Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex's true top game

There can only be one. Pick your favorite.

• Total voters

overly excitable young man

Fallout 1, wins with a dick of an ant. Close second is PST obviously.
And so the divide between combatfags and storyfags was born.
Fallout has AMAZING combat! I always come back for the combat in Fallout!

Fallout has shit combat and anyone who plays it for anything other then its writing, immersion and reactivity is an idiot, fight me.
This was meant to be a hyperbole but when i reread the codex Top 10 Fallout 1/2 are together with Gothic 2 easily the games with the best combat.
Even when in reality their combat is at max mediocre.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Those are all good games, but Gothic 2 is obviously the best one among them.

overly excitable young man

When you vote for Fallout 2 on this poll you are a traitor anyway.
Everything should be done to stop PST from being numero uno yet again.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
PST, naturally.

I did my duty and voted the same
vjSOyoH.png

Finally we have a proper way to find out which users are real role-playing RPG games connoisseurs. :obviously:

waken

Educated
I would say it has mediocre combat, but yeah, the writing, immersion and C&C is why I play it.
Same, but if we're comparing PST and FO, there's no debate about which has the best combat.

What is the best combatfag RPG though? Not one in the poll would qualify. TOEE? KOTC?

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Planescape Torment. A good-path playthrough cheers me up without fail. There are so many high moments in PST, and I can think of few games that elicit that same degree of emotion/response for me.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Where the fuck is Prelude to Darkness?
Indeed. If there ever was a game that embodies Codex, it's PTD. Chaotic, unique, weird - and ultimately prestigious.
And almost unplayble due to bugs... just as Codex then?

I vote Jagged Alliance 2.
If i had to vote from the list of decline that is Codex' top 10 i'd go with one of the Fallouts. Probably the 2nd one.

vazha

Arcane
I'd not go as far as to say it has "a few crashes", esp on newer systems, but its still so worth your time, countless reloads or not. A gentleman's rpg, that one.

P.s. That mad inventor quest right at the beginning of the game - I'll be damned if it doesnt blow any bioware & troika & younameit game's every quest out of water. So delightfully self-deprecating.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Where the fuck is Prelude to Darkness?
Indeed. If there ever was a game that embodies Codex, it's PTD. Chaotic, unique, weird - and ultimately prestigious.
And almost unplayble due to bugs...
What were the bugs that made it unplayable? I've got a few crashes, but other than that it was fine.
Nothing made it unplayable. I wrote "almost unplayable". And yes i meant the crashes but saying that those crashes are "few" sounds like a joke to me. However it's possible that it varies significantly from person to person and that you were more lucky. Or more persistent. Glad that you were able to enjoy it but that can't be said about everyone.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
The character building in PS:T puts it above the rest. I actually wanted to know more about the NPCs in that game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom