Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Worst RPGs All Time?

Metatron

Augur
Kind of surprised that nobody has mentioned Pool of Radiance : Ruins of Myth Drannor yet.
I actually did 3 posts above you.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
2211578-fallout2front.jpg

:troll:

Not funny.

:rpgcodex:

This is srs business.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Kind of surprised that nobody has mentioned Pool of Radiance : Ruins of Myth Drannor yet.

It's far from the worst one, it's actually fun for a while, like 5-10 hours and then it becomes tedious but if it was the worst cRPG, we'd have nothing to discuss around here but good games and masterpieces.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Though the formatting thing wasn't my problem with it (it lucklily didn't happen to me).
This shit has been fixed a century ago. I'd be really surprised if it happened to anyone here. I heard this mentioned dozens of times and never ONCE first hand. Please Codex prove me wrong, and let some miserable soul whose hard drive the game has formated come forward.

Lilliput McHammersmith

Neverwinter Nights 1.
I asdffdsa
Dragon Age 2, Oblivion, Fallout 3?
Guys, you're so fucking mainstream.

What about jewels like Mistmare? Pearls like Metalheart: Replicant's Rampage? Rubies such as Heath: the Unchosen Path? Sapphires like Gorasul: Legacy of the Dragon?

Filthy casuals. Codex, you dissapoint.

The point is mainstream "cRPG" are by far the worst ones, i'm sure you can salvage hours of fun from most forgotten mediocre TB cRPG most of us never heard about.
Meanwhile, 10 minutes of DAI would trigger an epileptic seizure for most of us.

I plan to start my first and propably last DAI playthrough soon. Wish me luck, or merely survival!
That game sucks so bad. All of the characters are terribly boring, the combat is one of the worst I have ever played, and the design of the world doesn't match the previous entries at all, not to mention the MMO-style quests, as well as gating content behind "Power" which is one of the worst mechanics in any RPG I have played. I probably hate Dragon Age Inquisition more than any other game I have played.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
While by no means the worst RPG ever, of all the RPGs I can recall playing in the last ten years, the one that causes in me the strongest feelings of revulsion is Divinity: Original Sin.

It's hard to really pinpoint why, but it likely stems from what I feel to be a hint of an insult to the player's intelligence on the part of Swen/Larian. It's like there's some big joke that they're all in on and that you'll never get. You have to play the game their way, there's never really any payoff for getting anything accomplished in it, and it's almost punishment to try to get past the first 20 or so hours in it.

I'll never finish that game.

Ialda

Learned
Jade Empire. It felt pretty insulting when you have been waiting to play a good CRPG set in ancient China for years and then you get to play that piece of shit. It was the game that killed Bioware to my eyes.

Ultima 8 was also pretty bad.

I actually liked it.

Granted, it was my first Ultima game so I'm probably biased, still... :lol:

FriendlyMerchant

I think we're forgetting something here good friends. That the worst RPG in the world is also one of the worst games to be released
tth_SCREEN_1000.jpg

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
While by no means the worst RPG ever, of all the RPGs I can recall playing in the last ten years, the one that causes in me the strongest feelings of revulsion is Divinity: Original Sin.

It's hard to really pinpoint why, but it likely stems from what I feel to be a hint of an insult to the player's intelligence on the part of Swen/Larian. It's like there's some big joke that they're all in on and that you'll never get. You have to play the game their way, there's never really any payoff for getting anything accomplished in it, and it's almost punishment to try to get past the first 20 or so hours in it.

But when I say it...

Bloodeyes

Arcane
I think the Fable series should make the list. Not at the top or anything but those games are corny fucking dogshit and somehow people still like them.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I think we're forgetting something here good friends. That the worst RPG in the world is also one of the worst games to be released
tth_SCREEN_1000.jpg
I cant believe my eyes - an rpg I havent played? What game is this from?
Can't you read? It's the worst RPG in the world and also one of the worst games to be released.

Jokes aside, it's Two Worlds (the worst RPG in the world and also one of the worst games to be released).

Lilliput McHammersmith

But when I say it...

Because Crispy doesn't shitpost all day about hating Larian? Because this whole board is more or less ambivalent towards the company and Swen? Because there might actually be something wrong with you? LOL

Dyspaire

Cipher
Has anyone said Descent to Undermountain yet?

Fun fact: There are many sound assests from Descent to Undermountain that were re-used in the Infinity Engine games. The tavern music from Baldur's Gate is the tavern music from Descent to Undermountain.

And you can tell that deep within the fantastic mess that is the final game, there are glimmers of something great. Which makes it all the worse, of course.

Many of the people involved in making it went on to create some of the greats, and had made great games beforehand as well.

One Christopher Patricia Avellone was the lead designer, I believe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom