Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anyone else grow up not understanding the concept of "bad controls"?

Mudran

Novice
Here I thought this could be a nice conversation, but it was removed under rule 4, which is - talk about the title - I think it was about the title - bad controls.

Mudran

Novice
I didn't make the thread. I really want to know why do you think this discussion about PC bad controls was removed. The link was just a proof, but maybe screenshot would be better.

Unwanted

Ataraxia

Unwanted
OP please go ahead, tell us more.

Share to us some personal experience you had playing games that have "bad" controls.

Falksi

Arcane
Bad means good in 80's speak though.

c3676ab0c275f1edcc52877bc8aa7100.gif

Mudran

Novice
WOW, OK, nvm. I was wondering if I can talk here about things not allowed on reddit, but I guess I should pick up uknown nick name, because this is what you get from people who admire freedom of speech.
It is like with Jim Sterling - he looks so edgy and free, untill you say something he dosn't like and doesn't agree with.

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
Highly intellectual individuals like you and me are often misunderstood and suppressed for our opinions. Dont fret about these people, they will never get it.
I tip my fedora to you, my good Sir!
How did you like the driving mechanics in Gothic? I used my Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog and it was a treat.

nowadays controls are pretty much codified and standardised, at worst you can have slow, sluggish controls, truly "bad" controls are rare.
on the other hand, bad interfaces abund, proliferate and multiply, partly because they're forced to be built with controllers in mind, fuck joypads, and partly because games are coded by retards who'll just throw some buttons and nested menus around hoping "it just works".

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
nowadays controls are pretty much codified and standardised, at worst you can have slow, sluggish controls, truly "bad" controls are rare.
on the other hand, bad interfaces abund, proliferate and multiply, partly because they're forced to be built with controllers in mind, fuck joypads, and partly because games are coded by retards who'll just throw some buttons and nested menus around hoping "it just works".

Yeah, the only actual control issue I ever have is shitty mouse aim, because of acceleration or some other console tactic. Shitty interfaces are everywhere though, the most recent and high profile example being Red Dead Redemption 2, which uses a preposterous amount of bullshit keystrokes and UI steps to do very simple things.

because they were mauled to fit on a controller and then reconverted to pc not caring about them making sense, just straight porting of strokes.

Ivan

Arcane
"Bad controls" are normally a design choice. When I encounter them, I adapt. I love them for being different and making me change my way of thinking. The last example of this was Volgarr the Viking. It has a jump whose trajectory you can't change once you're in midair (unless you use up the precious double jump).

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
As I get older, I begin to understand that very few games have bad controls. That's not to say they don't exist, but most peoples ideas of bad controls are usually just slightly different controls or tank controls. Those that complain about the latter would do well to play Resident Evil Outbreak File 2 and then get back on their issues. I'd whine about the former, but that'd be hypocrisy, if I can't adjust the mouse aim perfectly, I have a terrible time of things.

laclongquan

Arcane
I didn't make the thread. I really want to know why do you think this discussion about PC bad controls was removed. The link was just a proof, but maybe screenshot would be better.
Dawg, because they are NOT Codex, okay? Being a newcomer mean you dont understand how open and free RPGCodex truly are. But this should provide an illustrated and easy to understand description.

"They delete a thread for no reason you can think of".

mk0

Learned
'Bad' controls can add a lot of depth to a game. The OG Tomb Raider games are infamous for their tank control scheme, however the rigid controls are what make the simplistic level design challenging and engaging, the shitty combat also depends on it. The controls are such an integral part of the games' design that you cannot do without them, adding modern controls would just ruin them.

My personal favorite example of this is Armored Core for PS1, a game which I still replay to this day. AC is a third person shooter that was made before analog controls were standard, you control your mech like a tank with the d-pad and strafe with the shoulder buttons(L1, R1), to move the camera up and down to aim you need to use the trigger(L2, R2) buttons, press X to jump and hold to boost. This absolute disaster of a control scheme takes some getting used to since it requires full utilization of six of your fingers and the entire controller, but the feeling of accomplishment you get when you finally master the controls and are able to make your mech fly is amazing.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
WOW, OK, nvm. I was wondering if I can talk here about things not allowed on reddit, but I guess I should pick up uknown nick name, because this is what you get from people who admire freedom of speech.
It is like with Jim Sterling - he looks so edgy and free, untill you say something he dosn't like and doesn't agree with.

What makes you think we admire freedom of speech here, the codex hivemind prefers curated discussion over Fallout and PST, not reddit

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
All of the Mass Effect games had similar issues, from the absurd layers of menus to add mods to guns to having to press Esc multiple times to back out of all the menus you've gone through. So needlessly fiddly and tedious.

You triggered me by reminding me of Mass Effect's inventory UI. :argh:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom