Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Top 5 None PC Games

Falksi

Arcane
Obviously you can play any game on any system with the master machine that its the PC.

But if you weren't able to use a PC for whatever reason for a while, then which 5 games and on which systems would you play instead?

Goromorg

Savant
Mahjong on desktop.
Tenhou.net, I hope.
No, komrade, I meant this kind of desktop:
CDK126-BI.jpg

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I've only owned Nintendo consoles really, mainly for Zelda and Metroid games, so I'll say... a mix of those. Probably Wind Waker, Link to the Past, Breath of the Wild and Metroid Prime 1 and 2.

In a fantasy world where I could have any console exclusive ported to PC though, I'd choose (off the top of my head)... The Darkness, Condemned 2, Bloodbourne and the better Killzone games.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is it about the form factor or just being a PC? If the former, then GPD Win - it is a gaming handheld PC running Windows 10 that can run pretty much every PC game out there (assuming it is within the handheld's low specs - but pretty much any 2D game and most low end and older 3D games run fine).

How about a Raspberry Pi? Since you do not mention any requirement for it to be self-contained (ie. for a console you'd need a TV), does that count? There are a bunch of open source games and emulators (there is even a distro dedicated to DOSBox) to play there. I'm sure the mods for Doom and Quake alone would keep me busy for a long while.

If none of the above count then Android. The vast majority of games in the Play Store suck and the lack of physical controls is annoying, but even though it isn't as open as the PC, Android still allows you to install 3rd party software and there are other places you can find and get good games, emulators, etc. Also the physical controls issue can be solved either with an external controller (i have an Nvidia Shield tablet with its own wireless controller - the tablet can connect to a TV and has its own game launcher with controller-friendly games, so can function like a low powered console, though one that you can install your own games in it. And there are also controllers that wrap around your phone, but i never used one of those myself) or with a dedicated gaming Android device, like those made by JXD or GPD's XD series (personally i have a JXD S7800B), which contain physical controls on the device itself that are can be mapped to gamepad input (for games that support it) or to touch events (for games that do not support it but have on-screen controls).

There are also devices like the Dingoo A320 and its clones, like GCW Zero and Retro Game 350 - these are tiny MIPS-based handhelds that run Linux (OpenDingux) with a gaming-oriented UI and have a bunch of games and emulators ported to them. They are not as popular as the others i mentioned and i wouldn't have them as my only choice, but they can function as a secondary gaming device. For example i did play Commander Keen on my Dingoo some years ago using an open source remake of its engine.

mk0

Learned
If I were quarantined inside my house without a PC, smartphone or internet access, I would take out my PS2 and play Metal Gear Solid 1-3 and Final Fantasy X.

Humanophage

Arcane
Heroes of Might and Magic 3 - iPad
King of Dragon Pass - iPad
Twilight Struggle - iPad
Hearthstone - iPad
Eclipse: New Dawn for the Galaxy - iPad

Generally, tablets have a lot of decent PC ports or boardgames, and are distinctly preferable to consoles because they can have fine elements and small text, which are almost paramount for a good game. Indeed, they actually tend to encourage turn-based gameplay because actiony stuff is often wonky.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I feel like the question and the topic title are at odds with each other. If I don't have access to my computer, I might as well read a book or watch a movie, rather than playing a console or handheld game. It'd probably be informative even. But my top 5 non-PC games...well, most of the games I'd put in that category, I haven't touched in years. In terms of what I actually went to the trouble of continuing to play past the point where I should have left...
1)Alpha Protocol (The PC version is ass to get running)
2)Resident Evil 4
3)Gran Turismo 6
4)Minecraft
5)A deck of cards

Generic-Giant-Spider

I might as well read a book or watch a movie, r

AAAAH FUCK THAT WHO HAS THE TIME WHEN YOU GOT GAMING TO GET DONE?

PUT THAT DRAMA CLASS SHIT BACK IN YOUR HOPE CHEST, SUCKA, AND LINK CABLE THE GAME BOYS FOR SOME INTENSE LORD OF THE RINGS: THIRD AGE TURN-BASED STRATEGY ACTION

YE I USE SARUMAN U MAD U MAD?

dabs on dis nigga

fabrulana

Augur
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
When we get (fairly frequent) power outages in my country which is probably the only time we will stop playing on PC, we would play chess, Monopoly, Betrayal at House on the Hill or Cluedo.
But mostly we will just select songs from musicians or movies and let the other people try and guess who it is or what movie it is from.
My sons also play Summoner's War on the phone for many years - seems like it has a thriving community... tried it but just seemed like a major grind to me.

Azdul

Magister
Hacked Vita is great for ScummVM games - Quest for Glory, Lands of Lore, Eye of the Beholder. They've recently added support for Might and Magic and Ultimas. There are enough physical buttons to replace most of keyboard functions, and 320x200 resolution looks great on small screen.

I guess Pandora or GCW-Zero would work as well, but used Vita is definitely easier and cheaper to get.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Dungeon Master, Chaos Strikes Back, Might&Magic 2, Dark Queen of Krynn and Pools of Darkness on the Amiga.

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
Metroid 2 (GameBoy)
Final Fantasy V (SNES)
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (NDS)

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Noone mentionning Jet Set Willy on zx spectrum? Hunchback on Oric Atmos? These forums are sheer decline.

I'd rather play Tir Na Nog, Dun Darach, Fairlight, Lords of Midnight, Doomdark's Revenge.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom