Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Sorry, but I consider Horrid Wilting a high level spell. I don't consider only when your mage is above lv 18 a high level. IMO 1~7 = low level. 8~15 = mid level and 16 and above, high level. Note that thieves can reach lv 23 on OC... Which is epic level. so yes, IMO SoA is mid to high level. And ToB is high to epic level.
You hit that high level at the end and the part of BG2 that everyone enjoys the most is chapter 2, which is firmly mid-level. :M

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Sorry, but I consider Horrid Wilting a high level spell. I don't consider only when your mage is above lv 18 a high level. IMO 1~7 = low level. 8~15 = mid level and 16 and above, high level. Note that thieves can reach lv 23 on OC... Which is epic level. so yes, IMO SoA is mid to high level. And ToB is high to epic level.
You hit that high level at the end and the part of BG2 that everyone enjoys the most is chapter 2, which is firmly mid-level. :M

People enjoy more chapter 2 and 6 because this chapters gives more freedom and optional content. Not due level.

On PFKM, people enjoy far more the third chapter and forward. I Which is when the game becomes more mid level. The hate that the final chapter and final optional chapter received has nothing to do with level. House at edge of the time would be a nightmare at lv 1 or 20.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think that tn retrospect, the D:OS 2 Kickstarter did underperform for a game that turned out to be so incredibly popular when it was released. It did better than the first game's Kickstarter, but I think there was also a countervailing trend of people not being that interested in crowdfunding a straight sequel, and assuming that Larian didn't really need the money. For example, I remember that Bubbles didn't pledge to it and there must have been others like him.

For maximum Kickstarter $$$, you probably want to have both a strong reputation (which Larian didn't quite have when they Kickstarted the first game) and a fresh idea (which they didn't have for the second).

Shrimp

Arbiter
Everyone I know who pledged for DOS2's kickstarter said they just did it because they could get the game at a reduced price. I believe it was the €20 reward.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
After they raising so much money, would they include a option to create my own character?

Yep. However, DOS1 received a lot of praise by game journalists din't launched bugged, and was on consoles.

Larian also has a much longer history and make tons of games.

Sorry that English was a bit too broken, I dont understand what you are getting at.
Those guys arent no-name devs, they made Suikuden, one of those dozens of revered series that got killed by Konami 15 years ago when they decided that gambling machines give them more profit than video games.

Anyway this was mostly to juxtapose that Kickstarter has just become a bigger platform in general.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/310218/total-kickstarter-funding/
Comparing Kickstarter projects from vastly different timeframes is not necessary fruitfull.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Lmfao at anti Larian and Pathfinder incels trying to fight the Larian GIGA CHADZ!

PF backers: 35000
DOS2 backers: 42700

Metacritic:
PF: 73 (L M F A O, not even in the 80's, what a fucking joke franchise)
DOS2: 93

"Bu..bu..critical score donttt count REEE"

Let's look at what users think;

Steam:

kUkbvml.png

lEevQdT.png

Article form 2018:

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Generated $85M in Revenue

https://wccftech.com/divinity-original-sin-2-85m-revenue-2017/

nQv66lI.png

LMFAO, fcking WOTC can thank the gods Larian is even willing to make a BG game and improve that archaic franchise to new heights!

BOW DOWN TO THE MASTER OF RPG's!

49xkqe.jpg

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Absolutely not. The game is a slow decline until you get to the house at the edge of time and hits a wall made of shit.

Did we played the same game? I loved each second playing it. Except by few parts which I din't liked.

As other guy said
Everyone I know who pledged for DOS2's kickstarter said they just did it because they could get the game at a reduced price. I believe it was the €20 reward.

He nailed the reason to why dos2 got more backers but still less money in total...

Metacritic:

Sorry, but game journalists liking a RPG franchise is a point AGAINST THE FRANCHISE. Not in favor. I even have a thread only about their crap reviews https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/game-journalists-crap-reviews.134178/#post-6831534

"many monsters and creatures require very specific tools to kill. Swarms of small creatures like rats, for instance, can't be effectively fought with a sword and shield."
https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/pathfinder-kingmaker-review-the-classics/1900-6417006

However, steam reviews are much better source and I agree. People who dislike DOS2 are a tiny minority(myself included). The best Larian game is IMO Divine Divinity. No cooldown, no gimmicky fights, no stat stickie itemization.

I don't expect that BG3 will be good as BG2, however, good as divine divinity is a possibility.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Absolutely not. The game is a slow decline until you get to the house at the edge of time and hits a wall made of shit.

Did we played the same game? I loved each second playing it. Except by few parts which I din't liked.

As other guy said

He nailed the reason to why dos2 got good reviews

Metacritic:

Sorry, but game journalists liking a RPG franchise is a point AGAINST THE FRANCHISE. Not in favor. I even have a thread only about their crap reviews https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/game-journalists-crap-reviews.134178/#post-6831534

"many monsters and creatures require very specific tools to kill. Swarms of small creatures like rats, for instance, can't be effectively fought with a sword and shield."
https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/pathfinder-kingmaker-review-the-classics/1900-6417006

However, steam reviews are much better source and I agree. People who dislike DOS2 are a tiny minority(myself included). The best Larian game is IMO Divine Divinity. No cooldown, no gimmicky fights, no stat stickie itemization.
tenor.gif

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

As other guy said

Metacritic:

tenor.gif

Coping... I agreed that people who prefer Kingmaker are a tiny minority. Just pointed out that Game "swords can't kill insect swarms 0/10" Journalists who can't pass cuphead tutorial aren't a good indicative of a game quality and pointed out that most people who prefer PFKM despite in smaller number, are willing to give more money than the dos2 fans. How many games like pfkm we have being launched? One in the entire last decade. Now games with a lot of modern ludonarrative dissonance? we have 666 launches every day.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter

As other guy said

Metacritic:

tenor.gif

Coping... I agreed that people who prefer Kingmaker are a tiny minority. Just pointed out that Game "swords can't kill insect swarms 0/10" Journalists who can't pass cuphead tutorial aren't a good indicative of a game quality and pointed out that most people who prefer PFKM despite in smaller number, are willing to give more money than the dos2 fans. How many games like pfkm we have being launched? One in the entire last decade. Now games with a lot of modern ludonarrative dissonance? we have 666 launches every day.
Gaming "journalists" and a lot of reviews are pure trash, I agree with you on that. And I like Pathfinder too

But DOS2 is GREAT even though it's not perfect but what game is?

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Also what kind of retard will complain about difficulty when you have like 30 difficulty options to twitch in mid gameplay?!
You would be surprised. As nice as it would be to ignore these people, they're the ones who leave reviews and spread their stupid opinions everywhere. They've probably convinced a ton of people to not try games because of the ignorant things they say. I have seen people complaining that the game being too hard while playing on hard.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I will buy the EA for all Codexers who show interest, just to spite that one member.

You're full of talk. There's no way you do this. It's easy to talk out of your ass though

No one likes Throne of Bhaal, Mask of the Betrayer is praised for writing but not combat, and Hordes of the Underdark has the advantage of being tuned for a single character plus two AI-controlled companions of their making (and only four possible after the first chapter) but would still likely brickwall most people who played the base campaign.

I enjoyed all of these and the combat in all of them. Even tob. The final boss was real good.

House at edge of the time would be a nightmare at lv 1 or 20.

Hoteot is the greatest final dungeon ever made. It requires you to know how to deal with every situation, you had to learn from the game and put it into practice. It's like a final exam that tests your knowledge. You need to deal with high level mages, invisible and sneak attacking enemies, high ac enemies, low Ac enemies but with lots of numbers,swarms, an enemy that summons and has high dex... There's a ton of diversity and most of the battles being repeated are optional and you only have to do it if you can't figure out the lantern puzzle. I see people complain about the lantern puzzle and I'm disappointed in them because that's a grade 6 puzzle. Most of the wild Hunt battles are optional so people shouldn't be complaining about having to deal with them too much. People complain because of difficulty, despite the people on the codex acting like they find nothing difficult after they go through a 200 page thread about op character building. Final dungeons should be difficult.

High level dnd in a video game is great. With table top, turns take too long and it gets complicated for a lot of people and can be off putting but video games keep track of and calculate and show all your options for you. Video games are the best opportunity to try out all the things you don't get to play with on table top. Playing pnp Pathfinder at a high level is honestly exhausting for me. The numbers get larger and the options get more complicated and varied. Video games are the best time to play high level. Also I want to slay multiple dragons at once. Like 5 of them

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Also what kind of retard will complain about difficulty when you have like 30 difficulty options to twitch in mid gameplay?!
You would be surprised. As nice as it would be to ignore these people, they're the ones who leave reviews and spread their stupid opinions everywhere. They've probably convinced a ton of people to not try games because of the ignorant things they say. I have seen people complaining that the game being too hard while playing on hard.

Some time ago, someone posted a thread complaing about permanent effects on PFKM(which can be turned off on difficulty menu) and the same reviewer praised Baldur's Gate 1. A game which you can find basilisks early on that can perma petrificate your party members and the stone to flesh can only be casted on scrolls and are insanely overpriced...

About Larian, I don't like dos2 but realize that is a amazing game for those who like modern rpg mechanics. While PFKM is amazing for those who like 90s/earlier 00s mechanics. Both games are great in appealing to his respective target audience. I an old school in every aspect of my life. Even in my job. Believe or not, my last Job was working with legacy systems written on Pascal(now I an unemployed). With Cars, I prefer old cars. With firearms, I prefer fire old firearms. I don't own firearms, but visited a lot of Firing ranges.

One thing which disappoints me, is that 5e is finally getting a proper adaptation, all other adaptations are mobile cashgrabs and failures like SCL. BG3 will happen most of the part on sword coast. And I really wish to see more. Visit elemental planes, abyss, lower dark, and other cool locations. Look to earlier 90s SSI games.
  • Games set on Dark Sun
  • Games set on realms of Dread(Barovia and the desert realm on stone prophet)
  • Games set in assaulting the Myth Drannor(Eye of the Beholder III)
  • Games set in the freaking space(Spelljammer: Pirates of Realmspace)
  • (...)
This is one of the reasons which I loved PFKM; The first world is threated with the well deserved respect. Sword Coast is ok, but why 99% of games are set on it?

High level dnd in a video game is great. With table top, turns take too long and it gets complicated for a lot of people and can be off putting but video games keep track of and calculate and show all your options for you.

Other problem is that the DM needs to be very good to challenge the party in a fun way. 3.5e high level is so boring to DM that my old group had to made a "dm queue" and each week, one guy DM the game.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Other thing that I really wish that Larian will NOT do on BG3 is gimmicky battles. Like Melissan and Sendai. I HATE it. Let me fight enemies under the same rules as my character is. Gimmicky bosses are the worst BS not only on BG franchise. The reason to why i re played DS2 far more than DS1 is Bed of Chaos and the reason to why I re played far more SoA than ToB is it. Note that Sendai is not subjected to the same BS only 5 summon limit. And she keeps teleporting all around the map. She seems to have UNLIMITED SPELL SLOTS too. When I tried to solo ToB, I had to use 150k gold on magical scrolls. I even lowered the difficulty from insane to normal. She also goes from near dead to full healtg and teleports with no way to interrupt. I counted and she teleported 72 times on my last battle and healed with no casting time and interruption possibility 16 times. Only on final stage, after the 6 statues got destroyed. Everything that she summons is high level and high magical resistant. So is a waste of time to use spells on her. The best strategy is to use as a necromancer is to cast stoneskin, black blade of disaster, tenser transformation and summon Efreets, not to damage her but to serve as a distraction. Her AI is too dumb and some times, she casts high level fire magic on your Efreets.

One thing that i really wish that BG3 will not do is gimmicky bosses. Put the bosses under the same rule of the player.

The insane amount of gimmicky bosses and linearity is why IMO ToB is extremely inferior to SoA.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Be able to give a date should also avoid problems with keysellers who speculate on a release date.
???
How is that supposed to help or change anything at all? The key sellers can just change the date on their website to match the official launch date.

Sharpedge

Prophet
Hoteot is the greatest final dungeon ever made.
That sure is an interesting way to describe it. The first time I did it I full cleared it, every other time (and I finished the game 4 or 5 times) I just beelined to the exit, taking the shortest route possible and skipping almost everything.

It requires you to know how to deal with every situation, you had to learn from the game and put it into practice.
It teaches you to become one with Sirocco. Copy pasting 2 Wild Hunt Monarchs into a room and 10 Wild Hunt Scouts is not good encounter design. The fights aren't difficult, they are just tedious and repetitive.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The reason to why i re played DS2 far more than DS1 is
Because you're a retardo.

DS2 is crappiest crap in the series, and no Bed of Chaos can change that.

Wrong. DS2 has the best NG+, has Hexes, greatest amount of content, and is the unique game where you don't see 99% of people on PvP using fast swinging blades, has the best fashion souls, on DS3, they made armor worthless, and all about speed...

Fog puzzles were kinda lame.

Are more trial and error than actually puzzles.

One thing which I hate on 99% of RPG's, is puzzles. Is rarely done right. Is mostly "here is your lv 20 barbarian that can cut thick dragon scales with his axe. He is pulling random levers to open this amazing wooden door. Now go waste your time pressing random levers or ATB + TAB to google to find the solution". Puzzles often makes no sense. On nwn1 - hotu, doesn't matter if your sorcerer can stop the time and throw meteors, he needs to lure a mimic to a trap because somehow the trap's fire is different than the fire which your magic can produce. It is not fun, nor engaging, nor interesting. IT Is just boring.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom