fuckable color. Sick people, vomit and insects are green.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
We then went to a bar and almost hooked up but that's besides the point.
Since we are reliving through the same arguments again and again, I guess you could go into details to spice things up a bit in this topic.
It's not that spicy. Well, it is but I don't want to tell the story in detail. We went to his place and he proposed getting intimate in a specific way (not sex), but I refused because I don't do any of that on first dates. We did get physical (not sex) on the third one though, which is uncharacteristic of me. A friend of mine plays in his group now, and I passionately wish I could be there too, but alas life is suffering.

To connect this to the topic lest the jewbot gets angry - BG3 is a game that exists and we are talking about it right now in this very thread.

We can go with this one with a broad interpretation of the word "love": https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/baldurs-gate-3-love-thread.132127/
Y'all debaucherous Slaaneshi worshipers disgust me.
I just want an irl group of hazard stripe paintainig connoisseurs to play Wh40k tabletop RPGs with.
1529531365372.png
Ivan,get your granda's vineyard spraying machine,i will get the oil and lets go cleanse some gypsy katun!

Lacrymas

Arcane
The topic of your aforementioned tabletop-related romantic adventures, you tease. :M
Oh, I have plenty of those. That wood elf basically subsisted on fellatio alone, but she had like 9 CHA and rolled above a 10 on her seduction checks like once. That didn't stop her from ...extracting her desires from her human bard party member while he was asleep. Or that time where the innkeeper seduced her and was into weird armpit sex, but then tried to kill her to claim the bounty due to her previous misadventure with the mayor and his kink paraphernalia, so they ended up running naked around town while jumping through windows and shit before deciding they'd be a great couple after she tied him to the bed.

Vatnik Wumao
Oh, I have plenty of those. That wood elf basically subsisted on fellatio alone, but she had like 9 CHA and rolled above a 10 on her seduction checks like once. That didn't stop her from ...extracting her desires from her human bard party member while he was asleep. Or that time where the innkeeper seduced her and was into weird armpit sex, but then tried to kill her to claim the bounty due to her previous misadventure with the mayor and his kink paraphernalia, so they ended up running naked around town while jumping through windows and shit before deciding they'd be a great couple after she tied him to the bed.
Not that sort of tabletop-related, you double tease.

jackofshadows

Magister
Fuck, that sounds exciting, maybe I should search some D&D action after all... Just with a bit more females.

Yosharian

Arcane
I didn’t know that levels of this retarded were possible. Infinitron can we intimidate him more, please? Apparently you are a tyrant oppressor.

Hopefully when the Early Access comes out next month, all of these weirdos will be intimidated away by the sight of people actually playing the game.

It reminds me, one of the earliest threads I remember from back when I joined the Codex was for the then-recently released Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which was called something like "The I Am Actually Playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution Thread". Presumably because there was a previous thread that was filled with this same sort of nonsense.

It's a problem whenever these sorts of long-awaited sequels and spiritual successors occur. A lot of discussion that centers more around the idea that the game even exists, and how that makes the poster feel, than the actual game itself.
To be fair to your specific example though, DE:HR was hyped a lot, and it was kind of a miracle that it turned out to be as good as it was

A bit of pushback was not entirely unwarranted

Lacrymas

Arcane
Fuck, that sounds exciting, maybe I should search some D&D action after all... Just with a bit more females.
It's very exciting and fun, it's the most fun I've had in a very long time. People who like video games as much as on this forum are doing themselves a disservice by not playing PnP too. And yes, women play with us too. Imagination is universally appealing.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

They've been very strict about issuing keys IIRC. D:OS2 is never sold on any third-party sites other than Steam and GOG, not even on Humble Store. Now BG3 has no KS backer there will be no keys at all. (Unless they decide to release boxed version I guess.)

Harthwain

Magister
My point is that I very much doubt it's that popular. It's not like video games which were considered for fat nerds at best but then the dudebros discovered Halo or whatever and now the industry is terrible. It's still a niche thing.
It's a niche of a niche (more people are likely to play DnD-based video games than there are to play DnD tabletop). Also, you forget one thing: convenience. Playing by computer allows you to bypass the requirement of having to be somewhere on time. This is great for people who would like to play, but can't be arsed to due to how time-consuming it is for them to reach the point of convergence (when one-way trip takes 90 minutes or so).

And when there are no video game adaptations of boardgames (by the way, A Game of Thrones: The Board Game is getting a digital edition) there is still stuff like Tabletop Simulator.

It's a bit of a shame that Neverwinter Nights' attempt to "recreate, as accurately as possible, the feel and play style of pen and paper (or PnP) roleplaying, Dungeon Master included, on the PC" didn't really become a thing enough to spawn more tabletop-like video games (although Divinity: Original Sin did pick up on the idea of Dungeon Master).

Saravan

Savant
I hope when the game finally releases a new thread is made and the old one goes directly into retardoland.

Yeah, 701 pages and the game hasn't even reached EA-stage. Mostly a collection of unsubstantiated speculation, memes and shitposting. This forum acts all prestigious but I have only seen a handful here that are capable of formulating thoughts not bogged down into the equivalent of an American refusing to wear a mask because it "stops the oxygen intake".

By the way this forum is exactly as reddit you only replaced downvotes with butthurt people spamming retarded rating on everyone they disagree with.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I hope when the game finally releases a new thread is made and the old one goes directly into retardoland.

Yeah, 701 pages and the game hasn't even reached EA-stage. Mostly a collection of unsubstantiated speculation, memes and shitposting. This forum acts all prestigious but I have only seen a handful here that are capable of formulating thoughts not bogged down into the equivalent of an American refusing to wear a mask because it "stops the oxygen intake".

By the way this forum is exactly as reddit you only replaced downvotes with butthurt people spamming retarded rating on everyone they disagree with.

Where I give this forum a leg up is that you can see who rated you. To me a rating by someone whose judgement I value has a lot more weight than the usual rating by someone with a dumbfuck tag (excluding a few good Dumbfucks!!!)
The percentage of high value posters and low value posters is the same all across the internet, but due to avatars and open ratings you can see who is who more clearly here.

Saravan

Savant

Where I give this forum a leg up is that you can see who rated you. To me a rating by someone whose judgement I value has a lot more weight than the usual rating by someone with a dumbfuck tag (excluding a few good Dumbfucks!!!)
The percentage of high value posters and low value posters is the same all across the internet, but due to avatars and open ratings you can see who is who more clearly here.

I'll give you that, that's true.

I'm not however particularly impressed with this site.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Part two:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...might-not-cap-player-levels-to-ten-after-all/

Baldur's Gate 3 might not cap player levels to ten after all

Baldur’s Gate 3 will probably be here next month, and it’s still unclear where it will land on the critical issue of a level cap.

Developers Larian previously stated in a Reddit AMA that their upcoming sequel will cover levels one to ten, but in our recent interview, lead systems designer Nick Pechenin said that this isn’t certain, as they’re still weighing it up.

Like its predecessors, Baldur’s Gate 3 is based on the same rules that govern Dungeons & Dragons, the far out tabletop game invented in 1982 by Tom Hanks. But those rules have changed dramatically in the 20 years since Baldur’s Gate 2. There was never a single clear answer to the levels question, but allowing players to run all the way from one to 20 was never realistic. As Pechenin explained to Video Matthew: “it’s a massive, massive amount of things to come up with and the higher you go in levels, the harder it gets”.

Though initially fragile, player characters become near demigods at 20, which makes balancing raw numbers even more difficult than a typical RPG. Narrowing the range means that a more satisfactory experience can be built within that range, as well as making life easier for Larian. As Pechenin says: “You get to spend a bit more time on every level, this means the content that we have – the situations, the combat – they can be tailored a lot more specifically to what we expect the player to have at this moment”.

It’s not just a numbers problem. Any tabletop fan will tell you that they’ll always outdo video games with their room for negotiation, improv, bending the rules, and generally simulating and accounting for anything a set of laws can’t. The higher a player’s level gets, the more access they get to open-ended or abstract abilities. “You get closer to spells like Wish [a high-level spell whose limits and consequences are defined by the whims of the DM running the game, and can be ironic], where you go, like, ‘what do we do? Do we accept emails from people with their wishes and quickly patch the game?’ So we have to do a lot more thinking about what would be exciting and reasonable things that a DM would let you do with these kind of spells and high level creative features that classes get.”

If you’re not familiar with The Dungeons And The Dragons, ten sounds like a very low cap for an RPG. It’s actually the exact middle, as the tabletop rules treat level 20 as the end point for player progression. Even then, it’s uncommon to take a character that far. Most campaigns are ready to tap out many levels before then, and a game that covered the full range would have to be extremely long. There’ll likely be disappointment whatever Larian go with, not least as some classes really hit their stride later on, and level 11 specifically is a notable power bump for many. But a sub-20 cap is near inevitable. Exactly where it’ll land though remains to be seen.

Disclosure: Former RPS deputy editor Adam Smith is a senior writer at Larian studios working on Baldur’s Gate 3. He edited much of my freelance work, and I can’t remember which way round but one of us probably bought the other a drink the one time we met in person. I would normally add an insult here but it seems less funny now that he can’t fire me.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChildInTime

Learned
Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom