Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex's true top game

There can only be one. Pick your favorite.

• Total voters

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Fallout, Morrowind and Deus Ex are pretty much tied for my favorite. Today I picked Deus Ex, just because it was my impulse. Honestly though, Deus Ex is everything 3D games should strive to be. Open but linear in level design, gives the player tons of options, has a good story but focuses on gameplay above all else, excellent music and visual design despite shit graphics, cheesy (intentionally or not) and serious at the right times, RPG enough to be an RPG despite being action and stealth focused. It's almost a perfect videogame.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
05.jpg

sanitary-podzemelij.html

This is what Cleve talked about.

Ulysa

Scholar
It's like having all these amazing adorable puppies and you love them all, but in an obscure part of your brain you know that Baldur's Gate II is the best good boy.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
>Doesn't include Grimoire
Congratulations, the poll is invalid.

The two most voted for titles
>Storyfag games

This place sucks.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Indeed. If there ever was a game that embodies Codex, it's PTD. Chaotic, unique, weird - and ultimately prestigious.
And shits in it's pants and falls with a stroke of crash into desktop when it's most inappropriate. Truly a game you have to kneel before and be merciful like Jesus at the same time, like an old sage with dementia and faulty health. It's not in the poll so FNV takes the cake as the most feature complete out of the bunch.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
You are lucky felipepe did not noticed this thread.

He would do anonymous voting on another site and then claim that some random ass game is the codex's top game.

And if you poor bastards voted wrong then he would massage the votes and the counting procedure.

Alex

Arcane
I voted for Fallout. I love Planescape, but at the end of the day, it is actually rather linear. It is a lot of fun to explore it, mind you, and it does world building really well, being matched only by Ultima before it. However, the problem is that it is limited by its own focus on its story. It is more concerned in presenting a cool story and setting to the player than letting him interact with it.

Fallout, Fallout 2 and Arcanum, on the other hand, present the player with a real interactive world. One where your decisions do have an amount of consequence. There is a lot of care in making sure there is more than one way to approach each problem and the player is rewarded for paying attention to the world and attempting different things. Of these, I would say Fallout 2 was a bit weaker than the others, for while it inherited a lot of design from Fallout 1, it seemed a bit watered down, with a lesser focus on giving the player options just like the 50s science fiction setting of the original was a bit watered down as well.

Arcanum probably had the best world building of them all, with some quests being approachable from basically anywhere. There was, I think, a greater emphasis in making the world seem real and interactive, rather than simply the backdrop of a story. Unfortunately, it also had several flaws... I don't even mean (just) the combat. The whole game system was a bit clunky and several of the possible paths for the main character just don't really work. So, while I love Arcanum, I think all of its flaws do end up pulling it down a little... or a lot.

Fallout has lots of flaws as well, of course. But at the end of the day, it is still a lot of fun to play. There are lots of things to find in the game, a whole lot of great characterization, the focus on the old science fiction is spot on without being tongue in cheek and, in one of its most balsy moves, it actually makes time an important resource. So, my vote goes to Fallout.

Vatnik Wumao
You are lucky felipepe did not noticed this thread.

He would do anonymous voting on another site and then claim that some random ass game is the codex's top game.

And if you poor bastards voted wrong then he would massage the votes and the counting procedure.
Trashtalking comrade felipepepe behind his back? Not cool, brah.

Kliwer

Savant
I have voted for BG2.
I know it could be a controversial opinion. But I think that BG2 has the most important cRPG features and all of them are realized in a mediocre-to-good way. Yes, PST has better story, dialogues, worldbuilding, reactivity – but also shit combat, weak magic system, weak itemization, only 3 classes to choose for a main hero…
Duel BG2 vs PST would be a question: do you value more something that is brilliant in one aspects and lame in others; or do you prefer something what is just ok all around. I prefer the second option.
I think that Fallout 2 is also a good answer, however I do not like post-apocalyptic setting. Plus I think that fights in Fallout 2 are even more boring than in PST (turn-based system where you could control only one party member? Nonsense.)

Maxie

the vast majority of this website chose PST despite it not even being a game
no true real actual unironic poll will be able to redeem this travesty
the fact that even in this true(...)poll it scores so many votes is testament to the simple fact that RPG is a genre for dimwits

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom