Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Halp guis!
Stuck on the death snare riddler.

Taste my bread, enjoy my ale,
White or orange, and flavorful
I help the weak regain their strength
Cum.
If you were serious: wheat.
Hm, tried it, didnt work. Maybe i need capital W.

cruelio

Augur
I actually don't think my party can deal with this at this level. What a dog shit game. I need to reevaluate what I'm doing with my life.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I actually don't think my party can deal with this at this level. What a dog shit game. I need to reevaluate what I'm doing with my life.
What's your party/level?

With complete knowledge of the encounter, you can semi-reliably take her down (bullshit initiative aside). Cast Silence in her area (widened, if possible) and then use the Summon Marilith scroll that you can find in the prior room. If the marilith decides to grapple the spider, it's game over for that whore. Otherwise, well, reload.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Ok another update.

LVL 17 now, 5 wizards transformed, got access to lvl 9 spells. Cleared chapter 3 with little problems, even got 2 spare campfires. Prismatic spells proved great, ofc.
Onward to chapter 4 now.

Guys, how do i reach Finchbury? The game takes me straight to Castle Gleegold

cruelio

Augur
I covered the entire area in silence and the Spider Queen popped up out of nowhere, went first, and cast 3 silenced meteor storms and a silenced sunburst to wipe out my entire party instead of one prismatic void.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
I covered the entire area in silence and the Spider Queen popped up out of nowhere, went first, and cast 3 silenced meteor storms and a silenced sunburst to wipe out my entire party instead of one prismatic void.
The spider queen encounter would make an incredible drinking game.

You need to get a lucky initiative-insertion where you can act with your wizard before her and summon the marilith. Once you manage to do that, if the marilith doesn't fuck up and decides to grapples the queen, you have won.

I don't believe anyone who says they beat this without 100 reloads or cheating.
Since I started relying on the marilith, I need to reload only when she enters the initiative order in a way that makes her go before my wizard.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Ok so i transformed my 6 wizards and everyone reached lvl 9 spells. That made chapter 4 completely trivial. Also, Red transformation boosts force damage too, my magic missile does even stupider damage now.

Imagine 8 casters aoeing shit like there is no tomorrow. I actually turned down the paladin from joining since its caster only party

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Ok so i finished the game last night, some thoughts. Spoilers

6 red wizards with raven familiars for additional initiative
- Stygian female humans with 6 str, 18 dex, 16 con, 20 int, wis and cha were about 9 (manually calibrated the stats while still respecting the race maximum)
- from the options i took full hp on levelup (i do that in every game, its just how my OCD rolls), kept the money on levelup cost
- starting feats were improved initiative and 2 summoning ones

Chapter 1
- skipped last fight and thought the quest would lead somewhere, - spoiler - it did not
- used the Deep Slumber scroll on the sharkman and toads, skeleton summons coup the graced em
- summons with added feats pretty much destroyed everything

Chapter 2
- Killed th minotaur mage by greasing him and surrounding him with summons
- reloaded a few times on the centipedes, also killed em with summons
- leveled up to lvl 3 (removed the summoning feats before leveling and took improved/greater magic missile feats - magic missile then does 4-7 dmg PER missile) and killed the mimics by fleeing back through the tunnel on the right side, past the 2 mimics and then blocking the entrance with summons
- picked up the chaos scroll and then went for the arena fight, assisted the gray goblins, had to reload a few times until chaos beserked/confused most of the gobbos
- after that i leveled to 5, took empower and improved empower feats, also got access to fireball and magic missile started really to come into play (3 missiles on lvl 5, empowered magic missile takes up 2nd level slots, tbh its the deal breaker from then on)
- cleared the crypt, nuked everything pretty much with magic missile, dragon went down in 1 round from empowered magic missile
- after exiting the crypt i used deep slumber on efreet and coup-the-graced him with a summon xD
- recruited erzimon, didnt level him up at that point
- probably the hardest fight in the game was the goblin king - key was to drop a lot of shit on the ground right after he summons the vrock, because then he usually casts greater dispel and banishes the vrock at the same time, when he peeped around the corner i bursted him down with magic missile
- after that it was pretty much smooth sailing for chapter 2, hydra went down in 1-2 rounds, etc

Chapter 3
- leveled all characters to lvl 9
- Pizzara fight was tricky a bit since i wanted to kill the demon as well, used the suprise round to destroy most of the enemies with cone of cold and ice storm, managed to feeblemind the demon and lowered his SR, then nuked him with imp magic missile (5 missiles on lvl 9 YO!)
- cleared the upper and lower part of chapter 3 including the dragon (except the death snare, queen and demon summon) as lvl 9 right up until the fomorians, there i leveled to 11 to get access to chaos and acid fog (ignores SR), that made the fomorians fights pretty manageable (acid cloud and energy wall were key here)
- leveled up some more, cleared death snare (prismatic spells really came into play here, soul sucker died from 6 shaped prismatic cones), and wrecked the spider queen (single blocks of prismatic wall on her spawning point)
- went back to the crones, gave em the book, freed the demon (took archmage robe as reward), killed the crones and then the demon as well
- used the lamp genie to duplicate the archmage robe, freed him afterward, never saw him again even though he promises he will return
- freed the lich and nuked him with prismatic cones, destroyed him with the book of the dead which then got ruined

Chapter 4
- went here as lvl 15ish i think, quickly leveled all the way since i realised this was it
- went around the castle first, cleared the mobs
- it was like shooting fish in a barrel - you get 8 casters who can cast lvl 9 spells
- tbh i really didnt prefer prismatic void that much, its kinda unreliable, used a lot of power fireballs, even empowered regular fireballs, also irresistible dance is OP amongts other things
- massive aoe (2x casts per caster) trivialised the entire chapter, cleared the last fight in a couple of rounds

Gear
This setup is great since you do not need much gear to prosper, only stuff i used was the +constitution belts/necklaces and the Archmage stuff that gave extra spell slots. Cloaks of SR were nice, but as game progressed my dmg loadout became so good that rival casters got ganked promptly and didnt have a chance to cast anything.

Also another curious thing is that i didnt need a lot of healing, Erzimon was tasked with this but i mostly used him for buffs and healing between fights. Mirror image saved my ass most of the time.

Feats
Improved initiative is a must
In retrospect, i regret not taking improved spell range I,II,III - that would make things easier
Empower / Improved Empower - was essential for magic missile spam and for fireball as well, didnt take any other metamagics
Improved / Greater Magic Missile + Improved Magic Missile Range feat - these are awesome (tho bugged atm, you dont receive the 6th and 7th missile), if you plan on a full caster party take these, great for massive single target damage, for nuking down bosses. ALSO the damage receives a 50% buff from red wizard transformation which alongside empower is a massive boost,
Spell focus evocation / greater spell focus evocation - no brainer, needed for transformation as well
Spell penetration / greater spell penetration - no brainer, must have
Superior concentration - took this pretty late, mid chapter 3

Spells
LVL 1
- Summon skeleton (this little fella will carry you through the first chapters)
- Magic Missile (staple of the build)
- Grease
- Sleep

LVL 2
- Mirror Image (mandatory)
- Empowered Magic Missile :)
- Web (to ruin casters day)

LVL 3 (all mandatory)
- Deep Slumber
- Fireball
- Stinking cloud
- Haste

LVL 4
- Resilient Web
- Ice Storm
- Energy wall (mandatory)
- Empowered Fireball :)

LVL 5
- Cone of Cold (mandatory)
- Reduce spell resistance (mandatory) - short range, for this spell mostly i regret not taking the Improved spell range I, II, III (took em late in the game)
- Frailty is cool but your dps is so big they do not have any time to heal anyway
- Feeblemind is ok

LVL 6
- Acid Fog (aoe that ignores SR)
- Chaos (crowd control)
- Mass ability increase (used it at start of combat for +int)
- Chain Lightning (mandatory)

LVL 7
- Foresight (+ intiative, MANDATORY)
- Power Fireball
- Prismatic spray

LVL 8
- Accelerated Spell and Power (MANDATORY)
- Prismatic Wall
- Mass protection (bonus to saving throws)
- Irresistible Dance (boss killer)

LVL 9
- Prismatic Void
- Mass Irresistible Dance
- Mass Mind Blank

With 8 casters you get enough time on round 1 to aoe buff, aoe disable, and start nuking the shit out of em.

Final thoughts - even though the game is bugged as shit, half the stuff doesnt work and the encounters arent optimised at all, i had a lot of fun with it. Looking back, i think i played it at this point mostly because i didnt have anything else of interest to play, the entire module seems like a demonstration of the engine and combat ruleset, since the story itself makes no sense.
I will buy the complete game on GoG but i have to say that Pierre was misleading us with the GUIZE TEH MODULE IS 100% DONE bullshit, that was noot cool Pierre, not cool at all.

Anyways, thats that.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Do you get a particular reward if you perfectly solve all 38 math riddles in chapter 3? I'm continuously missing 3 of them and I can't understand which ones.

Here I summon the power of the great KotC 2 autists: Jasede, Tweed, Nryn, Dickie, Noddy
I'm fairly certain that Pierre put some incorrect answers in there to fuck with people. But the most important question is, "Who the fuck puts calculus questions in a D&D video game?"

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I'm fairly certain that Pierre put some incorrect answers in there to fuck with people. But the most important question is, "Who the fuck puts calculus questions in a D&D video game?"

Good ones makes the best puzzles, like in River of time's Amazon Temple, although early Might & Magic made some of the best riddles ever used in a cRPG.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
I decided I was gonna play through the game, but I'm trying to kill a room full of spiders, and the game crashes every time a particular spider takes its turn. Well, I guess not every turn. One time, it didn't crash until that spider took its second turn. Must be some spell like Global Thermonuclear War or something.

ulEIV.png

Lilliput McHammersmith

Good ones makes the best puzzles, like in River of time's Amazon Temple, although early Might & Magic made some of the best riddles ever used in a cRPG.
I am playing through Isles of Terra for the first time and I have to agree. Some very good puzzlers in here.

The Red Knight

Erudite
If you can't wait for a bugfix, check the scripts of that fight in the editor (start-of-fight trigger, and scripts associated with the monsters participating in it) - possibly just some missing target of a script command or something (like reinforcements that are supposed to arrive but there's no defined target to unhide in the script, or that spider having an incomplete script telling him to do something).

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
I decided I was gonna play through the game, but I'm trying to kill a room full of spiders, and the game crashes every time a particular spider takes its turn. Well, I guess not every turn. One time, it didn't crash until that spider took its second turn. Must be some spell like Global Thermonuclear War or something.

ulEIV.png
Ah, the marvelous Prismatic Void of Quick Reload. Amazing spell.

Mortmal

Arcane

ulEIV.png
It's mass transformation spell crashing it, already reported it a while ago.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
It's mass transformation spell crashing it, already reported it a while ago.
Interesting. I got it "fixed" by landing confusion. Of course the boss showed up and used Prismatic Void and killed my entire party, but at least it didn't crash before then.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
I tried fighting the spiders again after loading a previous save and leveling up my dudes some more and resting. I used silence in the area where the queen spawns, and she used accelerated spell to use sunburst to permanently blind everyone and then summon an iron golem. I was thinking, "Oh, that's not so bad." Then, she ended her turn and the iron golem used his breath weapon to do 26-28 constitution damage to 3 of my dudes, killing them instantly. Well-played, you fucking bitch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom