Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Unironically asking - how long can this scam go on before the pledges start drying up? There must exist a breaking point at which even the most brain-dead zombie will realise "oh, this game will never come out." Imagine the forums and YouTube at that moment.

More seriously though, sometimes I wonder whether Chris Roberts isn't actively counting on someone/something shutting down his company due to litigation, at which point he will bow out, cancel the project, and run with the money.

You know how people buy new iphones to show off how rich they are to their neighbors?
Well star citizen is the ultimate gamer version of that.Random rich guy can buy a fancy expensive ship or two and parade it in front of the peasants.
And the devs don't even have to implement anything requiring work,just the basic ability to fly the ships in space without the game crashing and people will continue buying.

Only an iPhone is a physical product. Here we're talking about literal JPEGs.

justincz

Scholar
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch/17518-Roadmap-Roundup-March-13th-2020
bi9m6qi2oqd51.png

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
You forget, good people, the most important part of the scam - that Squadron 42 was supposed to be the main title, and the MMO game a companion, post-game content basically. Now the main title is completely swept under the rug, and the community has to throw a fit in order for the company to even acknowledge its existence.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Why exactly do people that haven't pledged care whether or not it is a scam ? I would never spent a buck on it unless there is a finished product but i don't see the harm in it right now unless you were someone that actually pledged. Even assuming that it is a scam, it has some value. It showed that there is a market for this kind of game. It might inspire other developers to do something in the genre. And even if it takes another 10 years what does it matter as long as you don't invest prematurely ? Are they aggressively calling grandmas and rip them off with the good old "Hey its me, Chris Robert your favorite space game developer" scheme ?

Why do you care so much why people care? Why do people „care“ about Scientology? Why do people care about any scams if they are not victims themselves? Who the fuck cares?

Personally, I get a big fucking laugh out of this. Can’t get enough of watching this slow-mo trainwreck. But hey, that’s me! Other people may take moral issues with a company selling jpegs for thousands of dollars to gullible and vulnerable people (SC seems to very popular with disabled vets in the US. You can bet your ass there are quite a few persons who are spending their entire disability compensation on this scam). Especially if the very same company is held up by its fans as some kind of anti-thesis to „evil“ publishers.

Even others may find it interesting or funny to see idiots who are balls deep in this mess bend over backwards, twisting logic to unseen before levels, trying to explain why this train wreck of a tech demo is actually great, just because they need to justify their thousands of dollars „investments“. It’s an interesting case study for different psychological mechanisms. The official subreddit is a treasure trove for psychologists and sociologists.

Then there are also those who think it’s important to correct the lies that the cultists are spreading in different communities, even here on the Codex. Because, you know, some people think it’s important that bullshit artists, scammers or fools are not allowed to make their false claims unopposed.

So who knows?

Last edited:
Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
The devs aren't stupid. Not releasing the game is the most profitable thing they can do.

This is true but it doesn’t tell the whole story. By now, I am convinced Roberts would love to release the game, just so that he can be rid of it. He‘s already payed himself and his family members millions in salaries from this and bought a mansion paid with backer money. The continued existence of this clusterfuck just means more stress, bad PR and the ever looming risk of legal consequences (however unlikely) for him. Not worth the extra money.

At this point, the problem is no longer that they don’t *want * to release the game, they just *can't*. They are buried below years of technical debt, a completely ill-suited and patched together Frankenstein engine, spaghetti code, bad architecture and thousands upon thousands of bugs. Literally every time they introduce some new major feature (which happens rarely nowadays) they break tons of stuff and create all kinds of weird bugs.

And they *still* haven’t figured out how to fit more than 50 people in their universe. They keep talking about dynamic server meshing, but they don’t even have a theoretical outline on how that’s supposed to work.

They are years late with a simple, singleplayer wing commander clone and they can’t get it out the door even if their lives depended on it. Hell, they can’t even show any material that would at least prove they are working on the game. Really tells you everything you need to know about the development hell this project is in.

Myobi

Liturgist
Then there are also those who think it’s important to correct the lies that the cultists are spreading in different communities, even here on the Codex. Because, you know, some people think it’s important that bullshit artists, scammers or fools are not allowed to make their false claims unopposed.

So who knows?

BLM is prolly the best example right now for why bullshit artists, scammers or fools shouldn't be unopposed when going all over the place spewing their dumb shit.

A trash fire is always fun to watch from a far, but if left completely unchecked, under the right conditions, even you might have to deal with the smell eventually.

Perkel

Arcane
Well at least they have better servers than Steam. That 300mln at work, max i get from Steam is 60MB/s.

unknown.png

edit:

:troll:
unknown.png

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
There's lots of bandwidth to share when there's 5 people downloading vs 5 million

Maybe they treated my download as DDOS attack ?

:troll:

edit: It looks like my E drive had some credential issues from previous win10 installation and RSI launcher didn't like it. Had to take ownership of RSI folder and it worked.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Installed, ready to play be a test subject. Probably i will just go for Star Marine mode for now to get around FPS mode and keybinds. Seems like effectively FPS arena like Quake3/UT.

Perkel

Arcane
Managed to pick up package, grab a drink and hot dog, leave planet, arrive on planet and like 500m away from delivering and earning first time money it disconnected me from server.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Either way, enjoying vistas for now.

Last edited:

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
tbh if this goes on, the space engine devs will have a working and probably better looking game out before CIG does.

Perkel

Arcane
my latest creation. Context: I was picking up several packages at the same time, i had filled ship with 5 boxes and this was supposed to my last stop to get 6th package and off we go DHL style to one planet to get all those packages to one place for sweet sweet money. About 60 minutes on playing getting those previous boxes.

YOU SHALL NOT PASS

Can't fly away since my ship was stored and can't get to lobby which means i have to quit to main menu which will remove all those packages i collected.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom