Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lets settle this once and for all

Which is more important?

• Total voters

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I voted combat because I think the basic gameplay needs to be at least mildly enjoyable or even the biggest story and immersion fag like I am won't enjoy themselves. Really great combat can also make a game enjoyable even if other aspects suck, a recent example of this being Rage 2 IMO.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
First we must ask ourselves, what is an RPG?
Say what you will about PS:T but at least it had combat. It wasn't particularly good, but it was passable. At least once you leave Sigil (inb4 Lilura's level 120whatever TNO).
Disco Elysium on the other hand... not an RPG.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Combat, it's fun killing shit in a billion different ways.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
don't care about those
True. The only rating that matters:
rating_racist.png

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I quote word count enthusiast MCA:

You have to be able to make meaningful choices in constructing your character and developing your character in the game. That's the first part of it. The other part is the game has to react - the game world, dungeons, people have to react in meaningful ways to those character choices and how your character is developing. I would even argue that having a strong storyline in an RPG is absolutely secondary or even tertiary to those things. It's the game system, it's allowing the players to develop, and it's allowing them to see the consequences of that development in the RPG, and then most RPG players will form a stronger narrative themselves, based on actions that occur in the game that have nothing to do with the NPC they talked to, or the big WOW moment you threw at them. They don't care, like what they care about is their third level dwarven fighter that was able to fight off those twenty orcs in a corridor with a ball-peen hammer, and that's the story that gets them excited and that's the story they tell, because they were able to pull it off with their character build and their game mechanics, and I totally respect that.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Combat needs to be at least decent, even in a game centered around story. If the combat is crap, you have to hide that however well you can. If the story is crap, well, who cares, focus on the combat.

Not.AI

Learned
"Which is more important? Combat or story?"

Neither. You don't need combat. And you don't need story.

Minecraft. Roblox. VRchat. Etc. That is what we need more of.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom