Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
btw i've been wondering why it's like 4 months post ikoria release and I still can't get the card style for my favorite card,
Image.ashx

and now I just realize that art was made by noah bradley
of fucking course I guess I'll never get a card style for my favorite card because the artist was a raper or whatever
god damn't

Pretty solid bans all around. T3feri's a massive pain, wilderness rec's a pain, and cat is a nightmare to play and play against in digital as well as one of (If not the) biggest cockblock to non-trample aggro, so that's nice.

Edit: Well shit. Here's a tough Jumpstart pick in a good way. Angels, Lightning, or Rogues. Angels is kind of a 50/50 because Linvala and Serra's Guardian is sort of a dud while Baneslayer's probably solid. Lightning gets a slight bonus because I haven't got that land, but I'm a little leery on phoenix and/or serpent as far as historic burn decks go. And rogues has a guaranteed Thieves' Guild Enforcer which is a cool card and even dovetails with my beloved mill.

Last edited:

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
how's this dimir deck look?

Deck
4 Thought Erasure (GRN) 206
8 Swamp (RTR) 260
3 Sinister Sabotage (GRN) 54
1 Negate (RIX) 44
3 Heartless Act (IKO) 91
3 Murderous Rider (ELD) 97
3 Thassa's Intervention (THB) 72
2 Erebos's Intervention (THB) 94
3 Ashiok, Nightmare Muse (THB) 208
2 Liliana, Dreadhorde General (WAR) 97
3 Cry of the Carnarium (RNA) 70
3 Atris, Oracle of Half-Truths (THB) 209
3 Shark Typhoon (IKO) 67
3 Brazen Borrower (ELD) 39
4 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
2 Castle Vantress (ELD) 242
2 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241
8 Island (JMP) 50

Sideboard
1 Murderous Rider (ELD) 97
1 Cry of the Carnarium (RNA) 70
2 Duress (M20) 97
2 Negate (RIX) 44
3 Aether Gust (M20) 42
1 Ritual of Soot (GRN) 84
1 Eat to Extinction (THB) 90
2 Essence Scatter (IKO) 49
2 Noxious Grasp (M20) 110

wondering if I should just put aether gust in the mainboard because green just really ruins my day if they curve out.. Maybe cut erebos intervention (even tho it's pretty damn good gust may be better). idk guys haven't played dimir in forever this is my first attempt at building a deck

spectre

Arcane
It looks a bit vanilla, I mean, not bad for a control shell, but nothing terribly exciting in there. Immediately makes me want to add red for Nico Bolo, maybe Kroxa shenanigans (e.g. the Lazav combo).
I'd say, before you do anything else, up the land count to 26. if you want to play control, gotta have the land count to pull it. Just add two Blast Zones and you're solid. It's great interaction for 1-2 color decks.
I'm also not terribly sure about sharknado as a win condition without any ramping to make it shine, I think you mostly might be using it to eke out some minor card advantage through cycling and killing a guy.

Good to see you going for Bo3, a few comments on the SB - you probably want an Extinction Event somewhere in there. Enter the God Eternals is rotating soon, but it was a good card for stabilizing vs. aggro.
I would expect mono red, white, green and black aggros to be popular, so maybe you want some more catch all answers rather than grasps and gusts. I'm finding that an even split of Eliminates and Heartless Acts
does the trick.
With Magic Negro gone, I would expect people flock back to flash counter-fucking-everything strategies. Blast Zone will give you some edge, but you may also want 3-4x Mystical Disputes in the SB.

The biggest problem I've always had with these colors was closing the game decisively. Sure, leave the sharknado, big lilly or ashiok on board for a few turns and you're done.
If you want to play a more discard-focused game for a change, Vantress Gargoyles and Drown in the Loch are the cards to look into. I would replace Sabotages with Didn't Say Please to have them go online faster.
See a few pages back for our UB flash collaborative effort. Tbh, it was the most success I've had in this color combination, though that's a midrange/tempo thing and it was before the major bans.

cat is a nightmare to play and play against in digita
i guess you havent experienced that infinite kethis self mill
Oh I have, and it's a pain in the ass too no doubt. It's just a bit less common than the cat and is usually more one turn of prolonged going off as opposed to "I am going to drag this game out 10+ minutes more just dealing with all my cat triggers".

Edit: Son of a bitch, got an elves packet and it's another Allosaurus Shepherd. PUNISHED COW, A MAN DENIED HIS CRATERHOOFS

Edit 2: Although I'm lousy with Teferi. On my third Teferi pack. Give me a goddamn Basri so I can get that final land you fuckers.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

I can play Standard without wanting to kill myself. That's a good thing.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
It looks a bit vanilla, I mean, not bad for a control shell, but nothing terribly exciting in there. Immediately makes me want to add red for Nico Bolo, maybe Kroxa shenanigans (e.g. the Lazav combo).
I'd say, before you do anything else, up the land count to 26. if you want to play control, gotta have the land count to pull it. Just add two Blast Zones and you're solid. It's great interaction for 1-2 color decks.
I'm also not terribly sure about sharknado as a win condition without any ramping to make it shine, I think you mostly might be using it to eke out some minor card advantage through cycling and killing a guy.

Good to see you going for Bo3, a few comments on the SB - you probably want an Extinction Event somewhere in there. Enter the God Eternals is rotating soon, but it was a good card for stabilizing vs. aggro.
I would expect mono red, white, green and black aggros to be popular, so maybe you want some more catch all answers rather than grasps and gusts. I'm finding that an even split of Eliminates and Heartless Acts
does the trick.
With Magic Negro gone, I would expect people flock back to flash counter-fucking-everything strategies. Blast Zone will give you some edge, but you may also want 3-4x Mystical Disputes in the SB.

The biggest problem I've always had with these colors was closing the game decisively. Sure, leave the sharknado, big lilly or ashiok on board for a few turns and you're done.
If you want to play a more discard-focused game for a change, Vantress Gargoyles and Drown in the Loch are the cards to look into. I would replace Sabotages with Didn't Say Please to have them go online faster.
See a few pages back for our UB flash collaborative effort. Tbh, it was the most success I've had in this color combination, though that's a midrange/tempo thing and it was before the major bans.

yea good ideas I was thinking 24 lands may be too low for this. and I totally forgot that extinction event was even a card! much better than ritual of soot phew. I cut a sharknado and both the erebos interventions and added in 2 extinction events to the main, then swapped some things in the sideboard.

You're right tho it is kinda vanilla but it feels really smooth to play so far, and it's a nice feeling after fucking around with all my goofy 3+ color decks, especially in this standard where I really don't want to be running tap lands. Plus, Lily and Ashiok are just fun as heck to play. We'll see how this does as I climb ladder I guess

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
am i alone in thinking that extinction event is shit?

I kinda like it, it's just that black as a colour is going nowhere atm.
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/format-staples/standard/full/lands
Swamp not in the top 10 most played lands is bad news.

4 mana is a good rate for a board clear, but it is very conditional. Exiling is hot tho.
I think odd and even decks use it occasionally? When using it for the one they are not playing themselves they are immune, if not it's almost just a normal boardwipe.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Ikoria+Lair+of+Behemoths/Extinction+Event#paper
Definitly overhyped from a price point tho, crashed from 8 bucks to half a dollar.

Reported for doggy farming
Gotta admit, normally in Jumpstart I get my 2 ICRs and then resign and take a new deck to keep farming rares, but the unstoppable doggy rape machine's sorta fun. Might keep playing it until the 6th just to ease back on the gold spending to see what the Amonkhasetu news is. :shittydog:

WIZZADS released state of the game today so I dunno if they're going to do the AMonhgkeaty remastered info on the 6th or not, but confirmed that it will be in boosters, have limited (Sealed/draft), and regular card crafting. And they say "The focus is on creating an interesting, repeatable limited player experience" which fuck knows what that means. Also info on rotation 'cause why not. On the 13th we'll have standard 2021 matchmaking to make Ravnica and WAR fuck off sooner.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/mtg-arena-state-game-august-2020-04

And then just because it cracks me up, 9-0 with dogs dogs. :shittydog:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom