Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
2.8 Mio crazy! Just proves how desperate people are for new Open World Action RPGs.
Those are pretty small numbers for a 2020 release,the market had grown a lot since NV.

Avarize

Magister
But... will the DLC have quality romance like the base game? I long to know how that emotional rollercoster between Perverti and whatsherface continues! After all that running around to get her a dress. That turned out to be a suit because Obsidian apparently failed at coding a skirt.
Heh, we've come full circle actually. Obsidian bragged a lot about having robes in KOTOR2, something Bioware failed to archieve in KOTOR1. :hahano:

Or maybe a completely new progressive romance? We could hold the hand of... the guy on my ship I never talked to, while he awkwardly asks a scary spaceman of african descent for a date.
I am not calling Obsidian the new Bioware until they surpass the old one in the emoshunally engaging romance department. :obviously:
Bioware has already been surpassed because Obsidian's new protagonist is just an incel that helps other people to form relationships instead getting one of their own. Truly showing all cishet scum how to be good allies.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here's the transcript: https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-...nteractive-ttwo-q1-2021-earnings-call-tr.aspx

Private Division's critical and commercial success, The Outer Worlds, outperformed expectations in the first quarter and has now sold in 2.8 million units. On June 5, the title was released for Nintendo Switch.

On September 9, Private Division will release Peril on Gorgon, the first narrative expansion for their award-winning RPG, The Outer Worlds from Obsidian Entertainment.

In this expansion, players will discover a lawless den of monsters and marauders on the Gorgon Asteroid, and uncover a mystery that will change the Halcyon colony forever. Peril on Gorgon is the first of two narrative expansions that can be purchased individually or bundled at a discount in The Outer World's Expansion Pass.

Hah this guy seems to think Private Division are also publishing Grounded and Avowed ("Evolved"):

Brian Fitzgerald

Thanks, guys. At Xbox 2020 a couple of weeks ago, two weeks ago, we saw The Outer Worlds, Grounded Evolved. They look great, these are all Private Division titles. So, our question was around this.

Strauss, when you mentioned I think you said The Outer Worlds in the Switch was 2.8 million units already. How do you see Private Division aggregating up volumes over time? Lainie, I think you said, near term, it's going to hit 10%, that's Private Division and Social Point. So, how should we think about that metering out? Can it be, longer down the road, can it be a bigger percentage? And then the second part to that question was these titles seem to appeal maybe especially to the expanding demographic of gamers that are being pulled in the ecosystem. Can you give us any color or dynamics in terms of how types of players that are engaging with private label versus some of your other studios?

Strauss Zelnick

Well, thanks for your question. Just to clarify, Outer World is sold in 2.8 million units and it's across all platforms, and so far as recently made available for Switch. And we're very excited about it. Outer Worlds also has more content coming, and that's a very exciting opportunity.

We think the opportunity for Private Division to be a greater percentage of our overall net bookings is strong. And to state the obvious, it will all depend on the quality of the releases but they continue to sign up and announce great publishing arrangements with first-class independent developers. And so far, their track record is pretty extraordinary, which is amazing. In terms of the demographic to which they appeal, I think that's title by title.

I don't think there's anything in particular in their strategy that would either limit or expand the scope of their potential audience, except that their titles are created by developers who live outside of the big company system. And does that give them an opportunity to be perhaps more innovative and take more risk? Possibly. Although we pride ourselves on being the most innovative company across everything we do. So, it's a really good start.

We're incredibly proud of what the team has achieved so far, Private Division, and very optimistic about the future.

None of these callers think to ask if Take-Two is still the publisher for an Outer Worlds 2.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
The thing is at this point, I don't think Tim Cain and Leon Boyarski are even really running the show so much as acting as overall general guidance and greenlighting stuff if it meets certain criteria. They'll slap a guy like Josh down in a fucking heartbeat, no doubt. Much respect for them in that regard, making sure the right people get the right credit, etc.

But I'd love to see something of more of a direct hand, with Boyarski's real artistic genius showing through. Gotta remember, he was the guy Tim Cain gave credit for some of the more interesting artistic and aesthetic design decisions for Fallout, Arcanum, etc.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I do wonder how high sales would have of been if it had been on Steam all along. With my limited knowledge I'd put Steam in a similar position as Amazon: people will not buy it, if it's not listed there because they don't want to make yet another account somewhere. Or they simply are unaware it exists, because they don't see many ads outside their shop's recommendations.

Financially it was hopefully a better deal, but in regards to statistics, fame and rep... not so much.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The game will no doubt jump to the first place in sales for a while and during every sale afterwards because it suits the taste of the average Steam user perfectly, just like Skyrim.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
TOW is no GOAT, not by a large shot. But it still kicks Skyrims sorry ass anytime.

Ehhhh... does it though? I know Skyrim hate is a fun pastime for many here, but Outer Worlds isn't some amazing RPG either. It's certainly not New Vegas. TOW isn't as well written as Obsidian's previous stuff, and Skyrim's writing isn't as embarrassingly poor as Oblivion and Fallout 3's were. TOW has more stats and such, but do they really matter? You literally get 300 lockpicks, and sneaking relies on a camouflage item, and the combat is insanely easy even on hard mode. Skyrim is obviously larger, and has good bow combat and stealth along with inoffensive melee. Even the faction system in TOW amounts to little in the end.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Skyrim is played for the mods and the general faffing-about. In that regard, TOW utterly fails. But the plebs that use Steam don't know that yet.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.ign.com/articles/outer-worlds-peril-on-gorgon-gameplay

The Outer Worlds: Peril on Gorgon DLC Gets New Gameplay
The horrors of Adrena-Time.

The Outer Worlds: Peril on Gorgon has gotten new gameplay, showing new characters, locations and weapons.

In a new gameplay clip, we get a look at an early part of the Peril on Gorogn storyline, taking us to the Sprat Shack (a good spot to talk through the DLC's mysteries with locals), and the Gorgon Overlands.

We also see a new Science weapon, the Pest Extermination Tool, able to use grav-plating to pull enemies towards the pointy end of your weapon. Check out all that and more in the video below:

Set on an asteroid and featuring a noir-inflected storyline, Peril on Gorgon will have you investigating the origins of the Adrena-Time drug. It's the first of two narrative DLC expansions for The Outer Worlds.

Make sure to check out our full gamescom schedule to find out what else is on the way and our roundup of gamescom 2020 highlights.

:desu:

Last edited:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
TOW is sort of like food that tastes simultaneously bland and wrong, wrong enough to make you want to regurgitate what you just ate.

Quillon

Arcane
supposed to be iconic weapon looks like a shitty tribal staff from a shitty fantasy game

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"Buy our DLC! Check out this fetch quest! Check out all this tall grass you can hide in, just like Horizon Zero Dawn! Plus audio logs, also featured in Horizon Zero Dawn and Bioshock! Get this, we even have fetch quests where you can get a different line of dialogue at the end by revealing or concealing information!"

Other than "more content" they're not really justifying why anyone would want to buy this. A nearly-11 month wait for this?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
"Buy our DLC! Check out this fetch quest! Check out all this tall grass you can hide in, just like Horizon Zero Dawn! Plus audio logs, also featured in Horizon Zero Dawn and Bioshock! Get this, we even have fetch quests where you can get a different line of dialogue at the end by revealing or concealing information!"

Other than "more content" they're not really justifying why anyone would want to buy this. A nearly-11 month wait for this?

You forgot the level design with verticality, just like Dishonored or Baldur's Gate 3 or whatever. :P

Your observation is correct, but history suggests that Obsidian DLC is usually noticeably better than the base game. (I would hope that they didn't spend 10 months making a Bastard's Wound low effort thing)

gruntar

Augur
Super generic fetch quest where you fight a bunch of Marauders and literally fetch a thing for a NPC. If it wasn't explicitly stated, I would never guess it's from DLC and not a random clip from a main game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom