Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sir-tech's Fable

Been doing some casual investigation of the general state of Abandonware games in 2020, and I came across this game which I have somehow never heard of: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fable_(1996_video_game)

Not sure quite how I missed it, guess my interest in point and clicks had started to wane and I was more interested in shooters and rts/tbs at the time, but the screenshots of it are pretty gorgeous, and I'm a total sucker for anything that has to do with mashing up different cultures folklore/mythology. So is it any good?

Apologies if there's already a thread about this, couldn't find one; turns out when you search "rpgcodex" and "sir-tech" together there's really only one thread that ever pops up, regardless of other conditionals. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Unkillable Cat Sceptic Jaesun MRY

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I saw it a while back, though long after release, and found its art style unappealing. Never gave it a try. Tho, looking again, not quite sure why Inwas so hostile.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I faintly remember seeing the box cover art in magazine adverts at the time, but otherwise have zero experience with it.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Wasn't this the Fable that ended on a cliffhanger or was that another different Fable game?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I know of the game, and I remember being massively confused when Molyneux's homonymous game came out. Unfortunately I either knew nothing about it or don't remember anything, none of the screenshots brought back any memory.

I'm pretty sure I never owned a physical copy of the game, but I downloaded a LOT of oldies from Underground Gamer when they were a thing, and from Home of the Underdogs before that, a long, long time ago. I'll have a look and see if I find it (and if I can get it to work)

Gonchi

Liturgist
Codex USB, 2014
I also own it, it's a game I'm not sure I'd recommend to anyone but a devout fan of the genre. It's not overly terrible or anything, just not particularly good either. It's somewhat of a poor man's Discworld in that it does the whole satire of fantasy tropes and tries its damnedest to be funny but the humor is very hit and miss. The background art is by far its best attribute, nice tome-like box too, looks quite pretty on the shelf. I'd say if you were to stumble over it cheap while thrifting, pick it up, but don't go out of your way for it either, you're not missing anything.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Wasn't this the Fable that ended on a cliffhanger or was that another different Fable game?

It's not really a cliffhanger, but the ending is incredibly abrupt and its a bad ending. I know the north american version added a *happy ending*, but I've never played it.

Fond memories of the game and its edgy, unapologetic humor. Might play it again one of these days.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom