Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Video games to up their prices, consumers rejoice

mk0

Learned
Indie and AAA devs will bloat design their games to optimize for high dollar per hour ratio to bring home the bacon, because that's what the market is demanding for. You cannot judge a game by its price and expect the other guy to not figure out how to charge more money for it, by doing so you've given them the rope(70$, MTX, Denuvo) with which to hang you with.

:philosoraptor:

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Nah, Ubisoft pushes now UPlay+ which would give access to all their games for 15 EUR a month. That's 180 EUR per year, 2 or 3 games + their DLC. If I would be an Ubisoft owner, I would up the prices of the games so that the kids would be driven to my monthly subscription. A monthly subscription almost always pays better in the long term. Especially if it's difficult to cancel and you have a couple of titles that many people keep playing for years.

Oh they'll absolutely be pushing people to subscriptions harder and harder in the coming years, until we get to a point where they're confident enough to have subscription exclusives. What is happening to movies, shows and music will absolutely happen to games. Just a matter of time.

Silly Germans

Nah, Ubisoft pushes now UPlay+ which would give access to all their games for 15 EUR a month. That's 180 EUR per year, 2 or 3 games + their DLC. If I would be an Ubisoft owner, I would up the prices of the games so that the kids would be driven to my monthly subscription. A monthly subscription almost always pays better in the long term. Especially if it's difficult to cancel and you have a couple of titles that many people keep playing for years.

Oh they'll absolutely be pushing people to subscriptions harder and harder in the coming years, until we get to a point where they're confident enough to have subscription exclusives. What is happening to movies, shows and music will absolutely happen to games. Just a matter of time.

That alone is not problematic in my opinion, it might spur the growth of the DRM free sector in parallel as alternative. Of course it also might lead to the decline of the DRM free option, but i don't think it is clear, as of now, how that will develop in the future. I am not sure whether subscriptions are attractive enough for games. Movies and series have a better shelf life than games in my opinion. Watching old movies is more common and attractive than playing old games. Subscription models for movies work better due to this. Music is also fairly timeless. Old video games loose a lot more value with time, and become uninteresting to a majority of consumers. Maintaining an attractive catalog of video games is thus a lot harder and subscription models are less attractive as a consumer. I don't think there are any publishers at the moment that can bind many gamers and turn a profit only via subscriptions.

Black

Arcane
cBAvLYz.jpg

Ghulgothas

Arcane

>'“We’re definitely announcing pricing on a title by title basis,” Zelnick said in an earnings call Monday evening'
>'The only issue is that it seems no one company wants to be the first to take the official plunge. Take-Two has been the most vocal, but even then, it only said it would raise the price of one game, and only for the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X versions.'
>'Of course, when one company does it, others will likely follow — so long as there isn’t a harsh and vocal rejection from consumers.'

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
With cross-gen games I really don't see how they can sell it. Imagine paying more for Cyberpunk because you're going to run it on a 2080ti instead of a 1070.

If two years from now you want to charge $70 for Assassin's Creed Whatever, at least you can sell the idea that you put a lot more work into a next-gen exclusive.

mondblut

Arcane
With cross-gen games I really don't see how they can sell it. Imagine paying more for Cyberpunk because you're going to run it on a 2080ti instead of a 1070.

Sell a "premium" version that only runs on 2080ti?

If it's popular, the modders will eventually do the "enhanced texture pack" anyway, so why not profit from it?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I think this is good. Even great.

This year alone I've spent 20 euro on two games I think. I look forward to more reasons not to spent anything on games.

*On the other hand I bought an RTX 2070 Super for Cyberpunk ... Fuck.

don't worry guys, the arrival of epic store will introduce healthy and much needed competition in the market so the prices will drop and quality will rise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom