Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Worst RPGs All Time?

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
In theory this is a great idea, but in practice, some mediocre to good games are going to dominate the list because some people found them boring. I don't see real shit like Psionics (1993) or YIIK getting on the list that much.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I've surely never played the worst RPGs ever, but the worst ones I've put time into... maybe Dragon Age 2? It has some story merit here and there, but it's so poorly made in every way. Bioware's not even fully at fault since EA made them pump it out in a year. It's probably the most compromised and obviously rushed "AAA" RPG I can think of.

Oblivion and Fallout 3 are obvious disappointments, as was Risen 2, but I wouldn't say they're as flawed as Dragon Age 2. Oblivion's writing and quest design are pathetic but at least it feels like a game people developed into a finished project.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
My definition of worst would be something that I couldn't even get to the half-way (or even quarter or eighth-way) point because I found it so bad or tedious so it's always bizarre to me that people call something like Fallout 3 or Oblivion the worst when it's obvious they've played them to the end (and probably all DLCs too). So, with that criteria in mind, I'd have to list Planescape Torment among my personal worst since I didn't get past the 1/4 point due to tedium.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
It's probably not the worst CRPG of all time, but Final Fantasy VII still managed to create the most massive brain damage that I could observe in the CRPG crowd.

Kliwer

Savant
The objective worst is going to be some Janky late 80s-early 90s things with faulty Real Time like Menzoberran...

Nay. Menzo and other titles of this type are just medicore (I quite like Menzo, one of a few real-time blobbers which I tolerate). Still 10x better then Oblivion, Skyrim, Witcher 3, Dragon Age: I.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
pillars-of-eternity-ship-customization-combat-management-crew-navigation-naval-events-guide-re3.jpg

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Dragon Age 2, Oblivion, Fallout 3?
Guys, you're so fucking mainstream.

What about jewels like Mistmare? Pearls like Metalheart: Replicant's Rampage? Rubies such as Heath: the Unchosen Path? Sapphires like Gorasul: Legacy of the Dragon?

Filthy casuals. Codex, you dissapoint.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
I unironically love with all my heart PC version of Crusaders Of Might And Magic. It was so bad that it was awesome, I've played probably 200+ hours of it in 2000.

Yes, it is ARPG, but it was also the first Soulslike game! Also there were new enemies respawned in the old locations which is still quite a feature.

turok-2-i-crusaders-of-might-and-magic-poluchili-nabor-hd-tekstur-blagodarja-nejroseti-1.jpg

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Neverwinter Nights 1.

I would agree if the OC was its only content. But with so many quality modules that gave me hundreds of hours or fun (and I did not even touch Swordflight or Bastard of Kosignan) I honestly cannot.

And yet its combat system is so dull and tedious, its speed so slow, its lockpicking and trap disarming takes so long, that even the best modules are decreased in quality just by the mere fact that they run in the NWN 1 engine. Such a horrible, horrible piece of shit designed to be as tedious as humanly possible.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Dragon Age 2, Oblivion, Fallout 3?
Guys, you're so fucking mainstream.

What about jewels like Mistmare? Pearls like Metalheart: Replicant's Rampage? Rubies such as Heath: the Unchosen Path? Sapphires like Gorasul: Legacy of the Dragon?

Filthy casuals. Codex, you dissapoint.

The point is mainstream "cRPG" are by far the worst ones, i'm sure you can salvage hours of fun from most forgotten mediocre TB cRPG most of us never heard about.
Meanwhile, 10 minutes of DAI would trigger an epileptic seizure for most of us.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom