Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Horizon Zero Dawn - open world action-RPG from Guerilla Games - now on PC

sullynathan

Arcane
Why don't you have a pro?
I have. This piece of shit heats af. One of the reasons - no vsync. Plus i was lucky to get model with the worst fan. It's jetting almost all the time. Especially in some menus where this garbage tries to give you 500+ fps.
And i thought that 3do was not very good purchase.

As for HZD - it's very boring. If you looked at it and thought "hmm is it kinda like assassin's creed", yes it is. Maaaybe a little better. In comparison. The best thing is sound. That's it.
Pro is extremely loud. Best thing about horizon is combat.

Reader

Scholar
Combat?
Stealth in human camps is clunky and includes battling with camera angle.
Stealth flow on the fields: you shoot robodeer in the ass and all their pack like "who done that!!!". And then they search under every rock in like three miles around while you crouching away in a neighbour area.
Shooting includes desperate tries to hit very tiny spot on thrashing and spinning robot.
That combat?

Now I only made it to the desert.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
As for HZD - it's very boring. If you looked at it and thought "hmm is it kinda like assassin's creed", yes it is. Maaaybe a little better. In comparison. The best thing is sound. That's it.

If you mean the last couple Assassin's Creeds then it's basically Witcher 3 and Codexers should love it. :smug:

JDR13

Arcane

If you mean the last couple Assassin's Creeds then it's basically Witcher 3 and Codexers should love it. :smug:

So...I gather you haven't actually played them.

Quillon

Arcane
It looked like Far Cry to me when there were gameplay with UI for the first time :P

Doktor Best

Arcane
Witcher 3 is a storyfag game, so copying the game design with shit tier writing and quest design does not accomplish much.

In both regards, Witcher 3 is 2 to 3 school grades above every single Assassins Creed game.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Except the writing, characters, and quest design are not even remotely similar. So no...

First two don't matter when I'm comparing gameplay. I agree with you, but it doesn't make them significantly different games. As for quest design, they're both follow the marker with a mix of pressing F on stuff and combat. I think your memory plays tricks on you, since you prefer the story/writing.

Lots of FPS games have better stories and writing than other FPS games, but they're all still FPS games.

Zlaja

Arcane
Would make eating her ass a bit more difficult

developer_flag.png

JDR13

Arcane
Except the writing, characters, and quest design are not even remotely similar. So no...

First two don't matter when I'm comparing gameplay. I agree with you, but it doesn't make them significantly different games. As for quest design, they're both follow the marker with a mix of pressing F on stuff and combat. I think your memory plays tricks on you, since you prefer the story/writing.

Lots of FPS games have better stories and writing than other FPS games, but they're all still FPS games.

You didn't say gameplay in your original post. Seemed like you were comparing them in a more general way.

As far as following markers, etc, those are superficial comparisons at best considering how many games have those things in common.

Codex Year of the Donut

So...I gather you haven't actually played them.
Odyssey is very much like Wither 3 except with better itemization

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I wanted to write an outraged post about how AC Odissey and The Witcher 3 are completely different from a gameplay perspective, but I realize now that they are basically the same game. I guess the only difference is Gwent, uh.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Stealth in human camps is clunky and includes battling with camera angle.

Agreed, the human AI and combat is a major weak point in this game. It's meme-worthy.

Stealth flow on the fields: you shoot robodeer in the ass and all their pack like "who done that!!!". And then they search under every rock in like three miles around while you crouching away in a neighbour area.

Don't get this complaint... are you saying they shouldn't search for you if you attack them? The deer tend not to attack unless they have numbers IIRC.

Shooting includes desperate tries to hit very tiny spot on thrashing and spinning robot.

It becomes trivial when you unlock abilities that slow time and you get used to arrow trajectory etc.

Codex Year of the Donut
I wanted to write an outraged post about how AC Odissey and The Witcher 3 are completely different from a gameplay perspective, but I realize now that they are basically the same game. I guess the only difference is Gwent, uh.
Why is it surprising?
First Witcher 3 copied the Ubisoft formula, then Ubisoft copied the Witcher 3 formula back.

Reader

Scholar
are you saying they shouldn't search for you if you attack them?
Well it is the question 'how smart AI in games should be' again.
In Thief games you can extinguish the torch with water arrow. With specific splash sound. And still the guards have no idea what happened and throw out their suspicions very fast.
Is it realistic? No. Is The Thief a bad game? I think it's great.
Answering your question - i think that robots are searching for you too thoroughly for stealth being enjoyable.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
You didn't say gameplay in your original post. Seemed like you were comparing them in a more general way.

As far as following markers, etc, those are superficial comparisons at best considering how many games have those things in common.

I mainly just enjoy pointing out that while lots of Codexers shit all over Assassin's Creed Origins and games like this, The Witcher 3 is the 15th best RPG of all time according to our poll. If the argument is that Witcher 3 has better story and writing, then yes of course it does, but the gameplay is pretty much the same. Therefore Codex is either full of story fags (hmmm I wonder what our number one game is?) or they enjoy open world marker hunts as much as the Playstation bros do.

Either way, Horizon isn't something that should be dismissed on spec because "it's like Assassin's Creed."

JDR13

Arcane

I mainly just enjoy pointing out that while lots of Codexers shit all over Assassin's Creed Origins and games like this, The Witcher 3 is the 15th best RPG of all time according to our poll. If the argument is that Witcher 3 has better story and writing, then yes of course it does, but the gameplay is pretty much the same. Therefore Codex is either full of story fags (hmmm I wonder what our number one game is?) or they enjoy open world marker hunts as much as the Playstation bros do.

Either way, Horizon isn't something that should be dismissed on spec because "it's like Assassin's Creed."

That might make more sense if basic mechanics and the story were the sum of what makes a game. I'm pretty sure there are other things that influnce people though like the soundtrack, atmosphere, the setting, etc.

Anyways, I don't see Horizon being much like AC either. I'll know soon enough since I preordered it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom