Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I'm new to CRPGs, what games are the absolute must plays?

rpg_ghoul

Literate
I am 17 years old, and I recently got into The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and have been really enjoying it despite it being a year older than me. It's like I was made for this type of game, so I started to do research and found out about all the classics people love; Fallout, Baldurs Gate, Star Wars: Knights of the old Republic, Planescape: Torment, Gothic, Dragon Age, and it goes on an on. I am excited that there are all these amazing games I've never played, but I don't know where to start. I picked up the first Fallout on GOG for $4.59 and am going to start that tomorrow, but besides that, I just want to know which RPGs should be in priority queue of my backlog.

Last edited:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
In the order they came out.

Fallout 1 -> Fallout 2
Baldur's Gate 1 ( -> Planescape Torment ) -> BG2
Arcanum
VTMB

That's it, you're set. Maybe try Kotor after all of that, if you're still there.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
If you like Morrowind, try Daggerfall Unity as well.

overly excitable young man

Fallout 1,2, Underrail
Gothic 1,2
Temple of Elemental Evil, Knights of the Chalice

The Jester

Cipher
Planescape: Torment
Fallout 1,2
Baldur's Gate 1,2
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
Icewind dale 1
Gothic 1,2
Knights of the old Republic 1,2

Bloodeyes

Arcane
If you're gonna play the classics I'd say the isometric games aged a lot better than the early 3D games in terms of looks. By the way they don't make many new RPGs any more so you're getting into a kind of dead hobby unless you have a high tolerance for janky indies and decade long development cycles. So basically play the isometric 90s classics then run like hell from this place. If you internalize RPG Codex values about game design you will never enjoy another mainstream game. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Don't start with Planescape. Trying to get your first grip on the mechanics of the Infinity Engine games while playing a game where such are secondary to the narrative will only result in a weak grasp of both. Start with Baldur's Gate and then move onto either II or Planescape depending on which appeals to you more. And then Icewind Dale if you've decided you like what you've learned.

Also be prepared to do some jury-rigging when it comes time to play both KOTORs, AFAIK KOTOR 1 hasn't been upscaled to work 100% reliably even on GOG. KOTOR II's much easier to get running out of the box though, TSLRCM is even on the Steam Workshop.

overly excitable young man

Temple of Elemental Evil
Always add an asterisk, and specify that it's a game with no story, only combat.
Fyz1axh.png
= poster with no brain, only nostalgia

Maxie

I am 17 years old, and I recently got into The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and have been really enjoying it despite it being a year older than me. It's like I was made for this type of game, so I started to do research and found out about all the classics people love; Fallout, Baldurs Gate, Star Wars: Knights of the old Republic, Planescape: Torment, Gothic, Dragon Age, and it goes on an on. I am excited that there are all these amazing games I've never played, but I don't know where to start. I picked up the first Fallout on GOG for $4.59 and am going to start that tomorrow, but besides that, I just want to know which RPGs should be in priority queue of my backlog.
stop playing games older than yourself to fit in among people who don't feel in any way particular about you

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Ultima 7. Go earlier if you can stomach it (up to 4 at least).

Wizardry - at least 8. Couldn't handle the earlier ones myself, so I wouldn't blame you if you didn't manage, although I suppose my tastes are all in all questionable (was more of a Might and Magic player, you can try this as well)

Jagged Alliance 2

Play Deus Ex and System Shock 2

Cheers kid. Life is short, play as much games as possible

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fallout 1 isn't that great but it's also a short game so doing a play-through or two shouldn't kill you, if only to understand codex tastes are overrated. fallout 2 is shit, gothic is shit, arcanum is shit and lol @ calling Dragon Age a "classic".

Morrowind, Baldur's Gate 2, VtmB, Diablo 2 and Might & Magic (I prefer 7 but any will do) are the true "classics" in my opinion. Everything else is either too old (wasteland, goldbox) or compromised too much to successfully push the genre to the next level (Pillars of eternity, diablo 3, skyrim, etc.)

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
stop playing games older than yourself to fit in among people who don't feel in any way particular about you
And don't listen to the people who tell you that story is more important than combat.

The Jester

Cipher
So basically play the isometric 90s classics then run like hell from this place. If you internalize RPG Codex values about game design you will never enjoy another mainstream game. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Bruh you talking like we are some kind of evil shadow organization that do not want others to be able to enjoy newer games.:lol:
That's not true there are many newer RPG that Codex admires:
The Age of Decadence
Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The Witcher 3
Underrail
Atom RPG
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
ELEX
And...
By staying here, s/he only gains the ability to distinguish between good rpg and shit ones:positive:

Last edited:
Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
None of those are truly mainstream except Witcher 3 and that's a storyfag game.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Play a real time with pause game like Baldur's Gate first. Turn based Fallout might be a bit much for a newbie.

Or a veteran troll with amnesia.

Also check out Syndicate & Syndicate Wars if you don't mind going back that far. Play Syndicate Wars first, as the graphics of the first game might freak you out.

Farewell young Prince into the night

Darklands, Betrayal at Krondor, Wizardry 6+7, Diablo 1, Fallout 1, Arcanum, Jagged Alliance 2, Grimoire.

ColCol

Arcane
Fallout 1 is a good starter rpg.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom