Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Adventurer Guilds / Huge Rosters

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
You know, I'm actually a fan of this and being able to switch out players. Besides Tactical RPGs like Shining Force/FFT has this fallen on the wayside? I have a massive backlog of modern games but I recall being able to change out alts even on the old C64, appleii, and the old CRPGs on those. Even goldbox allows for easy changing out alts. Is this still a thing? Is there a hardlist of games with Rosters, number of active PCs vs NPCs in your squad and the mechanics of Inns and Guildhouses?

I know the easy access of all characters from an inn or guild is nice but it really doesn't make sense if a huge pool of characters are in one town and you make it across the continent to have the same access to all of them. Its probably OCD to have large pools of alts but why the hell not?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I like the idea that even party death is not Game Over.
It means you can play it with minimal saving, like in the old Bard's Tale and Wizardry games, or even play them Iron Man and still afford to make some mistakes.

Dorateen

Arcane
The early Might & Magic role-playing games, Demise: Ascension, and Elminage Gothic are just a few that allow the player to create a roster of characters. Really appreciate this feature. Even the Gold Box series made it possible to roll additional characters and import/export them into a party mid game.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Dragon's Dogma is basically built around this. You have continually swap out your party members because the NPCs who join you can't gain levels.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Jagged Alliance 2.

40-strong A.I.M roster
10-strong M.E.RC roster
13 in-game recruitables

Has built-in Ironman mode and with Stracciatella has built-in Dead-is-Dead. :obviously:

If you're a "full party creation or No Play!" fag, play Jagged Alliance 2 1.13.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
You know, I'm actually a fan of this and being able to switch out players. Besides Tactical RPGs like Shining Force/FFT has this fallen on the wayside? I have a massive backlog of modern games but I recall being able to change out alts even on the old C64, appleii, and the old CRPGs on those. Even goldbox allows for easy changing out alts. Is this still a thing? Is there a hardlist of games with Rosters, number of active PCs vs NPCs in your squad and the mechanics of Inns and Guildhouses?

I know the easy access of all characters from an inn or guild is nice but it really doesn't make sense if a huge pool of characters are in one town and you make it across the continent to have the same access to all of them. Its probably OCD to have large pools of alts but why the hell not?

It's mostly a Tactical feature which you can find in older and recent tactical games like Fantasy General or more recently Warbanners, Battle Brothers, Urtuk, ...

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I recall I was trying to fill out the Ultima III c64 roster with maxed out alts. My pa used to roll randomly who'd he take out then on tables it'd be castles/towns/dungeon/whirlpool. Even down to what level. He may have been more OCD gamer than me.

I still want the ultimate Ak-U3 remake 4 party+ with transfer. Ah, that'd be sweet nostalgia.

Another note for AppleIi/c64 was transferring between games like ultima/wizardry to Bardstale or Dragon Wars. Naturally sequels usually allowed this (Wizards crown to eternal dagger, Phantasie 1-3, wizardry...1-3, shard of spring-demon's winter, mm1 to 2, Bardstale obviously with Dragon wars bonus though Amiga was best), etc. Goldbox...

Really loved the idea of playing a same char for multiple games via transfer.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
For some games transfer worked well, like MM1 to MM2, and the Gold Box games.
For others it made the game far too easy, like BT 2.
And in some cases you might have been better off with new characters, since the game would cap transfered characters' stats right under the bonus treshold (Wiz 3).

But most annoying was when two games used differently sized rosters, and thus screwing up trasnfers, like Phantasie 2 to 3.

Last edited:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
The coolest transfers are between different series, I transferred my characters from Bard's Tale 3 to Legend Of Faerghail, and since the two games use different classes there were some funny results.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom