Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grounded - shrunken kids first-person co-op survival game from Obsidian

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
Does Sawyer have any friends?
Like a guy he hangs with after work? Like sit on a beach, drink beer? Talk about life and wymins or in Soys case bicycles?

Duraframe300

Arcane
it's mostly positive now
incline.png

It has now went up from around 64% mixed reviews aftter the first day to 80% and *Very positive* User reviews on Steam's scale.

Honestly, I thought it would bomb horrendously. Back when it was first teased it looked like shit + the genre fatigue. But I suppose the uniqueness of the setting and being playable out of the box made quite a bit of difference, esp considering how dogshit most of the survival games really are (in terms of execution). Good for them.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I just heard of this. What's the Codex tl;dr?

Looks like it could be fun with a few friends. Seems there aren't enough goals to be worth playing as anything other than a sandbox currently.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
bhcrVvw.png

IGN reviewed Grounded and clearly a lot of people didn't appreciate it going by the like/dislike ratio.

zrMIr2L.png

I agree with this IGN fruit, whoever he is. And I just do not understand what the matter is with some of my fellow gamers here. What don't they get. Yeah, goddammit, if a developer/publisher is charging money for a game, whatever state it's in, then how is it not fair for it to be reviewed, whatever state it's in? A 6 out of 10 has to be more than fair anyway, generous as shit, for just about anything that just came out in 'early access,' non?

People seem to be having issues with differentiating between what a game's supposed to be 2 years from now, whatever they think it's supposed to be, whatever their fantasy is, and what it actually is *right now.* What they're actually spending money on *right now.* You're not buying the dream, you're buying the piece of shit. Feels like it comes from the same arena like thinking you 'saved money' when you bought something on sale. I mean, no, you didn't save any money, you just spent some. Maybe not quite the same arena, but there's some weird thinking going on there that's for sure.

IGN saving gamers from themselves, I can't believe it, way to go!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Interviews with Brennecke.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Nah, IGN didn't get money from Microsoft. No reason to pay game journo if you can pay streamers that are more accepted by zoomers than game journo. They are just mad and decided to complain.

Especially now that its just in early access. Clickbait is more attractive.

Watch the game get re-reviewed ASAP if Microsoft decides to moneyhat reviewers.

Also Ovplain what are they exactly reviewing. ATM focus was on a good sandbox with good survival mechanics (if you like that sort of thing, which I doubt anyone here is).
And it does have that otherwise Streamers and User Reviews would be lamenting. The interest of an average codexer would probably be 3/10 at best.

So let's grab out that old Obsidian meme.

GOOD FOR WHAT IT IS

Last edited:

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Nah, IGN didn't get money from Microsoft. No reason to pay game journo if you can pay streamers that are more accepted by zoomers than game journo. They are just mad and decided to complain.

Especially now that its just in early access.

It is still being sold. For money. Stop saying, 'it's just in early access.' Like it's *just* a free beta, or *just* a free demo. It's 30 bucks on Steam! It's *just* a 30 dollar game. And should be reviewed as such.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Especially now that its just in early access.

It is still being sold. For money. Stop saying, 'it's just in early access.' Like it's *just* a free beta, or *just* a free demo. It's 30 bucks on Steam! It's *just* a 30 dollar game. And should be reviewed as such.

Yeah? Did I say anything else or even anything pertaining to that matter? WTF are you even accusing me off when its obviously not meant that way? Why the fuck are you not quoting the whole thing and what I replied to?

Especially now that its just in early access. Clickbait is more attractive.

Watch the game get re-reviewed ASAP if Microsoft decides to moneyhat reviewers.

My points

- It's clickbait because IGN just hasn't been paid off yet and going controversial by reviewers gets you clicks
- For early access titles streamers mean more than reviews. Which was obvious by Steam sales and is currently obvious with that Fall Guy twitch game which has tons of issues and shit controls, but somehow still sells like hotcakes.
- Watch the game get re-reviewed ASAP if Microsoft decides to moneyhat reviewers.

As soon as full release nears and they get paid off watch the game get re-reviewed ASAP. Same thing happened to Sea of Thieves (also by Microsoft) and other such titles.

If your complaint is simply that 30 Dollars is too fucking much for an early access title and it doesn't justify the price?
Yes. Agree 100%, Never said anything different and its why I'm not going anywhere near buying this game till release.
Doesn't make the review any less dumb though, because again what are they reviewing to begin with and by what metric in that stupid scale.

Just slap a big fat red *NOT RECOMMENDED YET* sticker on it, write its because of the price and list the current complaints and I'd love that review.
I'm not however going to fucking respect IGN being their usual bullshit selves and go for clickbait to get views and afterwards *re-review* it when they get their money. Fuck that.

Edit: BTW: To clear it up. *Just* was referring to that at the moment getting clickbait clicks by twitch viewers is the more interesting alternative to already demanding money for a review (when you can get more later). Which is why that second sentence and the quote was kinda important.

Last edited:

Flou

Arbiter

It's also available on GamePass for free if you subscribe which costs 5,99 a month? I think first and foremost, the game is made for GamePass. If people are willing to pay for it on Steam, rather than get it via GamePass then that's their choice or fault. You are not going to put a full fledged game even in it's early access state to be sold cheaper than that 30 bucks.

And if you are Microsoft, you don't want to limit the game to GamePass alone as you've just put everything else on Steam. It would just create negative press around the game.

The Finnish gaming magazine I read never reviews early access games with a score. They will write up a written review but will only give a score to the game when it's either really old and still not "fully ready" or when it's officially out of early access. To me, that's always seem like a fair thing to do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom