Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SMT: Nocturne

Vorark

Erudite
Puzzle Boy

Locking that healing magatama and consequently masakados behind puzzles that had to completed in one go or else progress would be lost was such a bullshit move. Glad hardtype provided an alternative way.

Ialda

Learned
I already find SJ better than Nocturne, anyway.

Nocturne has better atmosphere, SJ has better dungeons (and slightly better gameplay - randomized inherited skills during fusions in Nocturne was a crap idea).

I also liked how Nocturne sidetracked the classic law/chaos dichotomy in favor of several competing philosophies, the story feels more nuanced that way (and the player have the impression of having more control on how the next world will be shaped).

Nocturne has better atmosphere

Every core SMT has incredible atmosphere full of sadness, eptiness and despair so I couldn't choose between SJ and SMT3 basing just on that one factor.

I'd discribe Strange Journey vibe as mixture of SMT, Doom and The Thing.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Why would anyone need an easy mode? Normal is already piss easy once you know what to do, the real difficulty is just getting annihilated when you don't know what something is vulnerable to. I just finished a run of Nocturne CE and nearly all of my deaths were just bad luck like getting mudo'd or hit with a crit at the wrong time. Plus Raidou gets pierce so he's not useless like Dante from Devil May Cry, but I guess the hardtype hack fixes that problem among a lot of others. I'll be trying that next time.

As much as I love Nocturne I think my favorite might still be SMT1.

My friend asked me: “when is it my turn?”

It’s never your turn. It’s only mot’s turn.

Shin Megami Tensei: Mot's Turn

-

There needs to be an option in the remake specifically asking whether or not you want fixed Mot or broken Mot.

In lieu of the setting telling what it does, it should just be an option that says 'Mot' and the eye is either open or closed.

:shredder:

Silva

Arcane
How about letting us choose the fused monster instead of randomizing it, like in Persona 5.

I remember wasting HOURS to get the right fusion in Nocturne. :negative:

Last edited:

Twizman

Scholar
In the hardtype apparently it significantly reduces the chance of transferring less useful skills.

Puukko

Arcane
How about letting us choose the fused monster instead of randomizing it, like in Persona 5.

I remember wasting HOURS to get the right fusion in Nocturne. :negative:
Do you mean having to check what demon results from a fusion? Because those aren't random, they're based on what races of demon you use and the resulting demon will be determined by the source demons' base levels added/2. There's lots of tools for fusion help.

Demon fusion and negotiation are where you want be using save states and turbo so you can save potential skill combinations while you fish for better ones. And because negotiation is literal pure RNG, sometimes there are only wrong answers to a question.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
Do you mean having to check what demon results from a fusion? Because those aren't random, they're based on what races of demon you use and the resulting demon will be determined by the source demons' base levels added/2. There's lots of tools for fusion help.
I don't remember seeing those explanations in-game and never care to look for online help. All I remember is the process of reloading dozens of times each fusion time waiting for the right monster and abilities to come up..

..and then playing Persona 5 couple months later and seeing how much better it was in this respect.

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
The skills, bro.
The fusion chart may or may not be ingame. Think you are meant to learn it by doing.

Puukko

Arcane
Nocturne definitely expects you to learn it by hand. Now, the fiend fusions are different since most players probably wouldn't make the connection between specific moon phases resulting in certain fiends. But this is a series with Famed demons, so...

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's weird, but it didn't bother me too much...
But then again, I was playing solo hardmode. (No demons.)

Puukko

Arcane
since most players probably wouldn't make the connection between specific moon phases resulting in certain fiends
Wut? You're trolling me right
Not at all. When you have a deathstone, what would normally result in a certain race will become a fiend under certain moon phases. Assuming you've beat that fiend of course.

Your post gave me cancer, mate.

I can't agree with SMT4 being ahead of Apocalypse or even SMT2. Nocturne and SJ are tough competitors and I wouldn't slight anyone for favoring SJ over Nocturne. Don't have experience with KMT or SMTI yet but I expect I will prefer SMT2 over 1 once I've played both. SMT2 despite all its faults was charming, like a mediocre child you can't help but cheer for.

I can't agree with SMT4 being ahead of Apocalypse or even SMT2.

Guyz, why so many of you have problems with IV? Dungeon are dumbed down thanks to 3DS limitations but rest is top notch.

Don't have experience with KMT

KMT2 is basically proto-version of SMT2, to the point you can even call SMT2 a remake.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom