Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"DRPG" Stranger of Sword City

Efe

Erudite
you probably will have a harder time at the end.
you at least want your cleric and wizard to have leveled both of those classes.. (so for minimum work start your wizard as cleric.. and cleric as wizard)
i dont remember much but even if ur not gonna do much at least do knight 1.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
This game is very cool, but has at least 2 flaws that weakens it a lot compared to elminage.

- Encounter design is weak. HP bloat and not interesting packs. In Elminage you have nasty synergies and powerful enemies.

- Boring magic. Compare the spells in this game with elminage ones. Not enough power and very uninspired.

It's very polished but it's mechanics pale in comparison to a masterpiece like Elminage Gothic.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
IMO, just dual class mages and clerics, like Efe wrote.
Martials/ninjas and such will be better mostly pure IMO (at most maybe cherrypick a few initial levels, forget about aiming at multiclassing with high level abilities).

Yeah, maybe crazy multiclassing is good for post game... but consider this: do you really want to grind it?

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's really not that hard or annoying to farm the butterflies in the mausoleum of fire.
Just take a few ninjas and have them use assassinate; which has a high hit rate, and a very high crit rate.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's also boring and meta-gamey. And what great do you get from it? Not that much in most cases IMO.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
SoSC remake was dumbed down significantly from the descriptions/notes I read online. It has some new "features", but they're undercut by the base systems being made 'easier' and thus less impactful.

Probably best to just play the original vanilla version for the real experience.

EDIT: I think Dorarnaeliked the re-release better because they added a new post-game dungeon that he really liked? If i'm misremembering here my apologies, which is why I tagged him.

EDIT 2: Never mind, dorar gave his opinion on the re-release here https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...ger-of-sword-city.105149/page-30#post-6103175

He prefers the original version.

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Did Codex ever reach consensus on whether base or Revisited was preferred?
I guess not. I think Steam has the original/basic version, right? I have about 30 hours in the Steam version and it's good and well worth playing on its own. I seem to remember reading that Revisited has extra classes or something but I don't feel like I am missing anything.

Delterius

Arcane
bought as i recalled some people praising this.
What an attrocious UI, possibly worse than dogma. A/D didnt strafe so I obviously went to settings. Took me 5+ min to get there, sometimes mouse clicks work, sometimes doesnt. Also setting was dispaying different window each time. Eventually arrived at keys window randomly. I swear it was random while I was pressing wsad + e/enter to somehow get into keybindings window i saw once. Managed to find it but somehow i changed language to some funny characters. Now I obviously cant do a thing.
Also tutorial shows key bindings in best dork souls fashion.

Im quite mad

EDIT: i mean I did notice that something 'flipped' but I couldnt catch what it was as finally key bindings appeared. This could be the only game I recall that allows for language chance in game?
but is the game still pretty

Delterius

Arcane
bought as i recalled some people praising this.
What an attrocious UI, possibly worse than dogma. A/D didnt strafe so I obviously went to settings. Took me 5+ min to get there, sometimes mouse clicks work, sometimes doesnt. Also setting was dispaying different window each time. Eventually arrived at keys window randomly. I swear it was random while I was pressing wsad + e/enter to somehow get into keybindings window i saw once. Managed to find it but somehow i changed language to some funny characters. Now I obviously cant do a thing.
Also tutorial shows key bindings in best dork souls fashion.

Im quite mad

EDIT: i mean I did notice that something 'flipped' but I couldnt catch what it was as finally key bindings appeared. This could be the only game I recall that allows for language chance in game?
but is the game still pretty
only if you are into underage cat grillz with big tits
i like the human wizard portrait and the overall lack of gnomes

mogwaimon

Magister
if you don't like the art you might be on the decline nuAnimu style. just look at original Kyo compared to shitKyo it's just terrible
maxresdefault.jpg

Stranger-of-Sword-City-Comparison-1.jpg

Modron

Arcane
Both those are pretty animu compared to some of the possible portraits for characters.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's not like the type B art is bad on a technical level...

IMO It fails for 3 reasons:
1. It completely mismatches the tone and atmosphere of the game
2. most of the time It's at best poor imitation of the original work in a different style.
3. being a poor imitation, the majority of the Type B artwork is missing various details present on the original, some of which are rather important and essential to various events and characters.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Both those are pretty animu compared to some of the possible portraits for characters.

Because bottom screenshot is from new "updated" artwork. Original game still had the anime look, but definitely grounded in grit, I guess?

So-SC-PSTV-capture-10.jpg

Zeriel

Arcane
2021 is a long time to wait for a game that just looks like SOSC reskinned, but hey, I'll take it. Should be more fun than anything coming out from the west.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sadly it appears that the new cut of SoSC won't be a free upgrade. Probably can't use an existing save file either. Ah well.

Manisan

Novice
I'm having problem. I already have 90 hours of playing, my principal team have level 38. I thought that I finished the game, I killed the final boss, but then showed to me the lucifive. What can I do? D: he destroy me too fast after this point. It's the black palace version, and I am in normal dificulty. How much I need to grind?

Last edited:

Manisan

Novice
I dont know if it is the last area, because the credits doesn't showed to me, I'm in ark of eternity, Marilith became a monster, I killed her then Lucifive appears. I see that I gave most of my blood stones to Alm, not all: 25 to Alm, 12 to Marilith, and 04 to Riu. I think that I take the bad route, to the bad ending. But I don't know how kill Lucifive, he seems too much stronger even with I am in level 38, I dont have spirit wall or sky dragon :\ the strategy seems confuse to me. If I farm until level 45 is possible to beat him? My principal team is: 1 samurai, 2 knight, 1 archer, 1 mage and 1 cleric, I thinking about change the archer and put another mage.

Efe

Erudite
I dont remember names at all but just use spell shield/block ability after he charges up the big attack
classes shouldnt matter much.. didnt you class change anyway? you should have all important skills.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom