Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
this game will unironically be better than poe1 or 2

It won't because it is not isometric or turn-based. Say what you want about PoE and PoE 2, but I enjoyed them greatly because they were isometric and I was starved for these kind of games (and PoE 2 also has a turn-based mode). I won't mind playing Avowed, but this is not what I want from Obsidian.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

It is actually very much possible that it will be more "entertaining" in some ways inspite the nature of it as an "action RPG". They can't get much drier than PoE's.

That is, if they manage to broaden the intrigue of the gameplay somehow from the basic fourmula of talk-walk-kill rinse and repeat.

Last edited:
The Real Fanboy

They kept calling the Steel Garrotes 'Steel Galantes'
GgOPIH2.png

Unwanted

OrcHeart

Unwanted
I hope the AI actually responds to my attacks appropriately. Outer Worlds had mediocre melee but at least the enemies were slightly staggering to the left or right depending on the direction of my attacks. I also hope they add a kicking mechanic

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Few people updated their Linkedin profiles since. Nothing much but provide some hints to development timeline.

Codex's favorite Justin Bell: https://www.linkedin.com/in/justinbellaudio/

Avowed
Jan 2020 – Present

https://www.linkedin.com/in/scottvgilmore/

Senior Audio Designer
Full-time
Dates Employed Oct 2019 – Present
Employment Duration 11 mos
Location Irvine, California, United States

∙ In-game sound design, foley and sound effects recording
∙ Audio asset implementation and mixing using Wwise and Unreal
∙ Supporting audio tools and pipeline development

Currently working on Avowed

https://www.linkedin.com/in/pearlyko/

UX Designer

Company Name Obsidian Entertainment Full-time
Dates Employed Sep 2019 – Present
Employment Duration 1 yr
Location Irvine

– Leading the UX & UI team on Obsidian’s next AAA game, Avowed, by providing research-driven strategy, defining vision and best practices, collaborating across departments, and creating designs for interfaces, user flows, and information architecture.
– Advocating studio-wide accessibility practices so we can deliver the best gameplay experiences for players around the world.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Few people updated their Linkedin profiles since. Nothing much but provide some hints to development timeline.

Avowed
Jan 2020 – Present

Senior Audio Designer
Full-time

UX Designer

Employment Duration 1 yr
Location Irvine

– Leading the UX & UI team on Obsidian’s next AAA game, Avowed, by providing research-driven strategy, defining vision and best practices, collaborating across departments, and creating designs for interfaces, user flows, and information architecture.
– Advocating studio-wide accessibility practices so we can deliver the best gameplay experiences for players around the world.

It doesn't say he is doing the soundtrack... :bounce:

Sherry

Arcane
Hi!

gosh. Gosh. GOSH!

It is so nice to see a thread already at twenty-nine pages of comments and excitement for the new upcoming Obsidian game currently in development set in the rich and highly-detailed world of Eora from the best selling Pillars of Eternity franchise! :hug:

But like wtf right is up with that arrow in the opening sequence of the trailer as it is shot and flies upward through a number of clouds and darts around a bird and over a mountain ledge to hit a skeleton the archer could not even have possibly seen from his perch on the castle wall it was like a missile guided by computer and an arrow at that distance hitting its target may also mean that you cannot create a female character because that is a far distance for that arrow to fly and that would mean that the strength required to pull back on a composite long bow could only be done by a male right? Oh and knowing Josh is not even going to be giving his input on the design of the world and its lore or anything to do with his own personal creation is a punch in the gut he did not deserve so I hope he feels better about it and cointues to remain positive. :cry:

My character is going to be a Wood Elf ranged stealth archer that crits from the shadows.

Thanks,
Sherry

Quillon

Arcane
My character is going to be a Wood Elf

I wonder if there'll be playable aumauas, dwarfs & orlans in this first person game, could be weird if the cam is too high/low, maybe. Are there other FP RPGs with playable races with this much height difference?

barghwata

Savant

It won't because it is not isometric or turn-based. Say what you want about PoE and PoE 2, but I enjoyed them greatly because they were isometric and I was starved for these kind of games (and PoE 2 also has a turn-based mode). I won't mind playing Avowed, but this is not what I want from Obsidian.

No thanks, i would rather have a decent popamole 3D rpg then a shitty ismetric one.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
I wonder if there'll be playable aumauas, dwarfs & orlans in this first person game, could be weird if the cam is too high/low, maybe. Are there other FP RPGs with playable races with this much height difference?

Generaly i hate to play short race but if Orlans are playable race in Avowed i would totally play them (and Moon Godlike after it). Especialy if they maitain like Racial Checks for dialogue. They could go for a very unique level design. Dwarfs and Orlans could go into small holes betwen walls or hide better.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
iIEESMS.png

Absolute braindead scum, you are allowed to like EXACTLY three things: Jagged Alliance 2, Fallout and Baldur's Gate 1. You can also have fun with Temple of Elemental Evil, but don't exaggerate.

How. Fucking. DARE you neglect Icewind Dale!
She doesn't talk enough about Icewind Dale, I don't know if we are allowed to like it.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Avowed
Jan 2020 – Present

Senior Audio Designer
Full-time

UX Designer

Employment Duration 1 yr
Location Irvine

I don't really see many hints for the development timeline here at all.

All three of those can go in later on or whenever depending on needs must.

Seems to be still very early in development.

None of those positions are required early on at all. In fact, sound is probably the thing you can put off the best.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Anyone who uses the word toxic is a dumb retarded cunt who spends their entire lives interacting with bugmen on twitter, or interacting with bugmen IRL on college campuses.
The caliphate can't come soon enough.

On-topic, it is actually pretty ingenious of Obsidian to muscle in on Bethesda's schtick. Half the reason why TES and Fallout got so popular is because no one else was doing first person open world RPGs.
Payback for metacritic shennanigans for NV?

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Whether GTA, Red Dead, Fallout or Elder Scrolls franchise, they are all being strangled by their evil retarded online twin brother

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom