Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GreedFall - Gold Edition - new colonial-themed action-RPG from Spiders

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
technomancer definitely had more backtracking
can't remember how many times I ran through that same fucking room near the caves with those bug enemies

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yes, that's the part about Spiders game design that I also hate. Still a better game than Greedfall where instead of the same caverns you traversed empty, similar landscapes. But you did it for 60 hours instead of 30.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I played this in one weekend and really liked it but still I cannot easly recommend this game to my friends. They got a nice lore, setting but everything felt shallow, trademark of Spiders.

-We can't really choose a side and stick to it, maybe I want to be an inquisitor who wanted to burn heretics and enlighten the heatens? Nope.
-Combat is a bit rough around the edges (likte the whole damn game) but could be enjoyable... if there was some enemy variety, memorable fights against humans, ambushes etc.
-As tradition, like any other Spiders game backtracking is nuts. At least there were many quick travel points.

Best Spiders game is still Bound By Flame for me.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Wow they have guts.
Colonialism theme is quite hard to pull off though.

It must be tastefully done or it will slide into silly stuff like hurr muh innocent freedom loving noble savages or the civilized foreign colonizers etc.
The causes and effects of colonialism are quite complex so they shouldn't overly simplify it or it will become another banal shit and boring product...
Ammerimut logic

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Is it a lot for Spiders amd their publisher?

Yes. BG2 sold 2 million copies in 3 years I think.

Different times completely.

Outer Worlds which was published around similar time to Greedfall sold 2.8 mln copies.

Outer Worlds was also given away for free to half the industry, so... not a good comparison either. I'd assume Spiders games cost a lot less to develop because of their size and location, so a million copies is probably a solid amount. I believe the publisher praised Greedfall's sales specifically in an investor call, or something like that.

cruel

Cipher
Our world has become a very sad place if games like Greedfall or Outer Words are selling well.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Harthwain

Magister
Our world has become a very sad place if games like Greedfall or Outer Words are selling well.
Greedfall has less tried & tired setting and really interesting approach to the combat system (pausing between actions, if you don't use hotkeys in which case it like Dark Souls).

polo

Magister
I was being edgy, i did not like it a little bit tho. I was very dissapointed when i tried it.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is it a lot for Spiders amd their publisher?

They're an AA company with a couple dozen employees, so it's very good.
47cgZPG.png

Not saying it's not a big success for them, but Spiders is bigger than a couple dozen employees. Though some of them might be temps hired for the project/overseas contractors

And they have 57 people on Linkedin.

Fargus

Arcane
Is Greedfall as bland as Outer Worlds? I was mildly interested by the colonial aesthetic, at a steep discount of course

It feels less kike'd than Outer Worlds, but still a poor game. An improvement over their previous crappy games like Mars War Longs or BBF. But not much.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Is Greedfall as bland as Outer Worlds? I was mildly interested by the colonial aesthetic, at a steep discount of course

It has about 35% more soul. It has the strengths of a much better setting, but it doesn't really use that to it's advantage. Companions and combat are roughly the same level. Quest design is generally a tad more interesting and it attempts to have bossfights. Area design is much better imo. Lore is kinda cool but the narrative is just as weak, so you don't get confronted with the lore naturally. Rpg systems are meh in both games, but Greedfall has much higher build variety and is semi generous with full respecs. You get 5-10 over the course of the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom