Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
From the way Byuu's talking it sounds like he has a legit learning disability. You know, among all the other host of mental issues he must have.
And why do people insist on only supporting the latest OS with their retro gaming shit? There's nothing there that needs to be Win 10 only. I swear these people must be Microsoft stooges, either willingly or unwillingly.

index.php

Arcane
https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1srbcc1
byuu · @byuu_san
26th Jul 2020 from TwitLonger

So, a few points.

I shouldn't have tried to return in May; my situation had not improved then.
I don't think anyone could have anticipated a global pandemic when I first announced my plans to retire in 2019.
I further had reason to believe things would improve, but that turned out to be a false hope in the end.
I've always had a strong passion for emulator development, so it was easy to fall back into it again.
I needed to really leave this time, and that meant not holding onto old accounts. I'm very sorry if I've worried anyone.
I am regretful I was not able to complete the new N64 and PS1 cores, but they're each at least 80% finished.
I've closed my Patreon account, and sent the final $1,200 to John for SNES PPU delayering and imaging.
I've removed accounts on every service that allows deletion and doesn't allow name reuse (Reddit, Mastodon, etc)
I've transferred ownership of accounts on services that allow impersonations (GitLab, Twitter, Patreon, etc)
All the same I want to stress, if someone appears in the future claiming to be me, they're not.

I really didn't want to address this publicly, but if you want to know the reason I've been erratic lately:
At the beginning of the year, an anonymous individual went through who I followed and made a list of emulator developers.
They then made a dox list of their names, photos, addresses, etc, along with some grotesque commentary about each of them.
I know they used my following list because it included the names of very obscure developers who never released anything.
And more telling, it omitted the names of prominent developers that I didn't follow. This was targeted at me.
I've had my fans and my critics since 1998. I'm used to it. I can laugh at myself and handle criticism sent my way.
Hell, I've already internalized it all anyway. It's hard to take someone down a peg when they have no self-esteem to begin with.
But going after people I care about solely to get at me crossed a line.
And no matter how many people reassure me it's not my fault, I can't shake the feeling that it is.
All I've ever done online was post strong opinions about emulator design and talk about politics like millions of other people.
I did not deserve this, and most especially, the people I followed did not deserve this.
It took 22 years, but they finally found my one weakness, and they've won. I tried everything.
I tried acknowledging and addressing all criticisms made of me for the past two years now to no avail.
I tried making the software everyone wanted, running a GitHub account, and more, to no avail.
I even tried changing my name, and later my emulator name, to no avail.
It finally became clear to me that nothing I ever say or do is going to change or stop this.
As long as I'm around, I'm putting my friends at risk of further harassment, and I just can't selfishly ignore that.
I offer my strongest apologies to those affected by this, I am so sorry. I'd have given anything to undo this, but I can't.
To whoever was responsible for the list, if the day ever comes that you feel remorse for it, I forgive you.

As far as preserving what I have created ...
I've transferred the Discord server to Kawa.
I've transferred the GitHub emulation projects and Twitter accounts to MerryMage.
I've transferred the GitHub byuu account and byuu website domains to Screwtape.
They have access to every article, emulator WIP build, changelog note, etc, and it will all be preserved by them going forward.

As always, it's been a real pleasure.
I may be leaving sooner than I otherwise would have, but all good things come to an end. This was inevitable.
Whether anyone ever believes it or not, I never wanted the attention or popularity. I just wanted to share my work with everyone.
I never wanted my last message to have to carry such a sad weight to it.
I know that I can't ask people to forget about me, but I do ask that you focus on what matters.
So at the very least, please don't remember me for why I had to leave, remember me for who I was.

Thank you all for reading. Stay safe out there. I'll be okay.

~ byuu

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
What's this about him being a pedo? Citation needed other than just prejudiced speculation that just because a guy likes too much anime and is a gay furry it means he's a short eyes.

I feel sorry for him. He seems immature and chronically depressed. Brilliant coder though. That's his superpower in life. Sad that he just can't be happy with that and feels his life is a failure because he not good at anything else.

Viata

Arcane
The pedo is just shitposting about some old post he did in his site:
https://archive.fo/Jxrl8
However, he has a fame of being a hoarder(although he says he does not, but who knows?):
upload_2018-5-14_20-46-33-png.449496

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Just wanted to say to anyone using current versions of YUZU:

If your game is crashing try increasing your page file. Mine stopped crashing when I raised it from 8gb to 15gb.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So apparently the word is that the switch emulator will play Paper Mario on PC happily these days

Anyone can confirm?

If this works, I'll be able to run Yuzu withouth issues on Windows.

Only if someone would solve mystery on Linux Yuzu (Vulkan API) not running complex games at all.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
So, guys, get this:

Demon's Souls on RPCS3, but...

spekkio

Arcane
BROS, I've decided to post some stuff and things concerning improving PS2 games' graphical output.

As you all should know, most PS2 games use interlaced mode as default. Which leads to "shaky" video output when using pcsx2.

The easiest way of dealing with the problem is to switch the game to progressive mode. As long as the game itself supports it.

1) Native support for progressive scan

List of PlayStation 2 games with alternative display modes

There are many similar lists on the webz, but this one is probably the best. Just remember that some games lack the "progressive scan" option in settings, you have to enable it during boot with various key combinations (check the list).

2) Enabling progressive scan via cheats

For games that do not support progressive scan natively, it can be enabled by cheats / AR codes. But making these require some advanced knowledge / hard work. So far I'm only aware of a few such codes, for example for SMT3, DDS1 & DDS2 (mentioned earlier ITT, thanks to SCO-kun).

Progressive scan mode patches for Nocturne, DDS1 and DDS2

When using such codes, pcsx2 displays the output as "progressive" and "de-interlacing" filters of pcsx2 (switchable via F5) don't work at all.

I've added these codes to my "enhancement" codes posted here:

Streamlining Megami Tensei PS2 games

More codes for more games

3) Disabling interlacing

AFAI understand it correctly, there's also another way of dealing with the "screen shaking" in pcsx2. By disabling the interlacing ITZself using cheats / AR codes.

When using such codes, pcsx2 displays the output as "interlaced" and you have to set the "de-interlacing" to "none" (to prevent shaking / artifacts caused by de-interlacing filters):

bPyPMnE.png

And that's almost all. These cheats do not have any negative outcomes AFAIR.

But you can try some things that can work better or worse, but often lead to some problems.

4) 60 FPS patches

60 FPS patches / codes (a.k.a. speedhacks) for games which use lower framerate.

60 FPS codes thread @ pcsx2 forums + list by asasega

These may fuck things up OFC (game working too fast, crashes). So use with caution 'cuz results may vary.

5) Widescreen patches

AR codes adding widescreen support to games which only support 4:3 output. Using them can lead to minor (stretched UI) or major (parts outside of default FOV not being rendered correctly, crashes) problems.

These patches are included in the emulator (cheats_ws.zip), simply enable them in emu options:

ok6Mm6F.png

And that's all, folks.

:obviously:

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
BROS, I've decided to post some stuff and things concerning improving PS2 games' graphical output.

As you all should know, most PS2 games use interlaced mode as default. Which leads to "shaky" video output when using pcsx2.

The easiest way of dealing with the problem is to switch the game to progressive mode. As long as the game itself supports it.

1) Native support for progressive scan

List of PlayStation 2 games with alternative display modes

There are many similar lists on the webz, but this one is probably the best. Just remember that some games lack the "progressive scan" option in settings, you have to enable it during boot with various key combinations (check the list).

2) Enabling progressive scan via cheats

For games that do not support progressive scan natively, it can be enabled by cheats / AR codes. But making these require some advanced knowledge / hard work. So far I'm only aware of a few such codes, for example for SMT3, DDS1 & DDS2 (mentioned earlier ITT, thanks to SCO-kun).

Progressive scan mode patches for Nocturne, DDS1 and DDS2

When using such codes, pcsx2 displays the output as "progressive" and "de-interlacing" filters of pcsx2 (switchable via F5) don't work at all.

I've added these codes to my "enhancement" codes posted here:

Streamlining Megami Tensei PS2 games

More codes for more games

3) Disabling interlacing

AFAI understand it correctly, there's also another way of dealing with the "screen shaking" in pcsx2. By disabling the interlacing ITZself using cheats / AR codes.

When using such codes, pcsx2 displays the output as "interlaced" and you have to set the "de-interlacing" to "none" (to prevent shaking / artifacts caused by de-interlacing filters):

bPyPMnE.png

And that's almost all. These cheats do not have any negative outcomes AFAIR.

But you can try some things that can work better or worse, but often lead to some problems.

4) 60 FPS patches

60 FPS patches / codes (a.k.a. speedhacks) for games which use lower framerate.

60 FPS codes thread @ pcsx2 forums + list by asasega

These may fuck things up OFC (game working too fast, crashes). So use with caution 'cuz results may vary.

5) Widescreen patches

AR codes adding widescreen support to games which only support 4:3 output. Using them can lead to minor (stretched UI) or major (parts outside of default FOV not being rendered correctly, crashes) problems.

These patches are included in the emulator (cheats_ws.zip), simply enable them in emu options:

ok6Mm6F.png

And that's all, folks.

:obviously:

Question tho, regarding the 60fps patches. This is what PCSX2 patches look like when they're converted into something the emulator can use...

This one makes Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song into wide-screen:
gametitle=Romancing SaGa (NTSC-U) (SLUS-21263)
comment=Widescreen Hack (16:9) by ElHecht
// 16:9
patch=1,EE,0027fa54,word,3c013f40 // 00000000 hor fov
patch=1,EE,0027fa58,word,44810000 // 00000000 hor fov
patch=1,EE,0027fa60,word,4600c602 // 00000000 hor fov
patch=1,EE,00183124,word,3c014430 // 3c014400 bg-fix for battles
//
// Compass
patch=1,EE,20425B00,extended,43C00000 // 44000000 hor Compass

This one makes Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga part 1 run in progressive scan (i.e. what you're talking about in your post):
// NOP out old interlaced field switch
patch=1,EE,002D1558,word,00000000

// Another field switch here that needs to be NOP'd to prevent
// post processing effects from getting misaligned when entering
// and leaving menus.
patch=1,EE,002D5060,word,00000000

// Patch sceGsResetGraph arguments to set 480p
patch=1,EE,002EFD7C,word,24110000 // addiu $s1, 0, 0x00
patch=1,EE,002EFD80,word,24120050 // addiu $s2, 0, 0x50
patch=1,EE,002EFD84,word,24020001 // addiu $s3, 0, 0x01

...as for my question: well the 60fps patches in that thread don't look like this. This is what the DQ8 60fps patch looks like:
Dragon Quest VIII SLUS-21207
60 fps
203E4B20 00000001 //fps
2016E2D4 3C023F00 //animations speed
201DE148 3C023F00 //running animation speed
202FB1C4 3C023F00 //traverse distance if it feels slow you can try 3C023F40 instead

The hexadecimal addresses aren't converted, or I'm missing some other detail. What do I do to make them useable by PCSX2? I want to use the DQ8 60fps patch. It's probably something really simple that I'm overlooking, but as-is that 60fps patch does not work on PCSX2.

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
^
Maybe posters are just lazy. Try this:

// Dragon Quest VIII SLUS-21207
// 60 fps
patch=1,EE,203E4B20,word,00000001 //fps
patch=1,EE,2016E2D4,word,3C023F00 //animations speed
patch=1,EE,201DE148,word,3C023F00 //running animation speed
patch=1,EE,202FB1C4,word,3C023F00 //traverse distance if it feels slow you can try 3C023F40 instead

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
How do I download cores in retroarch on PC (Arch Linux) using the UI? Is that even possible? I don't see that option in the menu (on Android there *is* such an option).
According to this page https://retroarch.com/?page=cores there should be a menu entry Update Cores inside the Online Updater submenu, but somehow it is missing from my install.

Also why is it loading different UIs when I launch it as root and as regular user? How do I switch between the two?

Overall I had a far smoother experience on Android...

Last edited:

flyingjohn

Arcane
How do I download cores in retroarch on PC using the UI? Is that even possible? I don't see that option in the menu (on Android there *is* such an option).
Also why is it loading different UIs when I launch it as root and as regular user? How do I switch between the two?

Main menu-Online updater-Core downloader.
Settings-Drivers-Menu.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
How do I download cores in retroarch on PC using the UI? Is that even possible? I don't see that option in the menu (on Android there *is* such an option).

Main menu-Online updater-Core downloader.
Settings-Drivers-Menu.
You mean Core Downloader or Content Downloader? There's no Core Downloader option in the menu...
Also I edited my previous post:
According to this page https://retroarch.com/?page=cores there should be a menu entry Update Cores inside the Online Updater submenu, but somehow it is missing from my install.
Content downloader doesn't seem to allow you to download cores, not for nintendo ds at least (on Android there are nintendo ds cores available).

Viata

Arcane
How do I download cores in retroarch on PC (Arch Linux) using the UI? Is that even possible?
I use Linux(Xubuntu) and that is not possible here. I have to download libretro cores on command line, retroarch then recognize it without needing to select anything. I only had to make some changes when the emulator requires bios(nes, ps1 and so on).

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
How do I download cores in retroarch on PC (Arch Linux) using the UI? Is that even possible? I don't see that option in the menu (on Android there *is* such an option).

Default behavior in Arch Linux is to install cores via pacman, check here for cores in the community repo: https://www.archlinux.org/groups/x86_64/libretro/

You can override this behavior by editing ~/.config/retroarch/retroarch.cfg and setting:
menu_show_core_updater = "true"

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I started fiddling with the Yuzu emulator. It is in a surprising functional state with respect some time ago. My problem is to find some Switch games the are worth playing. The most interesting ones that I have found are games that already have a PC version (excluding obviously the Mario/Zelda ones).

Which are the most worthy Switch games that are NOT PC ports? Do you know if there is a list somewhere? (I am not interested in Switch exclusives only, I just want to know the games that have no PC version). Thanks in any case.

flyingjohn

Arcane
I started fiddling with the Yuzu emulator. It is in a surprising functional state with respect some time ago. My problem is to find some Switch games the are worth playing. The most interesting ones that I have found are games that already have a PC version (excluding obviously the Mario/Zelda ones).

Which are the most worthy Switch games that are NOT PC ports? Do you know if there is a list somewhere? (I am not interested in Switch exclusives only, I just want to know the games that have no PC version). Thanks in any case.

-Alliance alive remastered
Has a pc port but can't be played with keyboard and mouse unlike yuzu

-Astral chain
Platinum hack/slash with rpg elements

-Brigandine
A sequel to a old ps1 srpg. Has worse ai but everything else is fine.

-Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
A mario puzzle game which uses perspective.
Is available on wii/u and 3ds as well.

-Catherine Full Body
Atlus puzzle game involved with manipulating blocks.
Pc only has the vanilla game.

-chocobo dungeon
A remake of a old chocobo dungeon game.
If you like the series it could be worth playing.

-Collection of Mana
First three mana titles in English. They are action rpg's.

-Dragon quest collection
First three games with updated graphics and in english.

-Fire Emblem Three Houses
A solid srpg.

-Laytons Mystery Journey - Deluxe Edition
A puzzle game with more puzzles then the 3ds version.

-luigi mansion 3
Action adventure game where you collect ghosts as lugi.

-Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
A suprisingly good srpg base don mario and rayman.

-Mary Skelter 2
Boring jrpg.Only play if you loved the original.

-Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate
Action rpg where you hunt dinosaurs.
A updated graphic port from the 3ds version in english.

-phantasy star
A updated version of a old jrpg.
Has small quality of life changes like a map for dungeons.

-pokemon mystery dungeon games
Roguelike games.
Only play if you liked the previous games.

-Pokemon sword & shield
It is pokemon.

-Rune factory 4
Harvest moon fantasy versions.
Updated versions of the 3ds game.

-STAR OCEAN First Departure R
A port of a port of a old action rpg.
The gameplay is still good.

-super robot wars t
Srpg games with robots.
Piss easy but good if you like customization.

-Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE Encore
A very good jrpg from atlus.
It is a updated cesnored port from wii-u.

-Xenobalde chronicles 1 and 2
Good jrpgs.
The first one is a updated port from the wii.

-Marvel ultimate alliance 3
Very good marvel action rpg.
Get it if you have any interest in marvel games and action rpg's.

-yo kai watch
A boring pokemon clone with worse combat.
It is a prettier version of the 3ds version.Get only if you really like yo kai watch.

-yo kai watch 4
A somewhat boring real time pokemon clone.It fixes the series combat but is still just boring.

-The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild
Bad zelda game,excellent action adventure game with worthwhile exploration.
It is a wii-u port.

-The Legend of Zelda Links Awakening
Great zelda game.
It is a remake of the original gb game.

EDIT:Forgot about the new paper mario.
-Paper mario and the origami king.
Mario rpg with bad puzzle like combat but fun exploration and better story in the series.

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Still no Etrian Odyssey for Switch? welp

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom