Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obscure RPGs that are up there with the best

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I was wondering if you guys know any RPGs, that are barely known on the market, yet they are fantastic games. I'm not looking for games which are cult classics, I'm curious about the ones which are truly HIDDEN gems.

Falksi

Arcane
No fucker other than me ever mentions......

15880-summoner-2-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg

It's flat out fucking brilliant. :5/5:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Teudogar and the alliance with Rome. A brilliant Ultima 7 style RPG in a fresh historical setting (ancient Germania) that used to be much more popular around these parts, but now is only talked about in this thread (even creator of Teudogar's graphics came to say hi!).

Play it. It's freeware now. And good people of RPG Codex even found a way to run it under Windows 10.

(No box photo, I'm not sure there was ever a box, even when the game was sold by the developper).

octavius

Arcane
Patron

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Didn't we just have another thread just like this?

Ah yes, here we are:
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/good-less-talked-about-rpgs.134020/

And there's also this:
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/most-underrated-rpgs-on-the-codex.134229/

As for "truly hidden gems" maybe Wizardry Chronicle? According to aweigh
this is 100%, absolutely, by far, inarguably, no contest, without-a-doubt... the single rarest Wiz game ever developed.

But it's too diffucult for J_C anyway.
We need three of these threads, becaues as a hungarian saying goes: Three is the Hungarian Truth!

Codex Year of the Donut
Templar Battleforce, strategy RPG by Trese brothers.
It's one of the best WH40k games despite not even being WH40k. Steam screenshots really undersell it.

like all Trese brothers games, it still gets regular updates despite being released half a decade ago

Falksi

Arcane
No fucker other than me ever mentions......

15880-summoner-2-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg

It's flat out fucking brilliant. :5/5:
I've only heared about the first Summoner. Is sequel better than the original?

IMO a thousand times better. Original is steady enough and worth playing, but this is an improvement in every way.

I'd try the original first, but if it's doing your nut in too much don't be afraid to dump it & move on to this. This is a great game in it's own right.

Ysaye

Arbiter
"Up there with the best" is way too subjective, but a game that IMO was comparable with the best RPGs of it's time but that has fallen into relative obscurity is The Magic Candle (Mindcraft, 1989). I say obscurity because whilst there are people on this board who remember it, compared to say the Gold Box games of that time period, or Ultima V which are all available on GOG, you would do well to find a copy of this game. Magic Candle brings together similar combat elements to those in the Gold Box games, but brings a greater exploration component more akin to Ultima IV or V, with simulation management elements more akin to the Realms of Arkania games. It is not a perfect game but the original game and the 2 sequels are worthy of not being comparatively forgotten.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Dink Smallwood is better than Diablo 2, because I've finished Dink at least 4 times but never got beyond chapter 2-3 in Diablo 2 (it's boring).

SdaI6it.jpg

Codex Year of the Donut
Dink Smallwood is better than Diablo 2, because I've finished Dink at least 4 times but never got beyond chapter 2-3 in Diablo 2 (it's boring).

SdaI6it.jpg
The devs released the code and assets under a free license, this still gets regular updates btw.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Obscure games can be at most "underrated gems", but being among the best it's just asking too much, there's a reason why they're obscure to begin with and lack of marketing investment or bad release date (dying platform) it's not often the only reason.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom