Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's so special about Deus Ex?

• Thread starter Duralux for Durabux
  • Start date

Duralux for Durabux

I don't remember a single redeeming factor about this game and that's surprising because I really wanted to appreciate it, I really did. As for now, it's among other games in my trash tier list of games of the early 2000s.
Am I missing something about Deus Ex ? Or is Deus Ex that bad? Or is it another game overrated by the codex ?

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
Its a game for larpers like Arx Fatalis.
Deus Ex has terrible mechanics all around.
People pretend that anything in it works and they simulate running around empty maps, looking for obvious """secret""" paths.
They pretend like the attrocious VO was funny back then.
You cant reason with guys screaming *lightning bolt**lightning bolt**lightning bolt*, muh immersion.
d i s g u s t i n g

The Great ThunThun*

How DARE you!?
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Attention to details and choices.

Fantastic multi approach level design.

Provisions for all player choices.

Brilliant story and characters.

Great atmosphere.

Was it that hard.

Duralux for Durabux

Ain't the fact that I'm a newfag the problem.
I have played Jagged Alliance 1-2, other classics and very old games and I'm still enjoying those games a lot.
When it comes to Deus Ex, I have to endure:
  1. Atrocious, painfull full of shit gameplay
  2. Cliché conspiracy story
  3. Hilariously bad running animations
  4. Weapons that look like toys in hands
  5. Shitty VO
  6. shitty and rare RPG elements
Unlinear levels that caters to different play styles.
Only for that?
I mean I don't remember that many possiblities but either way I would prefer Jagged Alliance 2 over Deus Ex when it comes to different play styles and Doom or Ultima Underworld when it comes to unlinear levels.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
You read like you haven't touched it since the early 2000's. And if that's the case then you really ought to do some research on how to upscale it for the modern era.

Mechanics allowing for diverse playstyles, the ability to swap between combat and stealth rather than pigeonholing yourself into one or the other, environments pocketmarked with alternative routes and secrets incentivizing their clever traversal and exploration, a narrative examining the interplay between man and government and other totally boring bits and bobs about social commentary yadda, yadda, yadda.

Its a game for larpers like Arx Fatalis.
Deus Ex has terrible mechanics all around.
People pretend that anything in it works and they simulate running around empty maps, looking for obvious """secret""" paths.
They pretend like the attrocious VO was funny back then.
You cant reason with guys screaming *lightning bolt**lightning bolt**lightning bolt*, muh immersion.
d i s g u s t i n g

I know a game that you'd absolutely love!
FzrzsHQ.jpg

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
there are no consequnces to pseudo choices in desu ex dafuk
level design as said before is laughable and breaks all immersion with crawling through tubes placed for you
brilliant characters is a brilliant joke, i smiled
atmo is dead in the first level, empy fields everything is empy, hongkong is ok, rest shit

Lemming42

Arcane
It's one of the only games with a genuinely interesting story and setting. Aside from that, most (not all, but most) levels are complex and allow you to play in a variety of ways, even if the mechanics for both stealth and combat are pretty janky.

If you don't like the story, world and characters, though, you won't like the game.

Oh, also, outstanding soundtrack.

Duralux for Durabux

Oh yeah, and a great soundtrack too.
I'm very mixed about the soundtrack, sometimes it's good sometimes it's the opposite
there are no consequnces to pseudo choices in desu ex dafuk
level design as said before is laughable and breaks all immersion with crawling through tubes placed for you
brilliant characters is a brilliant joke, i smiled
atmo is dead in the first level, empy fields everything is empy, hongkong is ok, rest shit
When it comes to Level design , I agree with you it's usually incoherent tubes or ventors placed only for the player to go in.
You read like you haven't touched it since the early 2000's. And if that's the case then you really ought to do some research on how to upscale it for the modern era.

Mechanics allowing for diverse playstyles, the ability to swap between combat and stealth rather than pigeonholing yourself into one or the other, environments pocketmarked with alternative routes and secrets incentivizing their clever traversal and exploration, a narrative examining the interplay between man and government and other totally boring bits and bobs about social commentary yadda, yadda, yadda.

I know a game that you'd absolutely love!
FzrzsHQ.jpg
I still have nightmares when I remember about the stealth mechanic of Deus Ex, Worst shit I have ever seen.(hyperbole)

Zlaja

Arcane
Deus Ex predicted the following:

9/11 (sort of)
War on terror
Mass world wide pandemic
Strict lockdown measures
Globalisation leading to shit wages and homelessness
UN turning into globalist maffia
Information consolidation
China meddling on US soil
Alex Jones

That's not bad.

Gargaune

Magister
Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
No such thing as a foolproof process, I guess.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
  • Atrocious, painfull full of shit gameplay
  • Cliché conspiracy story
  • Hilariously bad running animations
  • Weapons that look like toys in hands
  • Shitty VO
  • shitty and rare RPG elements
I wanted to compose a detailed analysis of every point above, but then realized that OP is a troll or retard, so I decided not to. Instead:

Thread is shit, OP is faggot.

Duralux for Durabux

Bullshit. Nobody is maladjusted and autistic enough to try a game ten times after considering it utter shit.

You overplayed your hand, faggot.
I wanted to touch the light of "crème de la crème " of this forum. Because after having checked this forum for hours, one game that still goes among the top in this forum is Deus Ex. So I thought to myself oh I may have missed something.
I wanted to compose a detailed analysis of every point above, but then realized that OP is a troll or retard, so I decided not to. Instead:

I really wanted to appreciate it, I really did

Last edited by a moderator:

Pentium

Learned

Pretty much. Anyway, I'll keep my unposted reply for some time.

Bullshit. Nobody is maladjusted and autistic enough to try a game ten times after considering it utter shit.

You overplayed your hand, faggot.
One of my friends said that he had tried to play Fallout 2 like 10 times or so before he actually finished it. Said he could never get past the "Temple of Excruciating Boredom" as he called it (he IS a hardcore old games lover and runs an old gaming focused web), having lost saves, taking a break too long etc. When he finally finished it, it was a blast for him, so.

mk0

Learned
I don't remember a single redeeming factor about this game and that's surprising because I really wanted to appreciate it, I really did. As for now, it's among other games in my trash tier list of games of the early 2000s.
Am I missing something about Deus Ex ? Or is Deus Ex that bad? Or is it another game overrated by the codex ?
I tried 10 times to enjoy this game without success.
uGI4YLZ.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom