Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware The Forest (PC and Oculus Rift)

Multi-headed Cow

Played a teeny tiny bit both to check it out myself (It's Brut's copy) and streamed so my bro could check it out. Seems kinda cool though busted enough that I may skip it next sale. Gave a good impression but things like the cave being under water (Only not) and being slapped off the island are kinda... Yeah.

http://www.twitch.tv/m_hc/b/592841531

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Wow, nice neco. Well well well, they added zombies?
I'll pass.

And DayZ is still alpha garbage/

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Last time I played it they still hadn't figured out how to layer the audio properly, which meant you constantly hear shit that was happening a mile away as if it was happening right next to you. Still no real objectives or campaign at all. Once you've built a decent fortification you've pretty much won the game, as the locals are completely unable to enter buildings. So all you'll have to do from there is base defense until the piles and piles of body parts of locals eventually lag the server until the game's more-or-less unplayable.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I never really feel like playing this. It's seems like they took all ideas that ever came up and fit them together, no matter if good or bad. I sometimes watch videos, see people axe-murdering lizards and seagulls and other baloney. Graphics are an absolute catastrophe. Will wait until this gets final and then give it a chance, perhaps.

ColCol

Arcane
It's enjoyable. I would compare it to Darkwoods. Yes, it has survival elements, but its more of a survival horror game. Also, this game it what should be done with "dungeon crawling".

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
After seeing the release of Grounded, I started to look at this type of game again, thinking about trying The Forest instead. I like explore and build type games.

I'm concerned that the game doesn't seem very motivating beyond "you're hungry, find food" or "cannibals are punching you, punch back". Is there a main story, or "acts", or a beginning, middle, and end? I felt like Subnautica had a really good balance of screwing around and following the plot, and when I was done I felt very satisfied. Is there enough here to give me a reason to keep surviving, or is this more a game you play for a few hours and then go, meh, I've seen it?

ColCol

Arcane
Some minor spoilers:

The main quest of the game sucks, I can't lie about that. You get good at surviving and start venturing into the caves. In the caves you'll find tools/loot as you delve that will allow you to explore further and further down, looking for your son. Except, the game gives you barely any tools/hints for figuring out what caves to look in first, so without a guide, it would just be super frustrating.

Also, the game makes some design choices that are not logical. There's several difficult to make pieces of gear for exploring the large snowy area of the map. It can take enough time that you may think the end game area is in a said snowy area. Except, there is nothing really there, just a really good weapon.

Last edited:

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I picked this up and have been playing it with friends, with 2-4 players depending who shows up that day. (The game supports up to 8.) I'm sure it would be good solo too. Overall this is super fun, so much to do and it's never boring. Usually we will schedule a time slot and continue to play long after we intended to wrap it up because it's so addicting.

Building is great, things "snap" together very easily and in addition to basic structures, there's a lot of fun stuff like treehouses, decorations, traps, boats, more. One of my favorite things is laying out blueprints of something I'd like to have for the base, and then I get distracted by something and come back later to find my friends have already built it and usually added more stuff to it. Crafting is cool too, so much useful stuff to be made from flowers, rocks, animal hides, tree sap. Progressing to the point where you can carry a water bag and a quiver with a ton of arrows feels great.

Even without "character classes", my friends and I have each developed our own combat style and it all comes together beautifully when those crazy cannibals show up. (I like to "tank" with my awesome blocking axe while my friends flank and shoot flaming arrows!)

Hunger mechanics and the quick passage of time (night time is very dangerous) add substantial pressure, but leave enough "free time" during the day to build, craft, plan, and explore. Really good pacing.

Zombra

Patron
The Forest was the brutal non-scaling combat difficulty
Was it always like that or did they balance it for 8 people and forget about solo?
Unknown. I didn't do any real research. All I know is that my team usually rolled with 3 or 4 people and combat was relentlessly punishing and challenging. When I tried to solo in the same world, it seemed like the amount of enemies was the same and it was basically unplayable. Maybe it scaled some, maybe it didn't, but soloing was awful, and I say that as one of the best fighters in my group.

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
I bought this on the Steam Summer Sale, 8 bucks being 8 bucks, for solo play. For a story based narrative, I preferred The Long Dark or Subnautica. The latter in particular much better incentivizes exploration and construction. I haven't found a reason to build anything better than a hunting shelter or basic fire, for instance. Larger personal containers and weapon buffs are useful but that's about it. I've farmed or crafted certain armor pieces and they disappeared on reloads. If you park at the starting crash site medicine, meals, snacks and soda seem to respawn indefinitely. Since muh horror, light sources are a pain. Flares burn out very quickly and crafting/lighting a simple torch is an annoying multi-step process.

I've been told it's more fun playing co-op and in VR.

BruceVC

Magister
I started playing this last night and Im really enjoying it, I am not experienced in survival games but this is great

I dont like the Save system where you can only save in some places like your camp but I may look for a Mod to address this ....but then I think " doesnt that defeat the point of the survival game ethos if you can save anywhere and ruin the excitement " ?

monilloman

Educated
Don't mod the save system, quicksaves are the cancer of gaming.

The game is great, free form exploration, dungeons are fun, resources are tight (unless you keep respawn on) and survival mechanics are not that obtrusive to feel like a hassle.

The bad? Its ridden with bugs, so either be prepared or wait for the even more buggy sequel.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

BruceVC

Magister
Don't mod the save system, quicksaves are the cancer of gaming.

The game is great, free form exploration, dungeons are fun, resources are tight (unless you keep respawn on) and survival mechanics are not that obtrusive to feel like a hassle.

The bad? Its ridden with bugs, so either be prepared or wait for the even more buggy sequel.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the advice, I will keep the saves as they are because I can accept getting killed and respawning where my camp is...its a survival game after all

Zombra

Patron
Word of warning, BruceVC - gameplay systems are locked behind exploring the right places. Example: despite an endless supply of tourist luggage from the plane crash, there is exactly ONE piece of paper available on the whole island which will allow you to draw a map of your surroundings. If you don't happen to look in the one exact cave, you can't have a map in the game. My group didn't have access to this for many hours, because we didn't pick the right random direction at the start. So either be sure to explore very aggressively, or be prepared to glance at a walkthrough from time to time to make sure the actual game isn't hidden from you.

BruceVC

Magister
Word of warning, BruceVC - gameplay systems are locked behind exploring the right places. Example: despite an endless supply of tourist luggage from the plane crash, there is exactly ONE piece of paper available on the whole island which will allow you to draw a map of your surroundings. If you don't happen to look in the one exact cave, you can't have a map in the game. My group didn't have access to this for many hours, because we didn't pick the right random direction at the start. So either be sure to explore very aggressively, or be prepared to glance at a walkthrough from time to time to make sure the actual game isn't hidden from you.
Thanks for the advice, initially I didnt want to use any walkthrough but I have using Steam for tips

Interestingly enough my second attempt when I was defeated by cannibals they took me to a cave and I found the map so I think I know where that is :cool:

monilloman

Educated
bollocks, I finished my first playthrough without the map nor
compass, climbing axe or chainsaw
Unless you have FOMO or something you can do just fine with the bare minimum.

BruceVC

Magister
bollocks, I finished my first playthrough without the map nor
compass, climbing axe or chainsaw
Unless you have FOMO or something you can do just fine with the bare minimum.

Im so conditioned to playing games using a map it feels incongruous without one but without a map I am using landmarks to navigate which is also fun and more challenging

So if I find the map thats fine but if I dont thats also fine

monilloman

Educated
the map is a nice to have but not necessarily a must. The world is really really small and has a lot of stuff that you can use as landmark such as the mountain, crater and beach.

Enjoy :salute:

Zombra

Patron
the map is a nice to have but not necessarily a must. The world is really really small and has a lot of stuff that you can use as landmark such as the mountain, crater and beach.
Note, my advice is not just about the map, but about the design of the game in general. If you go to things in the wrong order, or don't aggressively explore every possible area, you will miss out on critical systems or items. It's not like Valheim where the game will teach you gradually how to do things no matter how you explore.

In other words, don't think of it as an open world wilderness where you carve your own way - think of it as a dungeon where you have to map out every village and cave or you can't finish the game.

BruceVC

Magister
I am now 20 hours into the Forest so its a good amount of time for an objective view of the game.

Its great fun and I recommend it to people who like this type of genre which I classify as survival. I am using the map and compass because I dont want the hardcore experience which I can imagine is more rewarding but I am happy with my survival decision
I have started crafting useful items like a Bow and I have some effective range weapons like a bomb and Molotov Cocktail

I also have started exploring the dangerous cave system and encountered enemies that are more than cannibals ...in fact they more than human :o

I cant say I will definitely finish this game but I am having loads of fun and lots of scary moments :cool:

BruceVC

Magister
Im 80 hours into The Forest and Im still having lots of fun. I have started creating my own "camps " that include rabbit breeding cages, gardens and I even have a tree-house that I can rest in without being attacked by the stinking cannibals

Great survival game :salute:

BruceVC

Magister
I completed this game after about 105 hours and it easily scores a 70/100 on the globally respected " BruceVC game rating system "

In the interests of full disclosure I did " cheat " and use console commands at the end but only right at the end. Once I used the hang glider to fly into the sinkhole I found that their were not any trees to get branches from so I couldn't save my game strategically in the final cave system accessed through the pool in the sinkhole

So I used the console to spawn branches and some food in the final mission

But its a great survival game and I definitely recommend it

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom