Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gloomwood - Thief-ish stealth horror game from New Blood Interactive - now available on Early Access

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Just finished the demo. Worth playing!

I wonder if the demo shows all there is to see, or if there are more enemy types, mechanics, or other design surprises. Even if this is it, I could see paying $20 or so for this and getting 10 hours of fun out of it.
There's talk of a reusable rope arrow to look forward to in the form of a harpoon gun, but nothin's known aside from that. I mean, aside from more Stephen Weyte that is.

I'd expect so, the demo has plenty of Gloom but not nearly enough Wood.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Well, i'm not sure if it is exactly a genre, but i think for a game to be called an immersive sim it needs to have a few elements: systems that can affect (and when possible also be affected by) the world state, a player character that can perform a variety of actions that interact with these systems, a progression that is driven via goals that can be solved through the systems (usually by altering the world state), an emphasis on level design (and exploration) that allows goals to be solved in a variety of ways and a form of character growth that affects the player character's use of those actions (be it improving them or unlocking them). Also being first person and real time is usually expected, though Raphael Colantonio seems to disagree with the first (and i'm not going to argue with that, at least not until i see how his new game plays) and i'm not really sure if real time is a requirement (though i cannot think of an example right now).

Anyway, i do not think "immersive sim" was ever clearly defined, but at least these are the things i'm expecting when i read that a game is an immersive sim (...it is also why i do not see all of LGS games as immersive sims).
Also it should have a save everywhere feature. Checkpoints suggest a more streamlined gameplay, although it may be just a missing feature inly in the demo (I am not optimistic).

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
They should see to it to have "Save everywhere" and then implement the appropriate design around it to make it feel challenging and satisfying. Even if that entails making large AI, weapons, difficulty and level design changes.

Save everywhere should be a commandment for every game designer with self respect.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, and every game has to have a jump button where you jump your full body height and punch straight up with a "boop!" sound. How else am I supposed to knock golden coins out of flashing ceiling blocks in Planescape, or Civ, or Resident Evil, or ... ? Hello Black Isle, Firaxis, Capcom! You forgot to put in that design feature I like! Idiots!

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Thief 1-2-3, System Shock 1-2, Ultima Underworld 1-2, Deus Ex, etc., all have manual save everywhere. No checkpoints, nor savepoints.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also it should have a save everywhere feature. Checkpoints suggest a more streamlined gameplay, although it may be just a missing feature inly in the demo (I am not optimistic).

Yeah, i mentioned it elsewhere (perhaps in this thread or some Deus Ex thread, i do not remember) but saving and loading exists at a higher level in a game: all games (or at least the vast majority of them) are essentially simulations (even non-immersive sims, even something as simple as pacman is made up of a very simple simulation that is running) and the game's difficulty should be dictated by the simulation's rules and how your actions are handled by those rules.

Saving and loading exists outside the simulation and the game's difficulty should not be affected by that - being able to save right before facing a puzzle or enemy should not affect your (or your character's) ability to solve the puzzle or defeat the enemy. You either can or cannot pass that roadblock (puzzle, encounter), saving/loading should be irrelevant to passing it (this also implies that if your game uses randomness, the random number seed should also be part of the savegame data). Good game design should only be affected by the game's own rules, not by the simulation of those rules (though of course the simulation itself also need to be good, otherwise this is how you get a game with good ideas but awful execution).

The only thing that lack of saves does is forcing the player to repeat puzzles and/or encounters they have already solved/beaten, thus artificially increasing the game's length (repeating sections is not a bad thing by itself, IMO, however it should be something that the player chooses to do within the game's simulation, not something forced by the implementation of the game's simulation). Personally i do not think that increasing the game's length this way is a good thing.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Comparing jumping with saving? Dude, you're just salty now.
Not really. The save system is a part of the design like anything else.

Saving and loading exists outside the simulation
So what? We as players also exist "outside the simulation". Are we irrelevant to the experience as well? Or does the relationship between player and game matter in some way? Hmmmmm

The only thing that lack of saves does is forcing the player to repeat [content]
Absolutely wrong. Adding a punishment consequence to failure increases tension. Tension in games is generally good. Take away that tension and you have made the experience less challenging, less interesting, less fun for a lot of people.

It's fine if you don't like tension. It's fine if you see games as an etch-a-sketch where you just erase anything you don't like in that moment and replace it with whatever you want. Seriously, toy boxes and finger painting can be fun and worthwhile. But to suggest that all games must always give the player total control over every inch of the metagame is simply blind. It's okay for other people to experience games on a different level from you. You don't appreciate limitations, but you don't get to say that no one finds value in them.

Last edited:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Comparing jumping with saving? Dude, you're just salty now.
Not really. The save system is a part of the design like anything else.

[...]

So what? We as players also exist "outside the simulation". Are we irrelevant to the experience as well? Or does the relationship between player and game matter in some way? Hmmmmm

It is about the game's design and how that affects the game's difficulty. Saving and loading is not part of the game's rules, hence not part of the game's design and its difficulty, it is part of the simulation. You as a player are making decisions against the rules, not against the implementation of the simulation - e.g. in a turn based game you can make a decision to attack a character and what matters (and should matter) for the game's difficulty is your decision, but it should not matter if you used your mouse to click on a menu entry, a shortcut key, a touch gesture or a voice command - those are part of the simulation's implementation, not part of the game's rules (which is also why most games that focus on those aspects tend to be gimmicky and lack any depth). The difficulty comes from your decision to attack the character, not how you instructed the computer to do that.

Absolutely wrong. Adding a punishment consequence to failure increases tension. Tension in games is generally good. Take away that tension and you have made the experience less challenging, less interesting, less fun for a lot of people.

I agree about the punishment and tension, however that should come from the game's rules, not the simulation.

You don't appreciate limitations, but you don't get to say that no one finds value in them.

I appreciate limitations, but what i'm saying is that those limitation should be part of the game's own rules. A game should not rely on its metagame for its difficultly.

Zombra

Patron
It is about the game's design and how that affects the game's difficulty. Saving and loading is not part of the game's rules
Of course it is. You have to be able to jump these 3 barrels all in a row. You can't try 500 times on the first one and save when you succeed, then try 500 times on the 2nd one etc. You have to do them in a run. That's obviously a game rule.

When Mario falls in a pit and dies, you don't get to just climb out of the pit and keep going. You have to start the level over. And when you die 3 times, the whole game is over. These are game rules, regardless of whether or not they make sense when LARPing as Mario. In exactly the same way, a save system constitutes a subset of a game's rules.

I appreciate limitations, but what i'm saying is that those limitation should be part of the game's own rules. A game should not rely on its metagame for its difficultly.
Bullshit. Let's have a good reason why not.

Last edited:

RoSoDude

Arcane
It is about the game's design and how that affects the game's difficulty. Saving and loading is not part of the game's rules, hence not part of the game's design and its difficulty, it is part of the simulation. You as a player are making decisions against the rules, not against the implementation of the simulation - e.g. in a turn based game you can make a decision to attack a character and what matters (and should matter) for the game's difficulty is your decision, but it should not matter if you used your mouse to click on a menu entry, a shortcut key, a touch gesture or a voice command - those are part of the simulation's implementation, not part of the game's rules (which is also why most games that focus on those aspects tend to be gimmicky and lack any depth). The difficulty comes from your decision to attack the character, not how you instructed the computer to do that.

I agree about the punishment and tension, however that should come from the game's rules, not the simulation.

Why do you keep repeating that saving and loading is not part of the game's rules? You're making a completely arbitrary distinction in order to categorically dismiss any preferences for checkpointing schema other than your own. The game is the totality of the mechanics (interactivity), systems (rules), and structure of goals. You can't separate the content of the "simulation" from the manner in which the player interfaces with it, including the control scheme and especially the consequences for failure (those are just rules, my dude).

It's absurdly easy to find counterexamples to your user interface example. In a turn-based game, the manner by which you send instructions to the game doesn't add anything to depth or challenge, I agree. But in a real-time game, this is thrown completely out the window! System Shock: Enhanced Edition is substantially easier than the original game due to mouselook, and the gap widens if you assign hotkeys for tasks such as reloading which originally required several mouse clicks. Because there is no reload delay other than the time it took to mouse over and make the appropriate clicks, the hotkey renders magazine capacities on weapons entirely superfluous. There is no sense in which this can be said to be "outside the game's rules". The player has been granted a new way to interact with the game that drastically changes the playing field. The original rule was "ammo count can be reset by the unload button and replenished by the load button", but now the rule is "ammo count is replenished by the reload hotkey", and the difference matters. In fact, most of the depth of System Shock's combat came from manually managing the interface in real time to load the appropriate ammo type, throw grenades, use patches, and toggle cybernetic implants.

You can't just say "the rules of the simulation are whatever I decide makes sense in the game's fiction". Whether you contextualize checkpointing in the setting or relegate it to the pause menu doesn't change its effect on strategic incentives. If Thief had a magical stopwatch forged by the Keepers that Garrett could use to set rewind points and it worked exactly the same as saving and loading does now (activated from a pause menu, same number of slots, etc.), why on earth would this change anything? It's just setting fluff on top of the same game and the same rules. It is far more coherent to just accept that Thief, and most other western PC titles, have rules for setting checkpoints that do not meaningfully restrict their use. To argue otherwise is to insist that NetHack is fundamentally the same game if you copy files back and forth to abuse suspend saves, even though the game's entire design is built around permadeath and procedural generation.

Finally, and I've argued this one already, forcing you to repeat challenges is a legitimate form of difficulty. With savescumming you can simply decide how much you want to repeat, to the point of allowing you to call mulligan on any failure ad infinitum if you wish. Because most (interesting) games cannot be boiled down to completely discrete sequences of challenges, it is silly to argue that this is somehow separate from game difficulty. Every Thief mission is a web of interconnected challenges -- spending a water arrow now means one less later, failing to hide a body could set a wayward patrol on alert, the route you take affects what obstacles you face and from which direction, etc. Being forced to repeat content means being tested on your consistency in tackling each of those challenges as well as your strategic choices in maneuvering through their network. The question of where/when/how to provide checkpoints is one where anyone is free to have a subjective preference, but the expectation that every game always allow for Save and Load Anywhere ultimately means that dumb instakill death trap bullshit ends up in games because it's considered a mild nuisance if you're saving every 15 seconds, but becomes agonizingly frustrating if you're trying to restrict yourself so as to maintain tension and consequence for failure. A better compromise is for games to be built with designer checkpointing in mind (e.g. Doom and Quake are more or less perfectly paced without mid-level saves), but allow the player to opt in to manual saving as a separate mode if the intended game rules are found to be too frustrating. As Gloomwood is doing.

Last edited:

Zombra

Patron
Come to think of it, Gloomwood does have magic phonographs that explain how the protagonist rewinds time. So the save system absolutely is a "game rule" even by Bad Sector's silly LARPing definition. Therefore he must agree that it is perfectly good and justified.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Just today I was playing a RPG with no manual save but automatic savepoints afer major battles. It shouldn't be a problem no? It is the game design, right? Well, after a battle I indulged for a good time in buying and selling my gears and then optimizing my weapons, armors and spells among my characters. My intention was to use my remaining free time before stopping playing, to prepare my characters for a future session of the game. Well to late I realized that I was not able to save my game at this point. From the game point of view no major event had happened (no battles), so no need to save. From my point of view a crucial progression of the game had happened, where I planned and implemented my future combat strategies.
For what fucking reason on Earth I was not able to save my game state?

Imagine if a similar "design" was applied to books or movies. Where, to maximize your enjoyment of the medium, you cannot stop watching or reading when you want, and if you do that you have to rewatch/reread from the start.

Zombra

Patron
Just today I was playing a RPG with no manual save ... My intention was to use my remaining free time before stopping playing, to prepare my characters for a future session of the game. Well to late I realized that I was not able to save my game at this point. For what fucking reason on Earth I was not able to save my game state?
Because that particular design is shit. They didn't have a plan and they didn't think through how it would actually be played.

This is not proof that every game must have save anywhere to not be shit; it only proves that that game is.

P.S. That sucks and I'm sorry it happened to you. I hate that kind of stupidity.

RoSoDude

Arcane
Just today I was playing a RPG with no manual save but automatic savepoints afer major battles. It shouldn't be a problem no? It is the game design, right? Well, after a battle I indulged for a good time in buying and selling my gears and then optimizing my weapons, armors and spells among my characters. My intention was to use my remaining free time before stopping playing, to prepare my characters for a future session of the game. Well to late I realized that I was not able to save my game at this point. From the game point of view no major event had happened (no battles), so no need to save. From my point of view a crucial progression of the game had happened, where I planned and implemented my future combat strategies.
For what fucking reason on Earth I was not able to save my game state?
The possibility of bad designer checkpointing does not mean that unrestricted player checkpointing is always the answer:
Take everything you've said and apply it to infinite medkits you can apply from the pause menu -- "The designer might not put enough medkits in this Doom map, so we should give up on the concept of finite healing entirely".

Imagine if a similar "design" was applied to books or movies. Where, to maximize your enjoyment of the medium, you cannot stop watching or reading when you want, and if you do that you have to rewatch/reread from the start.
The "Sandwich Argument" has had a rebuttal for decades in the form of Suspend Saves: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SuspendSave

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
The "Sandwich Argument" has had a rebuttal for decades in the form of Suspend Saves: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SuspendSave

Exactly!!! Lets assume for a moment that suspended saves effectively answer my previous objection (they do not) then why suspended saves are basically never implemented in games that features no freedom of save?

And this brings my following observation. No freedom of save is not born from a specific game design, but from a technical limitation. The design has arrived after the existence of the limitation.

Now it is not more a technical limitation of the hardware, but it is nevertheless a limitation (of the software). It stems from the fact that save everywhere features are substantially more complex to implement than checkpoints and savepoints at the software levels. Many developers prefer to do not implement this feature for this simple motive. Otherwise they had no reason to not implement at least suspended saves because these cannot contradict the "game design".

Have you noted that in the past a big percentage of PC games (RPG, Adventures, FPSs) implemented a save everywhere feature, it was considered really as a given, while now is rarer and rarer? In particular if you consider indie games, it is basically absent.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I can't do the save anywhere vs not debate shit again, but I will point out that the developer said on Twitter the final version will have a save anywhere option for all difficulties.

Zombra

Patron
Exactly!!! Lets assume for a moment that suspended saves effectively answer my previous objection (they do not) then why suspended saves are basically never implemented in games that features no freedom of save?
I agree that suspend saves are almost always a good thing.

(Judging by the demo, Gloomwood doesn't realllllllly need them as levels aren't going to be so huge that it's a big deal to walk back to a phonograph.)

Now it is not more a technical limitation of the hardware, but it is nevertheless a limitation (of the software). It stems from the fact that save everywhere features are substantially more complex to implement than checkpoints and savepoints at the software levels. Many developers prefer to do not implement this feature for this simple motive. Otherwise they had no reason to not implement at least suspended saves because these cannot contradict the "game design".
I agree that it's bad for developers to half-ass their save system. However, I strongly resist the suggestion that limited saves are usually due to laziness or tech issues. Plenty of games use limited save systems with strong and smart design intention.

Have you noted that in the past a big percentage of PC games (RPG, Adventures, FPSs) implemented a save everywhere feature, it was considered really as a given, while now is rarer and rarer? In particular if you consider indie games, it is basically absent.
Honestly, I can't remember the last time I've been annoyed by a limited save system. Most designs I encounter limit saves in an intentional way or not at all.

I will point out that the developer said on Twitter the final version will have a save anywhere option for all difficulties.
Not good enough! All games must be save everywhere only! No one can be allowed enjoy the tension of a limited system!

Last edited:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Of course it is. You have to be able to jump these 3 barrels all in a row. You can't try 500 times on the first one and save when you succeed, then try 500 times on the 2nd one etc. You have to do them in a run. That's obviously a game rule.

Not really, the rule in what you describe is what will happen when you perform the jump action: how far you will jump (height, distance), what will happen when you hit the ground (e.g. will any sound that can be heard from other entities be made? Will that affect your character's state? Will you get any damage if the fall speed is over some threshold? etc), what will happen if you hit the barrel instead of jumping over it, etc.

Rules specify how the simulation works - ie. the rules of the gameplay itself.

The "you have to jump over these 3 barrels" is a setup (and depending on the game, can be the requirement for some sequence), not a rule. You can use rules to create such setups (and requirements) but these are not rules by themselves.

When Mario falls in a pit and dies, you don't get to just climb out of the pit and keep going. You have to start the level over. And when you die 3 times, the whole game is over.

Right, however the roadblock here is the pit - you can either jump (or fly) over the pit or you cannot. Being able to save the game does not affect your ability to do that.

These are game rules, regardless of whether or not they make sense when LARPing as Mario. In exactly the same way, a save system constitutes a subset of a game's rules.

I've already mentioned above what i mean with rules here, but to make it clear, in your Mario example the only rules are the "if you fall in a pit, Mario dies", "if Mario dies you have to start the level over" and "if you die 3 times the game is over". That last part is the only relevant rule because it wouldn't make much sense if the game allowed you to save and load, however while it makes the game harder to complete, that additional difficulty does not come from the game's own rules (including the "if you die 3 times the game is over" rule because if you had save and load that rule would be nullified and only the other rules would remain).

Also i'm not sure where the LARPing part comes from, i never mentioned anything even remotely relevant. Everything i've mentioned so far is about the game's simulation and rules, not about anything that happens in your head.

Why do you keep repeating that saving and loading is not part of the game's rules? You're making a completely arbitrary distinction in order to categorically dismiss any preferences for checkpointing schema other than your own. The game is the totality of the mechanics (interactivity), systems (rules), and structure of goals. You can't separate the content of the "simulation" from the manner in which the player interfaces with it, including the control scheme and especially the consequences for failure (those are just rules, my dude).

I do not think there is arbitrary distinction, i describe above in my reply to Zombra what i mean with "rules" - which include what i think you mean with mechanics. Saving and loading is about the simulation (as i wrote in a previous post, i see the entire game as a simulation, not just to the individual game systems)'s state and as such it exists at a higher level than the simulation itself.

One way you can think of it is as if the game was running inside an emulator and saving and loading were the emulator's savestates. A (good) game should not be affected by the existence of savestates.

And since you point out the control scheme, i think your next example is interesting... :-P

It's absurdly easy to find counterexamples to your user interface example. In a turn-based game, the manner by which you send instructions to the game doesn't add anything to depth or challenge, I agree. But in a real-time game, this is thrown completely out the window! System Shock: Enhanced Edition is substantially easier than the original game due to mouselook, and the gap widens if you assign hotkeys for tasks such as reloading which originally required several mouse clicks.

...because i agree with what you write (SSEE is easier) but not the implication of it: the original SS1 is indeed harder, but that difficulty does not come from the game's own rules, but from the interface that it gives you to interact with those rules, which is a bad way to introduce difficulty (obviously this was not the fault of Looking Glass, they just didn't knew better at the time and i'm 100% sure that they'd do differently if they designed the game while knowing about the better control schemes that were introduced in games later).

Keep in mind that i do not disagree that saving and loading affect the game's difficulty - and in this case i also do not disagree that a game can be easier or harder based on its control scheme. My point is that because these are not part of the game's actual rules, any difficulty they introduce is not due to good design but either due to being unable/not known how to do better (e.g. the technical limitations for savegames in Mario mentioned above or not knowing how to do a better interface in System Shock 1 here) or due to simply being lazy (most modern games that pad their length by disallowing saving).

Because there is no reload delay other than the time it took to mouse over and make the appropriate clicks, the hotkey renders magazine capacities on weapons entirely superfluous. There is no sense in which this can be said to be "outside the game's rules".

It actually is, the game's rules is about what will happen when you perform the reload action (do you have spare ammo? which weapon will obtain the ammo? how much ammo will be moved to the weapon? etc), what you describe is the interface to that action (reload key or fumbling with the mouse in the on-screen GUI). My entire point is that the game's difficulty should come from the former (actions, rules), not the latter (interface, saving the simulation state).

The player has been granted a new way to interact with the game that drastically changes the playing field. The original rule was "ammo count can be reset by the unload button and replenished by the load button", but now the rule is "ammo count is replenished by the reload hotkey", and the difference matters.

And just to make it clear again, these are not rules, these map the interface to actions which are what rules work with, but they are not rules themselves. You can introduce difficulty by making the interface harder to use, but - IMO at least - this is not the sort of difficulty a good game should have.

In fact, most of the depth of System Shock's combat came from manually managing the interface in real time to load the appropriate ammo type, throw grenades, use patches, and toggle cybernetic implants.

I do not think any depth can come from the interface in a game but instead it should come from the game's own rules - ie. how your actions (regardless of how you interface with those actions as a player) affect the systems that make up the game's simulation. The interface should be the proxy between you as a player and the simulation (e.g. you have a health meter because you cannot feel your avatar's actual health state and you have a use key because you cannot reach into the game's world though your monitor to touch/push/rotate/etc the objects you want to interact with) but the depth is something that is part of the simulation.

You can't just say "the rules of the simulation are whatever I decide makes sense in the game's fiction".

Um, no, i never mentioned anything like that.

If Thief had a magical stopwatch forged by the Keepers that Garrett could use to set rewind points and it worked exactly the same as saving and loading does now (activated from a pause menu, same number of slots, etc.), why on earth would this change anything? It's just setting fluff on top of the same game and the same rules.

Assuming i understand your example, then sure it wouldn't change anything, but also it'd only be nothing more than fluff - essentially not any different than the gizmos, gears and sounds that Thief makes in its menu screen.

To argue otherwise is to insist that NetHack is fundamentally the same game if you copy files back and forth to abuse suspend saves, even though the game's entire design is built around permadeath and procedural generation.

I've already mentioned it above, but i do not imply that a game cannot be designed with saving and loading in mind, however doing that makes for a worse design when it comes to difficulty as saving and loading is not part of the game's simulation. I not believe that NetHack (or any other similar game) is a better game because it disallows saves, it is a cheap form of difficulty that should instead come from the game's rules (which is something that NetHack already has in droves anyway).

Finally, and I've argued this one already, forcing you to repeat challenges is a legitimate form of difficulty.

And to be clear, i never claimed that repeating challenges isn't a form of difficulty, however what i claim is that it is a cheap form of difficulty that should not exist in a game with a good design and instead the game should rely on its actual rules and systems for that difficulty.

Being forced to repeat content means being tested on your consistency in tackling each of those challenges as well as your strategic choices in maneuvering through their network.

I'm not sure how one follows the other, being forced to repeat content only means that you are forced to repeat content - what you do in that repeat is up to you. You may do the same choices, you may do something else (assuming the game allows for that, which is very often not the case).

The question of where/when/how to provide checkpoints is one where anyone is free to have a subjective preference, but the expectation that every game always allow for Save and Load Anywhere ultimately means that dumb instakill death trap bullshit

Both where/when/how to provide checkpoints and what constitutes dumb instakill death trap bullshit are subjective, however...

ends up in games because it's considered a mild nuisance if you're saving every 15 seconds, but becomes agonizingly frustrating if you're trying to restrict yourself so as to maintain tension and consequence for failure.

...only being able to save and load anywhere at least saves you from the badly designed parts of a game (yes, games should not be badly designed, but this never happens in practice and when in doubt i'd rather err on the side of the player having more options to handle their situation).

A better compromise is for games to be built with designer checkpointing in mind (e.g. Doom and Quake are more or less perfectly paced without mid-level saves)

This is largely reliant on the individual and i'm certain that many people do not find Doom and Quake perfectly paced - which is also why these games allow you to save and load anywhere.

but allow the player to opt in to manual saving as a separate mode if the intended game rules are found to be too frustrating. As Gloomwood is doing.

Gloomwood, at least from the descriptions given so far, seems to associate difficulty with the ability to save and load anywhere, which is what sparked the entire discussion since -as i wrote several times so far- difficulty should come from the game's own rules and systems instead of the ability to save and load. While what you describe can be an option for those who want it, similar to something like the permadeath or ironman other games have, it should be something independent of the game's difficulty.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Come to think of it, Gloomwood does have magic phonographs that explain how the protagonist rewinds time. So the save system absolutely is a "game rule" even by Bad Sector's silly LARPing definition. Therefore he must agree that it is perfectly good and justified.

I repeat it in a separate post, but i'm not sure where the LARPing part comes from, my comments are about the game's own rules not anything that happens in your head or even in the game's story. About what i mean with "rule", see my previous post (which should also make obvious my opinion about the phonographs).

Zombra

Patron
If "pressing the F button makes you move up" is a rule, how on earth is "pressing the G button makes time rewind" NOT a rule? The distinction is entirely arbitrary. You seem to really really want to draw a line where none exists. These are all systemic responses to player actions, nothing more nor less.

I not believe that NetHack (or any other similar game) is a better game because it disallows saves.
I mean, you can have that opinion if you want, but it doesn't hold water as an argument. Millions of players enjoy games like this because of the limitations (and they don't care whether you call it a game mechanic or a simulation system element. Why would anybody care what label you put on it?). Again, it's okay if you are not one of those players, but this air of authority you're trying to assume is flatly insulting.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Issue with the Mario comparison is that it's a fast game, both in loading and level size. You die in Mario, you rarely go "oh man I have to do all this shit again!" You're back to where you were in no time, and the path to get back is simple and fast-paced. Also those are short games in general, which are designed around the idea of playing them over and over to get further. Also also, they were made for kids, who have infinite free time outside of school and who parents want to distract as long as possible.

Repeating content in a game like Thief is very different. If levels had no saves, or only a few checkpoints, and you get caught and killed, then you're going to have to repeat a significant amount of relatively slow-paced gameplay. Plus it's aimed at adults who have a family that can walk in any second and require their time. It's an entirely different thing.

Zombra

Patron
Issue with the Mario comparison is that it's [different from Thief].
Of course, and that's the point. There is no "one size fits all" save system that all good games must use, and this is why I get so triggered when people make dumbass blanket statements about "Save everywhere should be a commandment for every game designer with self respect."

In the case of Gloomwood, I see a few people saying "How could they use a different system from Thief? It's supposed to be exactly like Thief!" Only it's not, of course. Rogers and Szymanski didn't just forget to make the save system like Thief's, and they weren't too lazy to code it (save anywhere is already in the game on easy difficulty). Clearly, the devs wanted this game to have more tension, and to take more cues from survival horror games like Resident Evil with its "typewriter rooms". Having actually played the Gloomwood demo, with this presumed goal in mind, I feel they succeeded. I felt relief when I found a phonograph, and I felt anxiety building more the longer it had been since I touched one. This is exactly the kind of emotional response you want from your players when making a horror game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom