Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Is Aerie from BG2 underage?

Vatnik Wumao
The butthurt ratings parade in response to this post is proof that Codex is full of lanky, pasty-faced, studded leather jacket, greasy-haired metalheads who dated high school girls.
943.png

Generic-Giant-Spider

NO! Redheads are the plague of this world!!

Yeah yeah well that's cool and all but you know what Razor? I'd still MOTORBOAT THOSE TITTIES. WUBWUBWUBWUBWUBUWBUWUBWUBUWUBUWUB LIKE THAT. WUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUB.

If a ginger like that is devilspawn then PASS ME THE APPLE, BABY. I'MMA BITE IT GOOD.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
He's right though. CHARNAME is fairly young and nobody has a problem with the huge age gap in Jaheira's romance. Especially considering she was essentially his guardian after CHARNAME's foster father died.

I have a problem with it. Imagine banging your dead friend's wife, who's dead because of you.

My guide to BG2 romances is timeless and helpful to anybody playing the game:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/the-ethics-of-baldurs-gate-2-romances.127716/page-5#post-6144322

If you:

Romance Aerie -> you are a beta male white knight or Trad Chad
Romance Jaheira -> you are a piece of shit and possibly a psychopath
Romance Viconia -> you are an omega/gamma male cuck or Playboy Chad
Romance Aomen -> you are a faggot

I hope this clarifies every possible position on BG2 romances. If you have any more questions please post them below.

What if romance all three chicks and never talk to Aomen?

Delterius

Arcane
He's right though. CHARNAME is fairly young and nobody has a problem with the huge age gap in Jaheira's romance. Especially considering she was essentially his guardian after CHARNAME's foster father died.

I have a problem with it. Imagine banging your dead friend's wife, who's dead because of you.

My guide to BG2 romances is timeless and helpful to anybody playing the game:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/the-ethics-of-baldurs-gate-2-romances.127716/page-5#post-6144322

If you:

Romance Aerie -> you are a beta male white knight or Trad Chad
Romance Jaheira -> you are a piece of shit and possibly a psychopath
Romance Viconia -> you are an omega/gamma male cuck or Playboy Chad
Romance Aomen -> you are a faggot

I hope this clarifies every possible position on BG2 romances. If you have any more questions please post them below.

What if romance all three chicks and never talk to Aomen?
at least help anomen die so the world is a better place

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
"SHE WAS ONLY 99 YEARS OLD YOU SICK FUCK"

Elves can life up to 1200 years. So assuming 80 years old as the human age, she is like a 6~8 yo children in human age. So, everyone who romanced her on BG2... She is bellow the age of concent in 99% of our world.

The main advantage of elves is the slow aging. However, vampire brides NEVER ages and a vampire bride will ALWAYS be loyal towards her master.

Sadly, BG3 will have a vampire spawn companion but no option to become a vampire...
She doesn't look like a 6-8 years old human. She looks like a girl in his 20s. Because elves age fairly normally until a certain age, then they stop at their peak and stay there for a long time. So no, she wasn't underage in any way. It's not like they remain a toddler for 20 years, then remain a small child for 50 years.

Codex Year of the Donut
"SHE WAS ONLY 99 YEARS OLD YOU SICK FUCK"

Elves can life up to 1200 years. So assuming 80 years old as the human age, she is like a 6~8 yo children in human age. So, everyone who romanced her on BG2... She is bellow the age of concent in 99% of our world.

The main advantage of elves is the slow aging. However, vampire brides NEVER ages and a vampire bride will ALWAYS be loyal towards her master.

Sadly, BG3 will have a vampire spawn companion but no option to become a vampire...
She doesn't look like a 6-8 years old human. She looks like a girl in his 20s. Because elves age fairly normally until a certain age, then they stop at their peak and stay there for a long time. So no, she wasn't underage in any way. It's not like they remain a toddler for 20 years, then remain a small child for 50 years.
The argument always was "is she mentally an adult?" which is much harder to classify.
But my opinion is that if you're old enough to go around killing dragons, you're old enough to handle a relationship.

Lambach

Arcane
"sorry aerie, you're old enough to be a master cleric and mage plus go around killing dragons, exploring the underdark, foiling plots by evil gods, etc., but you aren't mature enough to enter into a relationship"

Odd that Lacrymas has such a Kwan-tier mentality. Reminds me of "Sorry, lad, you're old to enough to be shipped off halfway across the world to get shot at, but not old enough to legally have a beer".

Vatnik Wumao
"sorry aerie, you're old enough to be a master cleric and mage plus go around killing dragons, exploring the underdark, foiling plots by evil gods, etc., but you aren't mature enough to enter into a relationship"

Odd that Lacrymas has such a Kwan-tier mentality. Reminds me of "Sorry, lad, you're old to enough to be shipped off halfway across the world to get shot at, but not old enough to legally have a beer".
Lacrymas is pretty much a SJW lite in mentality.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
If that is what you call not being a douchebag, sure. I know 18-year-olds are basically children and I see them as such, there are plenty of people my age and older.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The argument always was "is she mentally an adult?" which is much harder to classify.
But my opinion is that if you're old enough to go around killing dragons, you're old enough to handle a relationship.

Straight from Greenwood:

I don’t think demihumans are sexually mature when they stop looking like children; I believe achieving puberty takes at least another 80 years, and possibly as much as 120.

The time ‘in between’ being truly human and being sexually mature is the time in which demihumans start to grow up socially. So an elf or dwarf between, say, 20 and 100 can’t become pregnant or impregnate anyone, and so can sexually ‘play’ free of some social responsibilities. At the same time, they are dominated by surging hormones (and hence, mood swings), and are especially susceptible to all sorts of diseases (which they inevitably catch, and conquer). Also, during this long onset of puberty, their bones are still hardening, and in soft state lack some strength that saves them from breakages in some calamities, but also robs them of some accuracy that they’ll master later.

For elves and halflings, this prolonged adolescence is dominated, for most but not all individuals (so a PC adventurer could well be one of the exceptions, if desired) by judged-by-most-humans-as-wildly-frivolous-or-silly play, leading to an inability to stick with any one task or even pressing need for long (no attention span, a seeming complete inability to take consequences or impending disaster seriously).

For dwarves and gnomes, adolescence is dominated by a fierce, exploring independence that leads the younglings to be stubborn, proud, difficult, bad ‘team-players,’ and prone to racing off on quests or solo explorations.

Perhaps “ungovernable” is a good term to describe both the elves and dwarves. Isolated or in conditions of war or flight, they will, yes, be forced to ‘grow up’ or perish, but in terms of being trainable to specific skills (represented in the game by class abilities, skills, and feats) - - no, that comes later, at different rates for each individual. This is probably best simulated by having a favourite hobby or pastime (such as acrobatics, or archery, or a skill at identifying metals or the rocks that hold metallic ores) being mastered in this adolescence, leading to proper skills later.

This DOESN’T mean that every adolescent demihuman is a hopeless, helpless, dithering [and pouting or flipping out whenever spoken to or guided] crazy - - it just means that they’re unreliable, and can’t muster the drive to master any one thing. Unlike humans, they’re so rapt (lost) in experiencing the world and absorbing their cultures (song, dance, playing musical instruments, the lore of aeons, forge-craft, knowing stone by smell - taste - texture, divining directions underground and where water is, lineages and feuds and tribal tales, etc.) that they master everything a tiny bit at a time, not one skill and then another.

By the time 250 to 300 years of age is reached, demihumans are masters of their own bodies, world-view and awareness, and so can begin to acquire task skills (classes) and at the same time have a natural restlessness stirring that goads them into having the sort of personal drive, patience, and foresight that humans have (and that their own elders just go on developing more and more of, until death). This in turn makes them want to accomplish things, have adventures (as opposed to playing games) and so on.

In short, if an elf lass escapes from slavery at age eight to wander alone - - yes, she has no one to play with, and a need to master feeding herself and keeping herself safe, so she would ‘grow up’ pretty quickly (WITHOUT all the ‘lore of the People’ that an elf growing up far more slowly, with other elves, would possess). If the same escaped elf lass was found very swiftly by elves who took her in and raised her in an elf society, she’d mature more slowly with all of the usual play and blithe merriment.

Aerie can get pregnant in Throne of Bhaal, and she also qualifies as someone who had to grow up pretty quickly (though she's still full of immature mood swings in Shadows of Amn).

Clearly we should call this the CHARNAME/Aerie quantum sexual maturity uncertainty principle. Aerie is deemed mature and able to be sexed, but only if you don't actually sex her and she is forced to grow up on her on without support. If you do sex her she is now a kid again who wholly relies on you for every trivial issue she has, so she's not mature enough.

Johannes

Arcane
If that is what you call not being a douchebag, sure. I know 18-year-olds are basically children and I see them as such, there are plenty of people my age and older.
Bullshitz. You're not that old either and there's only two other options, both of whom are way older than you.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I'm not going to read this entire thread and I haven't played BG2 past the moment you meet Aerie, but to put it bluntly: being "underage" is a matter of maturity. You don't judge the maturity of an elf by comparing it to human years ("if she has lived 5% of the elf lifespan, she's a child").

Johannes

Arcane
I'm not going to read this entire thread and I haven't played BG2 past the moment you meet Aerie, but to put it bluntly: being "underage" is a matter of maturity. You don't judge the maturity of an elf by comparing it to human years ("if she has lived 5% of the elf lifespan, she's a child").
Clearly she is very fertile

Imagine a human and an elf growing up in some village and experiencing the same things, but the human insists he's more mature because he gets wrinkles earlier.

human-m4.png
Bah! When I was your age, we had to walk two hours in the snow to get to school!

elf-f1.png
I'm 83. We went to school together, retard.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Clearly she is very fertile

If she's hairy it's no felony.

Unwanted

Ataraxia

Unwanted
Yes OP Aerie is underage.

That just makes her romance even hotter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom